CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

got one for you guys, change dog food a month and a half ago. went to a no grain dog food(taste of the wild), hoping it would help my dog run cooler. he's running cooler now, but won't tree hard. We had hunted him in the heat before changing food. treed hard...now 2 minute almost gets him.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

powerhouse wrote:
got one for you guys, change dog food a month and a half ago. went to a no grain dog food(taste of the wild), hoping it would help my dog run cooler. he's running cooler now, but won't tree hard. We had hunted him in the heat before changing food. treed hard...now 2 minute almost gets him.

Powerhouse
You have been SUCKED in by high ADS and dumb people!!!! I thank you should Go back to your regular feed These characters on here rave about how good that high priced dog food is and how much differance there is between grain and meat base!!! A great majority don't know beans. They just read what someone is paid to say and then think it will make them look big to agree with it.

If you go back and get your dogs on track again you'll laugh at all the big dog food ads.
==========================
The Swamp Guide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:43 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Dogs are not all the same in their dietary needs. Some react badly to certain ingredients and some need more of certain ingredients than other dogs need to be at their best. Just like some people can't eat as much fat or sugar as others and some need more fiber to feel right dogs have different needs too. Some of my dogs can't have dog food with oatmeal. They love it but the poops will be giant, sloppy messes to pick up and they aren't their usual, running all over the place selves. Give them the same food with rice in it instead of the oatmeal and they're feeling fine and leaving me little, solid piles to pick up. One of them can eat oatmeal all day long and not have any problems at all.

If your dogs do well on a particular feed, it has enough of the daily nutritional requirements and are healthy and active stick with that feed. I don't know what your feeding schedule is but if you feed before hunting try feeding a couple of hours earlier or waiting till after the hunt.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:56 am 
IP:
The only two things that matter about feed are 1) nutrition and 2) how well does your dog tolerate it. If you are feeding a nutritionally-balanced diet and your dog doesn't have a problem with it then you're good to go.

Money does not equal a good food. It's funny, sometimes a low grade dog food costs about $2 less than a high grade food, the only difference is the brand name and how much advertising they do. The food my dog eats costs about $4 more than a bag of Pedigree Crunchy Bites, and the quality is so much higher.

If your dog did well on what he was on, it might be good to stay on that. If you're looking for a new food, see what has worked for other people and check ingredients on every bag you walk by, name or no-name.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:29 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

right now iam feeding my potlickers some expensive feed, supposed to be bout the best, i cant tell no difference from that cheap co op feed. if they was still selling trail blazer that they sold years ago i would be feeding that lol.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:20 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I feed retriver blue bag from tractor supply. It is supposed to be high protein food dogs love it and run run run look healthy. it is 22 a BAG