CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: big lump under neck
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:19 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have a 5yo running walker and about to mos ago he wouldnt really bark it was like he tried to but got cut off by something. at first i didnt want to worry and thought his throat might be sore or somethin. after to weeks i told my dad totake him to the vet but he didnt so he gradually started getting better than he started eating less and ran out of breath very easy. well the other morning my dad goes out and his neck got really really swollen. just in one night! so finally went to the vet and said it was inflammation or a tumor. but something had to bring the inflammation on. this morning there was just one big really tennis size hard lump on his right side under his chin. has anybody had problems like this? hes 5 so hes nowhere ready to go to his happy place. but the vet said if its inflammation well no within 3-4 days hel b fine or he doesnt have much longer to live. how do you get therough something like this? i took it so hard last night i didnt even get up to go hunting with my other dog which isnt like me.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: big lump under neck
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:34 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Is there any sign of pus? Any fever? I hope it is not a tumor. It could be "strangles". That causes a big abcess in the neck/throat area. It usually will come to a head and start draining and be a really nasty mess of pus but sometimes it has to be lanced if it gets big enough to block his breathing. If he starts really having trouble breathing you should ask the vet to open it. Warm compresses will not hurt a tumor but they'll help bring an abcess to a head faster. If it does turn out to be strangles keep it clean when it starts draining or flies and dirt will make it worse.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

sometimes dogs can get an inflammation of their salivary glands that usually appears as a large swollen area under the jaw on their neck area. i would see if perhaps your veterinarian could do an aspirate of the area and see what type of discharge is in there and if possible send the aspirate for a cytology to check what type of cells are in there (i.e. infection/ cancer/ fat/ saliva).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had my pup just finish a course of antibiotics for a infected saliva gland. She had a knot on her neck that came on really fast, the vet said not so common in pups but older dogs can get damaged glands that need to be removed by surgery. She vet stuck a needle in the lump and drew a sample it looked like really bloody spit, really thick stuff but she bounced back and all ended well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Course of antibiotics for a infected saliva gland. What antibiotics did your vet use for the infected saliva gland?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Probly a long shot but today in my vertabrate anatomy lab we dissected dogs and two of them had cyst like bumps on their chest or under their throat, we opened these up to see what these were and they were encysted larvea of a parasite, probably Ancylostoma caninum (dog hookworm) which grows in the lungs or close to them and reproduce in the digestive trac or the trichina worm wich encysts in the skeletal muscles of vertebrates, these are very easily cureable if caught early, easy test you can do at home for internal parasites thats free is to simply take a piece of scotch tape and (kinda weird but true) blot your dogs anus and examine with a stereoscope (magnifying glass will suffice) if their are any egg looking capsules he has parasites and you will need a common dewormer if none then he is parasite free