CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: night running yotes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have 2 coonhounds i would like to get on yotes. i have heard alot about running them at night and calling them to locate them. but is it safe to drop 2 dogs in 2 a big pack of yotes at night.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: night running yotes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

well that would be your call but it is harder to see your dogs unless you have extra flashing lights on collars and enough light to make sure your shooting the right animal. never heard of anyone that did it too dangerous. thats when coyotes are getting together and will take out your dogs. have seen people track their dogs and they end up in a coyote den and all they bring out with them is their collars, maybe a half dead dog. its just a whole lot easier to wake up and drop the dogs on a track right when the sun comes up yotes are tired dont want to run anymore and ther done runnin. it usually takes the dogs less than an hour to git it up and runnin. they dont have to run a track out so long b4 getting it up and running. plus the dog can see a lot better during the day

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Running yotes at night is the best thing you can do for a coyote hound young or old. Most times if you run in the morning during the summer coyotes dont like to run much in the daylight and it makes for a pretty boring race because they normally den up. Running at yotes at night can be dangerous depedning on the yotes, terrain, dogs etc. If you run into a mean yote you had better hope that your dog has enough grit to make them run otherwise you may end up with torn up hounds or no race. Most people don't kill during the summer because coyotes are nursing and raising young yotes.
Easiest way is to get a siren or locator and locate the yotes then send the hounds to that location.

Have you ever ran these coonhounds on coyotes before and just wondering what kind of hounds they are?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a walker bear dog she is 7 and been on alot of coon and bear. she use to break on yotes when we hit a very fresh track always thought she would get ripped up but she didnt but that was one lone yote and i have been locating very big packs this year. i also have a 1,5 walker bluetick cross that comes from some good gritty bear dogs but he has only run coon. got a new job and will be working nights soon so i was thinking about getting them on some yotes at night before i start. thanks alot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

hey good luck and have fun:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:11 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ive had hounds really beat up cuz the nite is the yotes play pen....they know woods better than the hounds....try to get hem hurt on purpose....hell ive seen yotes run threw traffic to get the hounds run over. they arent stupid

Tanner's Get-R-Done Eagle (yote hound)
HHH Run The Beachs of Cheyenne (yote hound)
HHH Chubs Run Em' Down (yote hound)
HHH Checkers Did It Again (yote hound)
GVH Driver (retired mounted foxhunting hound)
Tanner's Wild Raf (yote hound)
Heather's Little Sammy (beagle)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The guys running coyote on here seem to be pretty sharp!

I have run into soooooooo many guys that run coyote that believe their dogs will kill every coyote in the woods if given the chance. Thats just not true.....big male coyotes, especially in mating season will give hounds all they bargain for and more......

I concur with the advice given.....early morning is best time.......

Dogs that want to fight usually get ruined from running coyote......a dog that will bay them is much better in my opinion.

One other note to original poster......running coyotes by yourself is a pretty big task....maybe impossible at night.....hounds running yotes will cover some serious ground in a hurry and if you dont keep up with them they will even get out of tracker range depending on the terrain your in......

Mybeagles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Best time to run them at night is during summer when the corn is shoulder high. Find a 100 acre plus field, Locate coyotes with a siren get your dogs leashed up and listening for the howling, locate, and dump. Get a lawn chair, and enjoy the next 6+ hours of circling in the cornfield, watching your gps, lots and lots of fun. They will usually never catch them with that much room to run, it's a game for yotes, and great training for dogs with no bad habits forming from pen running.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:37 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would like some info hunting with hounds on coyotes I'm looking for a July hound

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have been running with coyote hounds for 7 years and have never ever seen 1,2,3,4,5 or even 6 hounds at once kill a yote they bite and fight a little but never kill them! In my opionion not to many if any single hounds can take out a full grown male coyte or even a 30 pound coyote