CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hogs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:41 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I know this is a coon site! but I'm just wondered how many of us run pigs! I am on my way down to louisiana with a red dog id like to try on pig!
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Hogs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:25 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I hunt hog with my bear dog. in n.m. bay them up no catch dogs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i am new to the board and a hog hunter,i hunt with catahoulas.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im new to the site also , I am from Mississippi . I use plotts , one treeing walker and catahoulas . Cats arent satifying me to good . Would coon hunt but I work nites .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I hog hunted with Black Mouth Curs for about 7 years,had catahoulas for a few years before I got good yella dogs. Never found a line of catahoulas that produced any thing worth feeding except for bay pen dogs cause they just didn't have enough nose or hunt but...... to me are way tougher and grittier on average than black outh curs. Just sold my BMC dogs this last weekend and just got back into coon dogs 100% lot's of fun, but I'm a coon hunter @ heart. It's hard on ya when you raise a dog from a pup and when he's 3 a hog guts him or knocks an eye out, what's harder than that is coming home and telling that to your kids who loved that dog and knowing that dog loved them what happened. Cut vest and cut collars are a must even with loose baying dogs cause it's not if a dog gets nailed it's when. Your gonna hear folks say hounds won't work cause there open and yes silent is better but fast hounds are hard to beat, walker dogs running or treeing type crossed over Black mouth curs or Catahoulas make good dogs that balance out the best of both breeds usually.

Well those are all just my opinions learned on the job the hard way so take it as such
cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:32 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Osage,

I couldnt agree with u more on the catahoulas . Very gritty but seems like you have got to have a hound to get things rolling on the strike . The black mouths are nice , my buddy has them and they are open on track . He uses them on cattle mainly and I do like them a good bit . Im supposed to get a pair later on . I do like my plotts the best . I have a plott that is almost solid red , guess he is a throw back color from generations ago . I like these dogs a whole lot . Goin to get a older female friday that was used on bear but wasnt rough enuff so they put her on hogs and supposed to be good . we will see . I have thought about the kid part as well , Most of wat I hunt now my kids dont go around . My middle child hunts with me but doesnt really have an attachment to them . to her they are just a tool to hunt with . hope it stays that way cause you are right it is a question of when . Where bouts you are from and wat all you hunting with ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm from Oklahoma, I sold all three of my hog dogs within the last two weeks and run walker hounds on coons now. My Black mouth cur dogs were dead silent until looking at a hog. Some good info can be found on East Texas Hog Doggers forum. I have seen Treeing Walker/ Catahoula crosses that I think were probably as good than anything I've ever seen and there usually silent and will flat grub one out the only thing equal to that IMO is a silent Black mouth cur crossed over plott hounds either of those to crosses in your box equals hogs @ the bay. Just becareful on the yella dogs cause there are so much differences in the types that you can find from treeing style open track - to dead silent rough catchy types to cow dog stock that don't have as much winding ability to ect. ect. But Mine found hogs and bayed as many as I wanted but they could have been rougher and I would have been happy.

God Bless

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

hey guys i'm from bama and i hog hunt catahoulas and i have 1 bird dog.the catahoulas i have will wind from from vehicle,we road hunt them,they can be freecast in several hour old sign and produce hogs,they can be free-cast without sign and produce hogs if there are hogs there.there good and bad in all breeds;i have heard the same things that was printed in an earlier post about black mouth curs or that hounds aren't gritty enough but that would not be an accurate statement,only for the ones that i encountered.every blackmouth i have seen go, could eat my feed any day and i have never hog hunted with hounds.osage i couldn't agree more with you on your last post.not trying to start a spitting contest, just standing in for the good catahoulas.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:58 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

bama porkstopper,

Im not really bashing the catahoulas . I think maybe my problem with the ones I had was they may have been more cattle bred than on hogs . I still have one young female I kept and she will forevermore hold a hog in place . I havnt ever been successful on getting my cats to strike or wind , so thats why I went to using plotts . I think also that alot of the cat bloodlines have been diluted down because of people breeding for color . I would love to find me a bloodline that would produce good hog dogs . I have failed yet to ever see a breed that was as dedicated to his or her owner like the cats are . I do have a friend in north MS that is supposed to have some good cats on hogs . I have thought about tryn to get a few pups . What bloodlines do you have ?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

the best dog ive ever owend was a bird dog/ bull dog . She faverd the bird dog and had her finding her own hog at 7 months . My grandpaw always told me to get a pair of brothers and train them together. Never seperat them . They will keep conpeting with each other. Iv stoped hog hunting becaws tomany hog hunters is around my town. Iv started coon hunting and like it so far. I like the chaleng of training a coon dog. Lets just say I can train a hog dog beter though

Kathleen GA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

mississippi hogger, sorry it has taken so long for me to answer your question but i'm not on this forum a lot. to answer your question about what line of cats i hunt,i hunt cutter koons mason and faircloth.they do fine for me and we don't have hogs like our neighboring states but they are still producing hogs.if u r still looking for a pup ,i have 1 pup available out of bird dog and mason cat male,they r 1 wk.old today.have another litter hitting ground before christmas also/koons and cutter breeding.give me a call 256-267-5046

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've always used cats. I love ranch Santiago kennel in Texas. They produce some good cats. My buddy is a huge supporter of plotts and gave me one for Christmas so ill find out for myself which I like more. I think its more of a personal preference and where you hunt and what your hunting conditions consist of. The cats I've had have had a great nose and have been some of the fastest dogs I've seen. But sometimes they can be too gritty and get themselves in a whole lotta trouble. Just my two cents.