CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

OK so Is it common for my bluetick pup (10 weeks old) to keep eating rocks and twigs and leaves???? If so is this bad for him and how do I get him to stop???

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:53 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

You have got to put a stop to it. I have a cousin that had to pay alot of money to get rocks removed from her dog. JMO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok well I assumed it was not good, really wanted to know more if it is common first but the BIGGESt question is......any ideas on how to "Put a stop to it"? Ya know should I get a shock collar and hit it ever timje he picks one up I've heard "put hot sauce in his mouth when you go to get the rock out".. I am just looking for tips or ideas to end it..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:04 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Get that pup some good beef knuckle or shank bones to work on. 10 weeks is about when puppy teeth begin to shed. Pup has to gnaw on something so if you can give a better choice than rocks most pups will take a bone. Smear peanut butter or bacon grease on it or in it if you have to.

Does this one run loose? Maybe keep him in a controlled rock free pen or run. Might be cheaper than have rocks in the gut.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

No he don't run free. He does it when on lead and i take him for his daily walks/runs. He has several things to chew on included are shank bones and hard rubber chew toys. ALL of which he loves but seems like every time I take him out for his walks he gets focused in on things like twigs leaves rocks and even them sticky gum balls from the gum tree and just has to chew and even try to eat them.. When I take it away from him or pull him past it he will fight the lead to get back to it. So much so he will get you to walk with him as he works in and out of places to cicle himself back to it... CRAZIEST thing I ever did see.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:47 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Check his breeding and see if the names 'Chipper' or 'Crusher' are in there. LOL Good luck, sounds like he's a handful.