CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We have a jip walker and she has always been finicky about eating. We just recently had to move her because she won't eat with other dog around and she's dangerously skinny. Does anyone know of anything you can feed dogs that will build them up fast? I heard that tuna and cottage cheese will work.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

MY SON GOT A DOG THAT WAS REALY POOR DUE TO WORMS AND JUST GOTTEN A LITTER OF PUPS OFFER HER . THE VET TOLD TO ADD BOILED CHICKEN WITH THE BROTH TO HER FOOD BROGHT HER OUT IN NO TIME BESURE TO GET ALL THE BONES OUT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:56 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

CAT FOOD WORKS.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:55 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

stu9344 wrote:
CAT FOOD WORKS.

cat food will cause liver damage. try some raw meat,powered milk, and some jello water not all at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:04 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

blackntan101 wrote:
stu9344 wrote:
CAT FOOD WORKS.

cat food will cause liver damage. try some raw meat,powered milk, and some jello water not all at the same time.

TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW MY DADS BEAGEL LIVED 17 YEARS WITH LIVER DAMAGE. ALL HE WOULD EAT WAS CAT FOOD. NOT TRYING TO BE AN A%@ JUST WONDERING. DID HE JUST GET LUCKY?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:17 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

stu9344 wrote:
blackntan101 wrote:
stu9344 wrote:
CAT FOOD WORKS.

TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW MY DADS BEAGEL LIVED 17 YEARS WITH LIVER DAMAGE. ALL HE WOULD EAT WAS CAT FOOD. NOT TRYING TO BE AN A%@ JUST WONDERING. DID HE JUST GET LUCKY?

this is what our vet told us,said a cat can eat dog food but if the dog ingestest enough dry cat food it could cause liver damage i dont know why because i thought they was pretty much the same in most cases.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:12 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

the ash in cat food is what is suppost to be bad for dogs, thats what i have always been told....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:11 pm 
IP:
Cat food has a much higher protein content than most dog foods. High protein levels work the kidneys extra hard. Your dog will not die from eating it, however, there is an increased risk of kidney damage/failure as your dog ages. That's why most senior feed dog foods have lower protein contents--easier on the organs.
I don't know anything about ash in cat food; not saying their isn't just that I've never heard anything of it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:45 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Go to the butcher shops get raw bones put tripe in her feed if the other dogs are getting coon cook some of the meat for her 1 or 2 legs with her normal feed or go to a higher fat content feed

PR' Odin's Hammer (black brindle)
PR' North Country's Frosted Blue Moon(maltese brindle)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a red tick female that has been finicky about eating her whole life. I recently discovered a supplement to add to their food called DOG FORTE. I have been feeding it to her with the black bag of BLACK GOLD. She has really filled out in the past two months. I have never had her looking so good. You should give this a try. It is not very expensive either.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

FYI....I just went and looked at the jar and it is actually made by Black Gold.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Raw beaver meat. If you can get her to eat this she will come back fast. If you don't trap then find out who your local trappers are. I'm sure they would spare a few carcasses for a skinny dog.

Home of Haken's Lucky Ace, Haken's Tree Chopper and Haken's Maggie Mae

Ladner BMC's in Alpena Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

HoundRunninHoney wrote:
We have a jip walker and she has always been finicky about eating. We just recently had to move her because she won't eat with other dog around and she's dangerously skinny. Does anyone know of anything you can feed dogs that will build them up fast? I heard that tuna and cottage cheese will work.

What are you feeding your dog?

Many people feed cheap dog foods that are actually unhealthy for a dog (wheat-based, corn-based, etc.), and some dogs are highly-sensititive to these lousy kibbled dog foods.

Also, what do her gums look like? Nice and red ... or pale and anemic?

Do you worm your dog properly? I would say 90% of dog owners don't actually know which wormers do what, how much to use, etc.

There are many reasons why your dog might not want to eat its food, and so only if you provide more information can a proper solution be formulated.

Jack

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:40 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I'd want to know what the dog is eating before I could say what would help it. It may be something simple that the dog was not getting in its regular diet. Rather than add a lot of extra foods look at what it may be lacking and start there.

Worming correctly is also a very good point. The darn things are everywhere and every dog can get them. Certain worms cannot be killed by certain worm medications. Many worms cannot be seen with the naked eye. Take a stool sample to the vet to be sure if they are a problem or not and what kind medicine would be needed to kill them.

It has been over a month. How is the dog now? What did you try? What worked or didn't work? Please post an update.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

try diamond pet food hi energy it will put some weight on that dog. we gat a dog from the pound and it what skin and bones. now it healther than ever and my other dog is a realy pickey eater and will only eat canned food we put her on it it and she loves it i would recmend this for just about eny thing and it about $20 for a 50 pound bag.