CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Anybody got a clue?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:41 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Anybody got a clue who reads this stuff???

I feel led to say, this is within a coonhound hunting forum and we need to be careful about what we write. Poeple don't need any other reason not to believe in Jesus. Be careful about debates-people don't need to be turned off to "organized religion" any more than they already are. There is too much confusion as it is!

Just to think about:

God is good but man has ruined the testimony of Christ in so many ways!

The Bible is true and doesn't have 400,000,000 meanings per verse, but God only has one interpretation for everything He wrote!

People need to trust Jesus, search the Scriptures, Pray, and live Holy Lives!

For anyone who reads this stuff that is turned off by Christianity, remember if you keep your eyes on men they will always let you down, but Jesus hasn't and never will!

Read below for a further explanation of my point...

Last edited by Hispanicpbh on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:40 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Finally someone else gets it. Its not organized religion that is destroying itself, its the people that "know" they have the right answers.

Post subject: I read this everyday
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:14 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I got a clue. I'm fine with faith being simple but Jesus was very willing to get into complex conversations with people about life topics. With folks who were proud and thought they were perfect he got under their skin. With folks who knew they were sinful and broken he healed and forgave, then told them not to keep sinning. Not everyone was happy or agreed with him. He told all his followers that they should expect that following him would cause problems and suffering in their lives.

Best thing to happen in this section is Steve posting a daily verse to read but I have learned from all the threads. I figure its coon hunters, we tend to be willing to speak our minds and anyone who is not ready for that maybe needs to go to don'thurtmyfeelings.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:58 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I agree that there is only one correct interpretation for every part of the Bible. But I know I don't have all the right interpretations and I am very fearful of those who act like they do.

I do however enjoy discussing different views.... that is how we can find the truth.... that's how iron sharpens iron.... As long as people can talk about different views and not let it get personal it's not only o.k., it's a good thing. This is a discussion forum.... If we can't discuss the Scripture without fear of offending someone, then I'm sorry.

We talk about what breed of dog is better, what line of dog is better, what gun is better, what food is better etc.... on the other sections of this board and we don't worry that someone will read it and get turned off of coon hunting.

I agree though, that if folks let things get personal and resort to name calling and assume they have the market on the truth then it gets ugly and doesn't represent Christ well at all. But for the most part the folks that visit this section of the board have been very respectful. I think maybe one of the most recent discussions that was clearly different in views was that of pastors being divorced. There are some on here that hold very different views then I do... but they never belittled me, questioned my salvation over it, called me names or anything like that. I looked at their arguments, looked into Scripture over it and had a good discussion.

And really, if you're concerned with anything on this section turning people off.... why title your post..."Anyone got a Clue?".... insinuating that if we discuss things on here or have different views we don't have a clue... funny way to attract people to the faith if you ask me? To be honest I think more people are turned off by the attitude that there's only one interpretation and if it's not like mine then you're wrong.

with blessings and in Grace....

dk
dk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:33 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

The subject line was misunderstood... :cry: (i changed it above to clarify)

The subject line and the first sentence go together as follows:

"Does anyone have a clue who reads this stuff?"

I see that you guys took one sentence out of the entire post and responded based on that one sentence. First, let me say the one sentence you zoomed in on is a fact that does not mean any one person has everything figured out including myself. The bottom line is we need to do our best to use scripture to interpret scripture so that we can find that specific truth that God intended.

Disclaimer: I write with lots of exclamation marks (!) so don't misunderstand my passion for yelling or know it all.

Now, my point was NOT that there shouldn't be discussion, but that everyone should consider the number of unbelievers who read this stuff when making a post. This IS my field and life (more so than coonhunting) and I know for a fact that people are turned off to attending churches because of all the arguing and confusion over the Bible (which over all is not a confusing book). The fact that this forum is within a forum (that does not pertain to Christianity) means it gets visitors who wouldn't necesarily look for a Christian forum to read. Considering that last sentence, what an opportunity to witness!

Last edited by Hispanicpbh on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My point about "organized religion" was simply that unbelievers have very little interest in it now-let's be careful not to make it worse than it already is!

All of "Christianity" and other religious groups are lumped into the same category although they shouldn't be. All churches are viewed as "organized religious groups". While I am not advocating that all organized religion is good, being a part of a NT church is very important because Jesus himself started the first church and said He would be with his church until the end of the age! Because of all the different religious groups people are turned off by churches that DO teach what Jesus taught because they don't really know which church represents the truth. One problem is that some churches that do represent the truth have bad attitudes as someone above already insinuated. The following are some reasons why the confusion exist.

1. Many take one verse from a book and chapter and build their entire theology on that one verse without ever using any other verse that deals with that same subject.

2. Some take one issue to the extreme one way or the other without clear scripture to do so.

3. Some simply "repeat teach". They repeat what someone else said (today or in past History) and really don't know why they said it or where it is found in the Bible.

4. Some deny the absolute authority of Scripture. They claim that men on the earth today have the right to determine whether or not something that was written in the Bible has or has not changed over time.

5. The wrong spirit or attitude.

I don't know about you fellas, but I would rather believe a book authored by God which has existed for over 3000 years than listen to a man that is at the most 120 years of age! Trust Jesus and trust His Word!

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:36 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

No problems here Hispanicphb. I'm glad to have you here and look forward to you joining in on some discussions. I agree with your 5 points on why teachings get off track.

I would only disagree with the statement that said this forum has nothing to do with Christianity. I think it certainly does. I think cooking, coonhunting, education, sex, work, school, fishing etc.... all have everything to do with Christianity and vice versa.... but I think I know what you meant :wink:

And as far as this being your field..... you'll find it's the field of many of us.

But anyway, you bring up some good points and I appreciate that. You're right in that we always need to be acting in a way that attracts folks to the goodness of Father- wether in real life or in a forum.

dk