CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: hog dogs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:52 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

can anyone tell me the best breed of dogs to use on hogs, i have had people bring what was supposed to be hog dogs here, and i swear they wasn,t worth a quarter. biggest cowards i ever seen. if they were mine i would kill them. i wan,t to get me a pup out of something good, that has some back bone to it. i don,t want something that is mean with other dogs. but something that is not afraid of a 20 lb. pig. if anybody can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks BRAD

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: hog dogs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:39 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i would reccomend plott hounds but there are good dogs in every breed. shooting dogs should be a last resort some dogs arnt worth a hoot on some game but are ireplacable on others, shooting a dog because it lacked grit in my book would be idiotic it just wasnt meant to be a hog dog. iv seen blueticks and plotts used quite frequently and theres always walkers and pits being used....there are good dogs in every breed find a breed you like the looks of then look for the bloodlines that you like the characteristics of and try it out is the best advice i could give you. hope it helps

My dog Cash

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have 2 pups that are 2 moths old that are 1/4 pit a 1/4 leopard and 1/2 keemer that will catch a 25 lb pig and hold it, leopards are good but not for catch dogs most just bay tight. some with keemer so i breed some pit in and it gives me a dog that can jump, run ,and catch. best all around dog i ever had was 1/2 leopard 1/4 ledbetter and 1/4 pit he was unreal!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

There is no one breed that is best suited for hogs,
1st depends on how you hunt, do you want a long range or short range, cold nosed, med nosed to hot nosed, silent, semi- silent, or open mouth.

2nd where will you be hunting? small tracks, or large? do you have plenty of hogs or are they few and far between?

3rd what kind of terrain? mtns, swamps, brush country?

answering these questions will help narrow it down a little, but it all boiles down to personal prefference, there are good and bad in all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:47 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

called frank, he sold all his (my) hog dogs so i wont be coming up there in the next few months. :cry: Just let me know if you are still interested in one of those pups. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I was getting into hog hunting away from the bay pens when I relocated to Kansas and had to give up my hog hunting dogs due to very strict laws that they have regarding hunting hogs. In any case, here's my feedback. If you want to hunt hogs, my recommendation is to NOT use hounds because they bark on track therefore hogs will be driven furthur. Hogs are very smart animals and any dog that is tracking them needs to be silent and very aggressive. Most hounds aren't as a general rule...on big animals that don't climb trees. Plotts are aggressive enough but their barking on track can be a distraction believe it or not. They're also good for huge tracts of properties only..cur dogs are the way to go. Make sure the pup you buy isn't bought just for apperance's sake (catahoulas can be beautiful dogs) but make sure the parents work for a living or else you'll have a dud on your hands.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:53 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

go to TexasBoars.com and you can easly figure it out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I hunt hog and used to hunt bear(lost our season in 1995). It depends on your hunting land that is available. If you have less than several thousand acres hounds arent what you need. On the other hand if, like us have fifty to a hundred thousand acres then they are great.

You must first decide if you want silent or open mouth dogs. When I was younger and a lot tougher I only hunted silent dogs. I have had Catahoulas since 1972 for this. Good ones can come as gritty as you want. I have used some of mine for catch dogs when my Plotts wouldnt catch. Rougher ones dont tend to live long though.

I have hunted every breed of hound there is on hogs and prefer plotts over them all. I used to hunt my plotts only on bear and have had them since 1975. I started hunting them on hogs also in 1995. They also are very rough and tend to get too close a lot.

Personally I would prefer a bay dog that wouldnt put his mouth on one and let the catch dog take the cutting. But there is a fine line between smart and yellow. I wont keep a dog that wont bay a bad hog alone.

So first you need to decide, silent or open mouth. Silent dogs catch more game if they arent messed with a lot. We trophy hunt so we like to choose our track with hounds. Cant choose what you want with silent dogs. But I always keep two or three catahoulas around just in case I want to hunt at night.

Hope this helps some. Didnt mean to write a book

Paul Sisk
Florida

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:09 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Nice post Mr. Sisk

blueduck_ranch@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

bLACKMOUTH CURS ARE MY FAVORATE SILENT AN GRITTY FOR THE MOST PART.i have a weatherdford ben dog that baya hard an catches like a pit on comand verry smart he dosnt get cut verry often an never bin cut bad yet.there a are lots of good dogs.i think silent is better for stopen a hog. just my opinion hope maby i helped a little.....Christian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Get some Catahoula curs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:24 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

seen.... good and bad in all breeds..but gotta stick with plotts.....seems like they just take to it better.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:58 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

when i lived in mississippi i had two blueticks for long tracks and 6 catahoulas and 2 pits the blueticks would rig then the catahoulas would go to work once they bayed em up id walk to within 50 yards or so and cut my pits loose to hold the pigs there

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I hunt hog 2-3 times a week all year long here in Texas and if you want to go with hounds I would go with the plotts. The open mouth arguement is a bunch of BS IMO, a hog knows when its being trailed wether its a silent dog or not. I perfer a yella black mouth cur but have many crosses on my yard like plott x cur, plott x Cat, and have pure plotts as well. My yella curs will go out longer on track and seem to work them faster. I use pits as catch dogs, they are a must. I dont like a rough bay dog at all that is the main reason a hog will break and run.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:15 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Buckhunter1983 wrote:
I hunt hog 2-3 times a week all year long here in Texas and if you want to go with hounds I would go with the plotts. The open mouth arguement is a bunch of BS IMO, a hog knows when its being trailed wether its a silent dog or not. I perfer a yella black mouth cur but have many crosses on my yard like plott x cur, plott x Cat, and have pure plotts as well. My yella curs will go out longer on track and seem to work them faster. I use pits as catch dogs, they are a must. I dont like a rough bay dog at all that is the main reason a hog will break and run.

I agree 100%, thats pretty much how i roll too. lol
Plotts, FBMCs, crosses, and pits. - tnhillbilly