CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: treed!
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:19 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

We took the Wolf Pack out over the weekend and put this nice bear in the tree. I just love it when the hounds put animals in those huge Ponderosa trees, with the open branches and all.

The dogs blew air on this bear track around 8:30 AM and had it in the tree before you know it. We got to hear most of the race, as it went out over the to of a ridge then back down in the canyon below us. What fun!

Yall keep'em treed!
ike

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:58 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

..BUT.... I still think THAT THING and all it's cousins aunts and uncles is the SCARIEST thing I would EVER run across! If I ran into a bear.... I'd just have a heart attack and die. End of story. Shudder! I have to say, if I were with a pack of hounds and with someone with a gun (I can't shoot':oops:')
.. I MAY survive the moment... :) Keep those pix coming!, Happy Hunting, Heather William

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:06 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Heather,

Those bears don't seem to be very mean when they have a good pack of dogs on them. However, I suppose the data will show that plenty of people have been mauled or killed by black bears. My wife and kids pushed me five years ago to get a concealed weapons permit because of the concerns you have. Funny thing, they seem to think I'm worth more than a bear although UDWR probably doesn't. We had this conversation over on another board awhile back and one guy explained, "he'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!" I suppose I agree with that ideology. Anyway, I hope I never have to shoot something off me but will do whatever it takes to come out on top. :lol:

Keep'em treed!
ike

Post subject: UGHHH!
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:02 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

One of my older sisters was quite the hiker in her youth... she carries concealed because of humans more than wildlife but.... She did alot of stuff alone and was quite good at her travels, was a photographer. Did that hike thru the Grand Canyon, you're not supposed to do alone... got special permission etc.... had just taken some fantastic pix and was crossing some water .... started to drop camera....fell and Broke her ankle! Last solitary hike she did! Had to get radio help etc... this was WAY before cell phones.
I always thought she was nuts. I HAVE NEVER been camping! I am such a baby! My husband and kids go all the time.... I'm totally fraid of bears. YET, I go out meandering thru our little wetlqands with my sons Moronic pet AKC B and T.... figuring if we ever came across something scary.... he and I will both faint and get mauled! ;)
That bear was actully nice looking. I WOULD feel fine with a pack of houndsthat were trained and an experienced person with a gun.... I think?
PS.... my sister says the same thing about the gun and a human bad guy.... she wouldn't hesitate to protect herslef or her family. Then again, my husband would be the same way.... since I can't shoot.... I'd just have to yeall and scream and drive someone nuts till they keeled over! Or depend on my hounds to EAT them.... since the pup, the AKC B and T is Our smallest, and still growing at 77 lbs.... I feel decently safe in my home with them... a loyal pack of hounds is worth their weight in gold. Sorry I am babbling, took my Morning Ritalin tonight at seven (OOPS!) with chocolate cake I added coffee to.... I'll be up all night AND i feel nauseous.... AND my 19 year old son is playing a video game and Talking to me about it! AHHHHHHHHH!
Enjoy those hounds! Heather

Profile  WWW