CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Coyote help wanted
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am having problems with coyotes casing and challenging my coon hounds. I have almost an endless amount of land to hunt on. My thinking is that if the coyotes associate the sound of hounds with danger they will leave my dogs alone. I maybe wrong. If anyone has coyote hounds near the northern pan handle of West Virginia and would like to try and kill some of them please get in touch with me. The way it has been lately I am afraid they will kill one of my hounds and being as they have no experience defending themselves. They are getting brave. The incidents have been getting more frequent. It generally starts with the hounds striking a track and then the coyotes start challenge barking and getting closer. The last time the coyotes came within 100 yards of people. We have trapped several in the past couple of winters but it seems to make no difference. I think my redtick came face to face with one because he quit a track and came back to me with his tail between his legs. Right after that happened a pack of coyotes were right bellow us raising all kinds of heck. Sounded like at least 5. Let me know if you would like to help.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Coyote help wanted
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:37 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How far from the PA border? Any major highways close, how much land you talking, some coyotes may go upwards of 30 miles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

At least a couple thousand acres mostly private property. I am only about 15 minutes away from the PA line. I-70 is about 40 minutes away to the north. The land owners are tired of the yotes. If you mention you want to hunt or trap them they welcome you. Most of the land is covered in well roads and you can get a truck around easily and if you can't get a truck there you can get a 4-wheeler to about anywhere. There are plenty of yotes getting a track going should be pretty easy. There is no season or limit on them in WV. I can get plenty of help side-by-sides with dog boxes and plenty of trucks with boxes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Send me a pm with some of the roads around your area maybe even your zip so I can look at the topo of your area

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:29 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Just an idea...Start shooting when you see or hear them, they will begin to associate your hounds with gun fire and begin to show you more respect.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a pack of coyote hounds that would love to come down and take care of your coyote problem. If you still need some help with it shoot me a text or give me a call 6105775655 I live about an hr north of philly so wouldn't be to bad of a ride.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm in Tyler county have same problem darn yotes came into the tree and chased dog off I'm going to put bells and flashing lights on my hounds I here that will keep the yotes away from the hounds neighbor was in the woods and a cyote was within 29 yards away and stood and looked at him and did not run just the other day

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This time of year is there breeding season so I like to hunt at least two dogs. I've seen them whoop a single dog once in 18 yrs but never challenge two dogs. Sure they'll bark and come in and check them out but never fight. The coyotes out east are way more aggressive so I've heard. Glad I don't have that problem. Coyotes are thick here in Iowa and it's pretty common for them to follow you. They like to chew on the carcus's that I leave behind. My father used to have running dogs back in the 70's and early 80's. They weren't bred to kill coyotes just wear them down. When they bayed a coyote, he and his hunting buddy's used to use a coon hound that ran trash for a kill dog. Most coon hounds go for the neck and make quick work out of a tired ol coyote.