CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Anyone run bobcat?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I want to train my redbone on bobcat and wonder what's the best way to introduce him to the scent and start getting him to run it? I live in west michigan so trapping one in my live trap is out of the question. I would need to travel at least a couple hours to do so. I don't know about you guys but I do not ever get anything in my trap right after I set it.
So I heard of a scent, grawes. Do I use a scent or a different route?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Anyone run bobcat?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im from Ohio and aint never even seen a bobcat but I can tell you that if your using a good attractant, food for example, and ya aint catchin anything its prolly because your setting up where the quarry numbers are low or nearly nothing for one reason or another. Sometimes predators will keep the numbers low or practically at nothing in certain areas where they thrive and sometimes the area just isn't ideal because of food sources or lack of good cover to live in. I would try moving your set-up closer to water and a good food source. If that doesn't seem to help right away, I would try moving to an area that you know has numbers for sure. Another thing you might be missing is taking the time to draw in your quarry with alot of smelly food that they know is there and will return to eat multiple times. THEN use that in your live trap after they get a good meal and know it will be there later. Unfortunately it sounds like maybe the numbers just aren't where you are trapping. Don't give up and good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think my point got a little lost here. LoL
I want to know if using a bobcat scent from Grawe's is a good idea? I will be running my hounds for cat this year but need a idea on how to get them on the scent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Stupid question but if there aren't bobcats around you, why train a dog to chase them? That's like me living in Alabama and owning a bear dog... Just curious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

At what point did I say there are no bobcat by me?
There aren't many in my direct location. I will travel a hour or two north to run them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:01 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Makes since I guess. We have them around here. I'd like to hunt them some but I don't know anyone with trained dogs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Oh I see. Can you catch a cat in a live trap? If so, I would try teasing your dog with a boxed cat and then release it. After a few short minutes, try releasing your dog on it. Several training sessions of this sort will prime your dog as to what you want. After all, your dog only does what he/she thinks will make you happy and giving him several cats to chase will open his mind to the idea. Training takes SO MUCH time and patience and if you are up to the work I think this concept will get you started. Stick with it my friend and don't let failure or another hunter discourage you. Training a dog to do exactly what you want is well worth the work if you can make him listen. Patience is a MUST!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:53 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes patience is the big key I have learned. I am still working them on coon but want to run cat also.
Thanks for the insight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey bud, bobcats are extremely tuff to run and it takes a very special dog with a lot of experience to consistently catch a bobcat on there own. I've had the most luck running pups on house cats till there about 6 months old. Then staring them on bobcat by that age. It seams at about 2 years old they start doing pretty good on bobcat. I've never had any luck with grawls or any other traning sent. Not to say they don't work, I've just never owned a dog that would work a man made bobcat sent trail. There are some things you can do to put the odds in your favor though. Hunt an area with a high population of bobcat. Run more then one dog, especially if the two dogs compliment each other. And a good layer of fresh snow will help put the odds in your favor. My Experience tells me that about one in thirty well breed cat dogs will make the cut. The rest will be culls.

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you sir
Yes it does help. Both my dogs hate cats, but that's not the nothing I will be running them in. Going to keep them on coon as well.
Thanks for your words of wisdom.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Oh man getting a dog that hates cats is a great place to start. I had trouble when I first started because all my dogs wanted to do was catch coons. Seemed like every time we went out they would drop a cold cat track for red hot coon track. So you're ahead of the game there. Maybe try using a comb and work some of that grawls into a house cats fur. That'll give you a mixture of live and dead cat scent. I think the reason my dogs would never work the traning scent was cause it comes from a dead cats scent glands but I never tried using it on a live house cat. The reason I say this is cause my most of the dogs I've had were all about the chase. You throw um a dead cat or coon they don't want nothing to do with. Every time they would catch bobcat on the ground they Would kill it and move on quickly to look for another chase. I've tried dragging a bobcat that hadn't even been dead an hour and making a trail drag and they wouldn't even work it. I'm lucky cause I live in a area where we can run bobs all year long and there's a lot of umm here. And its so much fun!!! So maybe try work umm on a caged house cat with grawls and trailing the same way. When I'm starting puppies I let umm raise hell with a house cat in a cage then collar umm up and turn the cat lose. But I let the pups see me turn it lose and watch it run off then I let umm try and trail. Maybe if you can find a fella that runs cats in your area to go with, that would be of great help. And if you ever wanna drive 12 hours you can head out with me. Haha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah my male hates cats maybe even more than coons lol
Which is funny cause he came out of a all coon dog but it hopefully works out to my advantage that they both hate em. I have started them on some cat scent to see if they would pick it up and run it and they will so now I gotta cage a old barn cat and give it some bobcat scent.
I might just take you up on that 12 hour drive offer one of these days.
Thanks for all your advice. Helps a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah man, you ever wanna chat it up about hounds I know a little bit. But I know some guys that have probably forgot more about hounds then I'll ever know. Haha anyhow, good luck this winter if your ever down around Kansas Colorado Nebraska border hit me up.