CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Barking on trail
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey everyone!! I'm new to the site, live in Florida, and exclusively hunt hogs with my dogs.. I run mostly Catahoula's and have a 4yr old female Cat that is a totally finished dog, found, bayed, and then helped catch 100's of hogs..
BUT, my only thing about her is that she barks on trail after she has seen the hog.. Its as if once she first stops the hogs, bays it for a couple seconds and then it turns and runs (because she isnt that "gritty") then she starts to yip on trail thereafter. I know most of you are going to say "well then sell the dog if you don't like the way she is".. But she's a DAMN good dog and a good puppy trainer.
When she yips on trail it only makes the hog run farther and deeper into the nastiest swamp he knows, but it also makes her not stop the bigger hogs that will run, run, and then run some more since all she does is yip on trail letting them know she's coming rather than being right up on their a$$ and them having to turn and fight... I run Garmin Astro collars and she averages out around 500-1000yrds.. Does anyone have ANY idea as to how I could break her of yipping on trail? I've thought about shock collars that will reach a mile or so.. Any thoughts on these?? Thanks for reading and any input..

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Barking on trail
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If she has been doing this for a few seasons it will be almost impossible to break it out of her if you use an ecollar she will think you are shocking her for being excited and doing what she has always done and not just haveing a loose mouth. I would suggest simply living with her problem and be greatful for what you have.

Post subject: Re: Barking on trail
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ya I hear ya.. I actually ended up selling her and simply moved to dogs that mostly catch unless its a hog over 250.. I bred her before I sold her and bred her with a bobtail ridgeback that weighs about 110 lbs... Ridgeback Catahoula's look CRAZY and are gritty as hell!! :D