CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Methodist and Baptist
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

dont worry I'm not tryin to start anything...I go to a Baptist church but I am going to go to a Methodist College and i was wondering what the diff. is between the two.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Baptists babtize by full submersion while methodists baptize by laying on the hands. Other than that they are fairly similar. I've been to both Methodist and baptist churches, I'm sure you'll do fine. What will you be studying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm not studying to be a preacher or anything. Im hopefully gonna be a history teacher or weightlifting coach and be a football coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

There are quite a few differences, but a lot of that has to do with your personal beliefs and the beliefs of your home church. Not every Baptist or Methodist believes the same thing. In general though, Baptists are more conservative on ethical and theological issues. Methodists, are typically more "Catholic", if I can say that, than other protestant denominations. Meaning, they are typically more ritualistic (no not the bad kind). They also baptize by sprinkling, immersion, and pouring. IMHO, none are historically wrong. We have a lot of texts that indicate all happened in the early church. I can give you a paper on that if you want. To my knowledge they do believe once saved always saved, that baptism is not a requirement for salvation, and free will. I was looking at going to Duke Divinity School (Methodist school) for my graduate degree when I finished college, and it is defiantly more liberal than your typical southern Baptist church theology, and that is not all bad. I think Baptists can be too conservative at times. I don’t' want to go into specifics as that could cause a flame war. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me and I will answer them to the best of my ability. If you want any books to read let me know. I am a big fan of self education. :) Let me know if there is anything I can do for you!

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:09 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

thnaks a lot, i appreciate the replys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:49 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

In general, one of the biggest differences foundationaly is their view on Scripture. Generally Baptists believe the Bible to be the perfect word of God. Methodists in general hold to the view that Scripture is a revelation from God, and because it came through humans contains errors.... they believe it holds enough truth to save and edify us, but can have errors. Again, these are very general statements and not meant to be a blanket statement towards any one specific person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The biggest difference is that a Baptist will speak to you at the liquior store and a Methodist won't. Just kidding :wink: God bless and nice post.

If it was a sin 2000 years ago it is a sin today!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:47 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i'm the same as you i really never saw the difference in any of the churches only the names. in my opinion all churches are there for the same reason so it shouldn't matter what it is.

Post subject: Methodist and Baptist
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:57 am 
IP:
Big Jake,
Like someone said the Babtize part is different. Other than that are the same. I'm a Methodist. It will not matter what school you go too. God has a plan for your life. Some people talk about the differents of the two we are not here for that but to teach the word of God to the world that we all live in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The biggest doctrinal issue between the two is Methodist do not believe in eternal security and the Baptist do. As far as actual baptism, the Methodist do a baptism for babies ( dedication) by sprinkling but will baptise any way you would like as an adult.
As was mentioned, the methodist hold a view that the word of God is not pure and has not been preserved for us which is totally against what the word of God says: Psalm 12: 6,7 and it's one of the reason I left the Methodist church because, if I can't know for sure I have the word of God in my hands what can I be sure of?
Duke divinity school is a disgrace in my opinion and have turned away from the great Christian school it once was.

ACTS 16:31

Post subject: it all depends
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:51 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

There's branches of Baptists and Methodists that range from very conservative holding to a high view of Scripture to very liberal, rejecting belief in many points of the core of the Christian faith and pushing a "love everyone, save the earth" sort of message. For the Methodists it depends a lot on who is the bishop for that region. Baptists are so independent I don't know how you figure them except to go talk to the pastor and ask him about what he believes on the things that matter most to you about faith. I can gather up with any church as long as they believe that God's word the Bible is inspired, that mankind is sinful and needs redemption by way of Jesus' death and resurrection and that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit co-exist as three in one. Some of the other points of doctrine are where you start to define denominations and movements but there is a core of beliefs that describe a Christ follower. I believe some things on baptism, tongues, Holy Spirit filling and sanctification, the second coming and other issues but there is a core that true Jesus followers all agree on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:17 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i decided one night that i was going to be a Christian. i rode around the neighborhood looking for a methodist church close by. i didn't see one that looked inviting but did find a small baptist that did. the next day i went and i've been going regularly for the past 7 months. God must have lead me there. i love that church. it seems everyone takes their religion serioiusly. they are friendly, supportive and i like it there. I was a methodist but i never paid any mind when i was in church but they seem pretty simalar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:48 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Methodist churches are far more loberal with Bilical doctrines and teachings. Some to the point that they are nothing more than a cult. Not that having the word "baptist" on the sign guarantees it to eb a Biblical, new testament church either. But for the most part every baptist church I have been to ,except for Free Will and "convention" churches, were pretty strauight on doctrinal and dispensational trachings within the Bible. I cant say that for Methodist churches. Good folks...I hunt with many methodist folks and consider them good friends. But they have some strange ideas that worry me immensely.

Profile  WWW