CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Limber Tail Syndrome
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Does anyone have any knowledge or tips for this syndrome? My 11mo old pup seems to be suffering from it. He has not been diagnosed by a vet yet. I am going to call them in the morning.

I google "limp tail" and the results came back for limber tail syndrome. I read all of the causes and my dog did all of that this weekend. Ran 4 miles, swam, was in the rain and probably a little damp most of the weekend. I did dry him off, but it rained most of the time we were there and he was playing with 3 other dogs, so it was hard to keep him dry.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone could speak from experience on this topic. I have been pretty worried about him, but after reading on this syndrome, I feel a little bit better about the end result. Any advice is appreciated.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Limber Tail Syndrome
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Figured I would give an update on this since no one seemed to know anything about it. Apparently it is a bit more common in the retreiver breeds as they are spending more time in the water than a lot of coon dogs. My dogs tail came back to normal after about a weeks rest. he still occasionally holds it limp for a few seconds before he gets excited, but 95% of the time it looks as if nothing ever happend to him. I did call the vet on this last spring when it happend, and they had no idea what I was talking about. Anyways, if it happens to your dog, just lay them up for a few days, things will come back to normal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just seeing this. Limp Tail is also known as Cold Water Tail. My English Pointer has had it a few times. The only thing to remember is that if it has not healed in a few days you might want to take the dog to the vet and make sure the tail has not been broken.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:53 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Azblue, You are right. Apparently there are a lot of names associated with the same problem. Cold Water Tail, Limber Tail, and Dead Tail are all names I found when researching this issue.

This issue is not very common though, I called my vet to ask about it and she had not even heard of it. Or maybe she just wasnt a great vet!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Actual it is quite common in sporting breeds - Here is a really good article on the subject: http://www.theretrievernews.com/Library ... dWaterTail

Most vets do not know about it unless they are familiar with bird dogs. The first time it happened to my EP I freaked out thinking she had a broken tail. I remembered reading about it on a gundog forum and called my vet to double check and she agreed.