It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hello everyone,

I am recently getting into coon hunting and really need some insight. Can any brother's out there help?

JR

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:26 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

You have certainly come to one of the best sites on the net for houndsman. There is a lot of information stored on the training tips forum that should be useful to you.

Mel

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Prchrmn wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am recently getting into coon hunting and really need some insight. Can any brother's out there help?

JR

Sure. First thing you need to do is get a dog. Then go to the bank and get a loan for all the money your going to be spending for lights, collars, dog food, boots, bibs, vet bills, dog boxes, leashes, so on and so on and then after you get all that stuff you'll decide you will need another dog and better lights, collars, dog food, boots, bibs, vet bills, dog boxes, leashes and so on! :lol:

Hope that helps. Now go have some hound dog fun!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Amen!! unfortunately, my meagher earnings can't support all that... I am looking into the different breeds though and do hope to have a pup soon.

God Bless!

Post subject: hey Preacher Man
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:17 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Yeah, I was reading on here for quite a while before I bought a hound. Scrounge through the old posts, there's lots of good info, probably better than a magazine subscription in many ways. Get connected with hunters in your area and find out who hunts what and then figure out what breed suits you, both your eye and what you want to do with it. If you are thinking you will compete then you will want to spend a bit more and buy a hound that is already treeing coons on its own. If you just want to get out and hunt when time allows then maybe get a healthy pup from good hunting lines and train it yourself. Since you are a pastor then your time can be limited but having a dog is lots healthier for your free time than sitting inside at the computer and it can be a way to connect with folks in your town who like to hunt. There's other things to work through with these types of dogs like whether to keep it in the house or out in a kennel, male or female, neutered/spayed or not, how many neighbors live close by (can you say WOOOF!!!!?) and other factors. Hopefully God will bless you and your household with a good one. This is not the biggest thing to wish for but God cares about the little boy that is still left in us that still likes having a dog around. Otherwise He would not have made dogs to be the way they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes, time is a commodity that I have to watch closely! I am more than likely will be relocating to a different part of the state soon in view of a call to another church. Good thing is, the part I'll be moving to is more rural. I have been reading lots of material on this site, and I believe you may be correct in stating it is probably more insightful/helpful than a lot of publications. But on the by and by, could any of you recommend a good publication for coon hunting/coon dogs?

By grace,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:44 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

coonhound bloodlines and full cry magazine.