CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A month and a half ago I bought a female Huff bred walker dog. She is supposed to be a bear dog. The guy I bought her from is real sick and just wanted to find her a hunting home. She is a real nice dog. Got some brains in her head. She lives indoors most of the time. Listens real well when inside.

I took her down to bear camp once to run bear. She ran with the pack on both bears we cut loose on. I was able to catch her up after the run with little to no trouble.

My problem is at home. If I cut this dog loose in the yard she takes about 5 steps away from me, looks back at me and then just bolts to the woods. She will not let me anywhere near her unless she has been out running for at least 2 to 3 hours. Then she will come to me. I would like to be able to just let her out without always having to tie her up. Any suggestions on what to do to get her to pay attention? Is it possible to teach this dog at 4 years old to do what it should have been doing all along?????? I wouldn't have a problem with her running except the property around me is all private.

There is nothing I hate more then a dog that won't come when it's called. Had I a rifle with me the last two times chasing her threw the swamp, I'd have caught her :wink:

I have BMC's that I run on coon and squirrel and I can call them dogs in at anytime. But I have raised these pups since birth and trained them myself.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Home of Haken's Lucky Ace, Haken's Tree Chopper and Haken's Maggie Mae

Ladner BMC's in Alpena Michigan

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Try a shock collar or a training collar on a longer rope. I believe you can get her to mind just going to take some work. I wouldn't let her loose. You are going to need control so you can be able to enforce your command.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:38 am 
IP:
Shock collar will fix this problem.Get your self a 30ft rope .Tie it to her wrap the other end around the ecollar controler and give her a jerk with the rope at the same time give a light shock and say here.In a few weeks she come when called.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i would say dont let her stay inside put her out side all the time

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:09 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Had the same problem with my 3 y.o. Plott, tried the rope and it didn't work so I got a shock collar. When she bolted I shocked her, she hid but when I got to her she came to me. Cut her loose the other night, she came to me everytime I called. Makes letting her loose to run a lot more enjoyable now that I don't have to wait on her to decide when she's done.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

WALKER1MAN wrote:

And how do you figure this would help? She doesn't seem to know the english language now, throwing out doors to spend even less time with people is going to teach her to come to me?????

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

wvcoonrunner wrote:
Had the same problem with my 3 y.o. Plott, tried the rope and it didn't work so I got a shock collar. When she bolted I shocked her, she hid but when I got to her she came to me. Cut her loose the other night, she came to me everytime I called. Makes letting her loose to run a lot more enjoyable now that I don't have to wait on her to decide when she's done.

I have a shock collar but wasn't sure if that would make her bolt even more or make her come? I guess I"m just going to have to give it a shot and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

They will find a place they think is safe, for my Plott this was our hunting truck, lol. She came right out to me and has done well ever since. Now when I put the tracking collar on her she associates it with the shock collar and I have no problems. Hope it works for you too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Make sure to only use the juice nessesary to get her attention, Call her and when she doesn't come give her a little juice and call her again, if she comes all is good and if she doesn't try the next higher setting and when she comes pet her up. Until she comes every time put the collar on her before you turn her out to run and use it if need be, it shouldn't take many lessons and she'll come around. Mike

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

WALKER1MAN wrote:

give her to me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You need to get a long rope (75ft) put it on her and let her loose let her go out aways and call her and step on the rope then pull her to you and pet her up when she gets to you she wont have an option but to come a couple times of that should work

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

not tring to be smart but its a hunting dog not a house dog :lol: