CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: no stamina
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:00 pm 
IP:
Got a 3 year old walker male. Hunted 4 to 5 nights a week year round. Lately has no stamina and is out of breath after first tree and takes longer to recover than other dogs hunting with him that hardly ever get hunted. Had him to vet twice and have found nothing but I know this dog well and he is not what he used to be. Any ideas, suggestions, or similar experiences?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: no stamina
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:59 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

maybe the heat is getting to him, lay him up for a week or hunt him every other day. that all I can think of. good luck

GOD,family, and the great outdoors

home of AKC dobermans

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:52 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i agree with tnridgerunner. i would hold off hunting so much especially in all this heat. i have to say that i do run my dog but nothing past 70 degrees and if it is bordering that i would only make one drop at most. if the vet hasnt found anything yet i would just wait it out. hes gettin older might not be able to deal with the heat. my buddys dog will be 2 in september and shes like that. hope nothings seriously wrong and good huntin!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:44 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I agree that you should definitely keep him out of the heat. What did the vet look for when you took him in? Did he do bloodwork? Check his heart and lungs? There are a few things that can cause a dog to suddenly lose stamina and heat definitely affects some dogs a lot worse than others but you want to be sure he isn't anemic, doesn't have heartworms, doesn't have some sort of cardiovascular blockage or weakness and doesn't have any unusual bloodwork results.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:03 pm 
IP:
Done blood work. Checked for heart and intestinal worms. Listened to heart and lungs. Tested for blasto. Done urine work. Said lungs did not sound good but could not find any reason why. Blasto test came back negative but still put him on ketaconazole. Been on it for a month but has not changed anything. This dog should be in TOP physical condition but the least bit of exercise gets him to panting so hard he wheezes and sounds all croupy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Razordogs wrote:
Done blood work. Checked for heart and intestinal worms. Listened to heart and lungs. Tested for blasto. Done urine work. Said lungs did not sound good but could not find any reason why. Blasto test came back negative but still put him on ketaconazole. Been on it for a month but has not changed anything. This dog should be in TOP physical condition but the least bit of exercise gets him to panting so hard he wheezes and sounds all croupy.

Consider getting an xray of his heart and having the vet check for a congenital heart defect. A "hole in the heart" makes a dog gas-out very quickly indeed.

Hope it's not that, but it may well be ...

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

if you get it figured out let us know im having the same problem.