CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:30 am 
IP:
It's been a long time since I viewed Jesus as the lamb-carrying sweet man that I was taught about in Sunday school as a kid. In reading the scriptures I've seen that he was an unpredicatable, tough man that few people felt like running up to and hugging. He surely loves mankind and wants the best for us, but he wasn't the fluffy gentle man that many of us have been taught about.

I've also read parts of the Bible that have shocked me and have been things that I've really had to ponder over (and still do) because they don't fit in with the God I know and I haven't heard them discussed in detail all that often.

When the Israelites arrived at the Promised Land God told them to kill their neighbors, sometimes even to kill every man, woman and child. My God has instructed them to kill infants who have not yet sinned? It doesn't mesh with my notions of a loving God.

Correct me if my memory is wrong, but didn't God kill Moses and his successor and not let them reach the Promised Land because they had fallen into sin? They were such holy men! I look at my own unholy life and am amazed that God killed his prophets and not me.

In studying the Bible it seems there are so many inconsistencies or things that don't make sense, yet if the Bible is the inspired word of God they are things that I think should really be looked at. I've personally hit a bump in it all, study or not I just haven't been able to wrap my mind around it all.

What do you guys think about those really hard to understand passages? Why would God want the infants killed? Why would he kill his prophets whose sins don't even compare to their followers sins?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:31 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I have read my Bible as far as Judges so far this year. I am a slow reader.... It covers a lot of what you are talking about. The New Testament is the Old Testament revealed. God cannot look upon our sin and that is why the cross/resserection was so necessary.
Mosses did sin and was not allowed to enter the promised land. Joshua, his successor did enter the promised land and because of his loyalty to the Lord defeated the caininites (evil decendants of Cain) who were enemies of Gods'. Joshua died at 110 years old and lived a life loyal to and pleasing to the Lord.
I don't Have time to add more but join a good Bible study and keep studying. The answers are all there. I will try to answer more of your questions later.

Mel

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

MTcoon,

I know what you mean.. when you hear that God is good and loving (and He is!!) and we read about all the infants, women killed, it seems rather gruesome. But the people that God ordered the Israelites to kill were not His chosen people.

Now, let me draw an illustration.

A saved, born again, follower of Christ is now adopted into God's family, and thus are adopted into His chosen family. God as our Father, tells them to get rid of (kill) the sin in our life. As the non-chosen people were killed, it was so they could not influence the Israelites (which they often did because some leaders compromised God's instructions). Sin, if left in our lives can influence us even little sins (infants) can grow into a mighty force to reckon with.

It kind of gives a perspective of what God thinks of sin. As for the prophets, yes, the were chosen by God, but they were also men with the ability to sin. ALL sin has consequence. If you think about it, Adam and Eve's sin that got them evicted from the garden and introduced the curse of death to all mankind can be summed up like this: they did not obey God's instruction, that's it... how bad was that? Obviously it was bad! Or to take it a step further, what was Lucifer's sin? he had high asperations... he said " I will be like the Most High God"(Is. 14:14)

Kinda gives a new perspective on sin, at least it does to me.

By grace,
JR