CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: Speaking in tongues
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:22 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Does anyone in here believe that speaking in tongues is for the church today? I know what i know but was just woundering what everyone elses thoughts on the subject was.

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1Timothy 3:16.

(706)889-5083

Wrights Midnight Blue Kennels

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I do not negate the existance or ability of tongues (it's in the Book) however, I do question it's legitement use in today's churches. Every time I have heard it spoken, it is the same thing, even from different crowds, including it's interpretation (sp?).

God bless,
JR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:19 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i speak in tounges in my sleep :shock:
nah, just kidding :lol:
what exactly is speaking in tounges, i remeber seeing something on tv quite a few years ago wear someone was speaking in tounges, but i was too young to know what was going on , that and i wasn't paying much attention, is were they make that jibber jabber noise or something, i know its a weird sound, im sorry if this is a stupid question, i havn't been to church in a long while, so im clueless :roll:

CH'PR'MISSISSIPPI QUEEN TREEIN MEME
CH'PR'SWAMPMUSIC BLOOD SLINGING HOSS
'PR'RAPPAHANOCK JIGSAW BLADE
'PR'BREAKING DAWN JASPER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:59 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Well to start with the word tongues in the Bible obviously means language. Not babbling talk that you almost always here spoke the same way in every church that does it by different people, in different parts of the country.

And for those who will say that it is a sign to the non- believers. If you read long enough you will find the verse that says wicked and perverse nations seek after a sign.

Just like the verse that gives the qualifications for a bishop (preacher) (pastor). One of the first qualifications given is “he must be blameless” THE HUSBAND” of one wife. You can't drive women into that verse with a 100 lb hammer or a big truck. Now that doesn’t stop women. Ever Sunday you will find one getting up (here lets get another one in there) "usurp authority over a man" go right into the pulpit and disobey God's word. Now if they are disobeying God's word how can HE bless what they are doing?
All I can say is it is man’s doings if it appears to be blessed! Yes I just said that!

I do not believe that a woman is lower that a man I just believe the bible from cover to cover. If a man loves his wife the way the bible instructs him to, then they will always be equal to one another.

The bible says all scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. However most people forget 2nd Timothy 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God a workman that needth not be ashamed RIGHTLY DIVDING THE WORD OF TRUTH. Now verse 16 “but shun PROFANE and VAIN BABBLINGS: for they will increase unto more UNGODLINESS.”

Another words please read past Acts 2:3 and see that in acts 2:6 every man heard them speak in his own LANGUAGE.

Now that I have probably offended many readers (psalms 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them) I will get off my soap box.

p.s. For the word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of the soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow,and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart!

....just think about that very last part when someone brags of having the gift of tongues. Maybe they are just trying to appear better than they really are. Just a sinner like all the rest of us!

If you really want to know the answers to all your biblical questions I can only say " Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct your paths". Proverbs 3:5 and 6

PR VESTAL'S NITRO JACK (Gone But Not Forgotten)
MY SON MY PRIDE AND JOY!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:27 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Yes speaking in other tongues is for the church today. It is not for public show. It is for edification and a sign to others that something is of God. Unless there is someone to translate what you've said you should not be speaking out in church because it will just be an interruption of the service and will not help or instruct anyone, only confuse people. On the other hand there have been services where someone visiting from another country would know the actual language being spoken in tongues and be able to translate. The person doing the speaking does not know what they say so the fact that it is an understandable language to another person is miraculous. In Acts 2:3 the people speaking in the language of the people from other countries were average people who did not know the languages of other countries so it was a sign to the visitors that they were people of God speaking at the direction of the Holy Spirit. Signs are given both to the righteous and the unrighteous. The ones who are seeking signs rather than seeking God are the "wicked and perverse nations". The true believers may or may not see a sign but they don't base what they say and do on signs but rather on God's word. I Corinthians 14:2 says "anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him: he utters mysteries with his spirit." and verse 4 says "He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself but he who prophesies edifies the church. I would like every one of you to speak in tongues but I would rather have you prophesy". Paul said "I thank my God I speak with tongues more than all of you" in verse 18. Tongues is good for the believer but not for the group unless there is someone to translate what was said.

Post subject: Tongues!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:21 pm 
IP:
Praise the Lord on that note!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:21 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Just a stumbling block to the lost!!!!!!!!

I believe God is alive and on his throne. I do not need anyone to jump up in the middle of worship service and say Hatta Shanta Nana Nana Bontta Hunt a Volkswagen Cut a Watermelon to make me believe He is real.

ENOUGH SAID!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:42 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Read your bible dear. It doesn't say someone should jump up in the service and start babbling anymore than it says someone should pray loudly in public. It speaks against both being used in loud displays but both tongues and prayer are still alive and well and valuable tools in the Christian walk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:45 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Arachyd I think you have presented a good biblical summary on speaking in tongues. I have never spoken in tongues or even interpreted but I do believe in what is told us in the Bible about it. Thankyou.

Mel

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:33 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i believe if God wants you to stand in church and speak in tongues, i believe there will be an interpriter, but what if no one interprets? does that mean that the person speaking is out of line, i dont believe so, look at it like this. a man is speaking in tongues, and someone in the congragation can interpret it, but what if he doesnt, what if the devil puts a fear on him, and he sets there and doesnt interpret it, does that mean that this man was out of order for speaking? This is to squarcompass. I really dont think your last coment was nessasary, just because your ignarant, and deny the power of God, doesnt mean you have to get on here and say how dumb it is. read your bible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:24 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Things are supposed to be done "decently and in order" according to the bible and it usually occurs when there is a lull. It happens a lot when everyone is praying all at the same time quietly. Someone will speak out. If nobody interprets no harm done. If someone just starts interrupting the service it is not how it should be. The Holy Spirit is polite not demanding. It isn't supposed to be a disruptive thing and in my experience it is more valuable for building up my own sensitivity to things of God than for anything else.

Post subject: Gifts of the Spirit
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:55 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I believe that in a church that freely exercises all the Spirit given gifts of service and ministry that some demonstration of tongues will likely be a part of that church in some way. Whether that is in the worship service or someone has that as a gift in their private prayer times. The church I go to has a motto about tongues, "Seek not, Forbid not" which means that the Holy Spirit gives each member those particular gifts that make for a balanced church. We don't believe that it is THE sign of being Spirit filled or Spirit baptized, no more than using any of the other gifts such as teaching, service, prophecy, hospitality, healing, wisdom, organizing/leading or singing praises. It seems like scripture shows that the sign of being Spirit filled is being open to letting the gifts of service and minstry flow freely and that those lead to bearing fruit....meaning folks coming to saving faith through the ministry of the church and the individuals who belong to that church. All followers of Jesus should be like a fruit tree that produces whatever fruit it was designed to bear. God is the one who judges us and has the role of pruning us or adding what we need to be more fruitful. Tongues is not the focus of following Jesus, being fruitful should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Willseeya,

I'm just curious, but where in the bible does it say, specifically, that the people who legitimately had this gift in the first century used this gift of languages (glossa) in their private prayer time.

David
Florence, SC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

1 Peter 4:10:

As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

We see here that a spiritual gift is used for serving others not to benefit the gifted individual or God.

1 Corinthians 14:2:
For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.

Paul was criticizing these people for using their gift to speak to God and not to the men of the church. This is not an allusion to a mysterious vain prayer language of babblings of which all other religions mimic. He is illustrating the futility of speaking unknown languages without an interpreter because only God would understand and that would be pointless for the church. 14:3 is good for the church.

1 Corinthians 14:4:
One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.

Here Paul is condemning people who were using their gift in violation of its purpose and in disregard to the principle of "Love" (ch. 13).

Edifies here means "to build up" which could be either a good or bad thing. In light of I Corin. 14:16-17, These people were disregarding the welfare of the church and selfishly building themselves up by desiring to show off their ability to speak in other known languages regardless "if the other man is not edified".

When kept in the correct context, it is crystal clear that the vain babblings of today are just ecstatic emotionalism and not the true gift of known languages that were being abused by the church at Corinth. Tongues also ceased at the end of the apostolic age. Historians agree all across the board that the gift of tongues has been absent from the church since apostolic times but has only as of late supposedly been revived in the recent charismatic movements.

Paul is quite clear this gift will cease....

1 Corinthians 13:8-10:

8Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will CEASE; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.
9For we know in part and we prophesy in part;
10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

That which is perfect knowledge came when the Holy Bible was completed.

Since Paul is clear that tongues will cease and church historians agree that they did. I guess you need to show me where the gift of languages will start back up. And don't go for the Latter Rain bit.

I guess since all of the gifts present in the apostolic age are still around today and you belong to a church that still recognizes them. Why don't you send someone to Florence who can raise up the dead?

David
Florence, SC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:06 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

It is simple to make grand, sweeping statements about things "across the board" being so but the fact is people are still being healed, still speaking in tongues, still prophesying, still seeing visions and being filled and led by the Holy Spirit. "Perfect" is NOT come yet....just look around you at the world today. Historians do not agree that the gifts of the Spirit have ceased. The worldly ones may have agreed but not all historians. Why would God take away something so needed? The world is going to get more and more evil and we need all the armor we can put on. Paul was not condemning people for speaking in tongues and building themselves up. He was simply stating that more benefit was received if there was a translation when tongues was used in church as opposed to just blurting things out. He said he thanked God that he spoke with tongues MORE than the rest of them. Prayer in the Spirit is a Godly tool to build yourself up and to pray when you don't quite have the right words, not a worldly tool to puff yourself up. Everything God has in His word the devil has a twisted counterpart - tithing, healing, sacrifice, etc. Just because you have seen the devil's way of doing things doesn't mean God's way is wrong. Don't be too quick to throw out the gifts of the Spirit. One of them may save your life someday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next