CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cut maintenance
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I took my dog out huntin last night. He got tangled up with a pretty mad coon that I shot out. The fight didn't last night a minute after which he went on hunting. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary til I went to laod him up at the end of the night. Noticed a little blood coming from the end of his ear. Checked and it didn't look too bad. Got him home, fed him, and when I just went out there today to change the straw and water I noticed quite a bit of blood on the floor next to his food bowl. I checked the cut again on his ear. It had stopped bleeding by that time of course. It didn't look like a bite mark but it was raw none the less. My question is.....what do you guys keep on hand to stop bleeding in cuts like this and to help it heal faster?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Cut maintenance
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:34 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cooking flour to stop the bleeding...............ears can bleed something awful, even from the smallest spot. Makes you wonder how such a small hole and produce all that blood...........Guess it's like forehead wounds on humans........bleeders.

EMT Gel is also good first aid to have in a field bag.

http://www.emtgel.com/whatitis/index.php

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Cooking flour. Is that just applied directly to the wound? He shakes his head constantly. I thought that might be caused by ear mites but according to the vet thats not the case.....so I'm guessin it must just feel good to him to shake. That of course makes it alot harder to get the bleeding to stop. Anything tho that would slow it down in the field til it can be better fixed up at home tho....that would be ideal.

That EMT gel looks pretty good too. Is that what you put on the wound once its cleaned up at home?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:19 pm 
IP:
Corn starch works better then flour, from my experience. yes apply it directly to the wound.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:05 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I started a carving class here in Arkansas and the first thing they taught me you are going get cut so here is how to stop the blood. next time you are in McDonalds get you a few packs of pepper, tear it open and put on the cut, i said that will burn they said not a bit, and it worked. and did not burn,now at home i run for the pepper on a farm growing up I went for the kerosene,but the kerosene back 50 years ago is no the kerosene now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Wish I'd've read this before we spent $200 on the emergency vet and subjected our princess to the horrible cone collar. They tried to cauterize it, couldn't, stitched it and wrapped her ear to her head with this godawful bandage. Told us to keep it on for three to five days, and when we got it off, her ear was all enflamed and smelly. What a nightmare! Same injury, bottom of ear, could barely see the scratch when it wasn't gushing from her shaking her head all the time. One day, we were out on the deck and it hadn't been bleeding for awhile, then she shook it good and there was blood spatter on the siding halfway up the house. Looked like someone got murdered out there!

Wildwood Blues' Fly Christina
Wildwood Blue Menominee Chief

Huntin' the Heck outta Holly Rec!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 pm 
IP:
Banixx is the best for wound maint. It has no odor does not burn and works way better than anything else I`ve ever used. It is made for hoof and wound care on horses,our local Purina feed store carries it in a liquid spray and also a gel form. $15 to $20 bucks a bottle, www.banixx.com

Post subject: Ear Ripped
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I was putting my male into the pin with my female the other day and his big floppy ear got caught on a piece of fence. instead of stopping he whimpered a little and ran on in it took me a second to figure out where all the blood was coming from. he ripped probably an inch by half inch out of his ear and it bleed forever. now it bleeds every once in a while but does look better. what is the best thing i can do to help this heal safely without infection?

Post subject: Cut maintenance
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have had both horses and dogs, all of which are subject to murphy's law. Everyone of them have had some type of wound. I have found that wound dust (you can buy it at the feed store, made for stopping bleeding wounds on horses) and vetrycin is my best friend. If it is an ear instead of a cone or such I use a tube sock. Cut the end off of it and slide over the dogs head. It will keep the ear still to let it heal and the bleeding will stay at a minimum. My old dog the other day put one of the younger females in her place, the gyp got a hole in her ear. I just put some wound dust on it and slid the cut sock on to hold the ear. After that I soaked the ear and sock in vetricyn and about three days later it was healed enough that she could have the sock off. By day 5 it only had a small scab and you could hardly tell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

for stopping bleeding i use a styptic pencil like what you would use when you cut urself shaving... my grandpa used to use it when we got cut as kids.. they are 94cents at walmart. for healing wounds and growing the hair back i use some nu-stock. it comes in a tube you can get it at a feed store. its marketed for horses but it says it can be used on all animals.. really good stuff. just apply every 3 days..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:04 pm 
IP:
My vet has always had me make a very dilute betadyne solution and soak their wound in it for a few minutes 2-3 times a day.

Wild Haven is right about vetrycin... it's expensive but works great. We sell it at my work and have had nothing but positive experiences with it.