CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Is Fear the reason????
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How many of you believe that alot of people are simply scared of God and therefore simply would rather live their life lost than to accept and repent. I know before I was saved and a Christian I was somewhat scared of God because I didn't really know and understand how much he loved us. Do any of you feel that alot of the lost are truly scared of God?

If it was a sin 2000 years ago it is a sin today!!!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:28 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I am not sure I would use fear.... I think for many God is a casual aquaintance at best whom they concider to have little or know impact on their daily lives. I am afraid that while something like 80% of the population claim to be Christian in this country, the actual number probably leaves Christians a minority in this country. If people truly feared the Lord, it would cause them to choose for or against him rather than this luke warm unstudied manner that many are following.

Mel

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

good point waterway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I guess the better term would be "don't understand" than fear. Which alot of things that people don't understand is like you said a lack of research. I was raised in a church that had a hell and brimstone preacher and let me say that any child would be scared when they left every Sunday. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:45 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

You were indeed fortunate to have such a church back ground. Today what percent of kids would you guess are attending any kind of a church regulairly?

Mel

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well our church has a strong youth and childrens church program and seems to be growing. This past Sunday started our VBS and I believe we had 150 plus and my wife said her class had 25 preschool children last night. But I know there isn't as many children across this country going to church as there should be, it is obvious all you have to due is turn on the nightly news. I am fortunate that I had something in my upbringing to fall back on. I know it must be hard for someone who has no idea how wonderful church can be. But I know there is at least two children going to church. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:37 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Patrich it sounds like you have a fine family and a God fearing church. I count one paticular blessing in that I have been a witness to the baptism of all three of our children... what more can a parent ask for?

Mel

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:57 pm 
IP:
i dont think that it is fear, but i do think that the reason why some people dont is that they are searching for something that will fill them up, but just leaves them empty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well let me tell you how fear can turn you around, I read that there was an atheist paddling a small boat across Loch Ness when all of a sudden he saw something out of the corner of his eye. Just that second his boat was flipped up into the air and he looked down and say the Loch Ness monster below with its mouth wide open. He said "God help me." all at once everything stopped and God responded " I didn't think you believed in me?" and the athist responded "Give me a break, 30 seconds ago I didn't believe in the Loch Ness monster either!" Just alittle humor, but I do believe that some people are afraid in some ways, might be of God, might be of how there family would respond, might be afraid of how the church will make them feel. Be mindful when you are at church that everyone there wasn't raised in church and it is our responsibility as the church to make them feel like they belong and are loved as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I know this post was about fear being a reason to not come to Christ, but I recently had a conversation with someone who said that fear of hell shouldn't be the reason for salvation. What are your thoughts on this? I believe that fear of hell is the reason a person would want to get saved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well I think that fear of going to hell should be a very big part of getting saved. I mean lets face it if there was no fear of going to hell what's the point. Of course I'm speaking from the perspective of a non-believer. It's not until we are saved that we truely start to understand God's love for us. Which inturn becomes our focus, as we mature in Christ, remember new believers are generally still self-centered, which with age, study and fellowship we mature to become more Christ-centered.

But back to the topic I must say that most people are not turned away from God due to fear. Satan doesn't need fear to do that, we "christians" do a good enough job of that for him. I love the DC Talk song "What if I Stumble?" Its starts out say the greatest cause of Atheism today, is christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, but walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. Tht is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable. And I must admit that I have fallen victim to this myself. I also don't like this "say a simple prayer, and your saved" movement. The Christlike walk is hard and painful. Alot of preachers seem to leave that part out just to get the numbers down to the altar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for your reply.

I agree... What are we being saved from if not Hell?