CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

what does bear taste like?Just curious never eat any or heard of anybody eatin any except one old woman said she eat bear liver.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:49 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'll answer this one. We always eat our bears.. But we make it simple: Jerky & Breakfast Sausage. I know some people have it cured to cook like a ham and say it's really good.. I'm limited to the Jerky and sausage and we love it. Bear is pretty similar to most game animals with the gamey flavor.. Pretty lean but real Greasy and does have a bit of a flavor all it's own..

I highly recommend jerky, but you shouldn't do Jerky yourself (like in the oven or with a dehydrator) because Bears can carry Trichinosis like Pork can.. so the jerky we have made is gound-pressed and cooked at high temp by the processor almost like a flat pepperoni stick but with the same texture/flavor as normal jerky.. very good. The sausage is usually pretty greasy/grisly and a bit gamey, but I like the flavor. We usualy butcher our own meat.. but we always take our bear meat to the processor.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:22 pm 
IP:
my best friend bear hunts and we ate bear for supper one time i was over. its really good!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I grind it all into burger.Make sure you get ALL the bear fat out before you grind and add about 5 to 10 percent beef sewit(sp).I love it !!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:22 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

We like Bear meat, just make sure the fat's trimmed off. Roasts, steaks, suasage, it's all good to me. When I killed my first bear, it ruined us for deer meat, now the deer meat gets turned into sausage and stuff.
Bear meat is kind of like dark pork, with a pot roast type grain, not dry, but not fatty either. Makes great sausage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Rem700 wrote:
We like Bear meat, just make sure the fat's trimmed off. Roasts, steaks, suasage, it's all good to me. When I killed my first bear, it ruined us for deer meat, now the deer meat gets turned into sausage and stuff.
Bear meat is kind of like dark pork, with a pot roast type grain, not dry, but not fatty either. Makes great sausage.

Very well said, JMO the only way to fix bear meat is to get a big smoker, get a shoulder or ham, rub on you favorite spices, wrap in aluminum foil, place in smoker for six hrs at 180 - 200 deg. turning every hour. WHOOOO_ EEEEE, it just falls apart.
from the mtns. of east TN. :D
I have never tried bear breakfast sausage, now that sounds delicious.
The old timers around here will fight over the fat off of a bear, to render it to make lard for bisciuts. they like the liver too. ugh! they can have it LOL :D

BEAR MEAT TASTES GREAT!!!!

Last edited by curdog675 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sausage makes great meatloaf and we love to have it made into summer sausage thats the best

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi! Well, Bear tastes a lot like a cross of Pork n Beef. Looks n cooks like Beef but tastes more like Pork. There are many ways to cook it, n they all taste great. But the Best way is in an Iron skillet with chunks of Bear, just fry it up with a bit of salt n pepper. Straight up Delicious!!! And since Bear is so Fatty, I throw a few chunks of Lean Deer meat too! A GREAT combination! No Recipe is needed, Just Fresh Kills n Seasonings! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

kudos Rowdy! Many many ways to cook bear. I perfer it over any meat. I have many recipes if you are interested let me know I'll share a few with you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It all depends on where your bear came from. Bear that have been in corn fields are great cooked anyway with the fat on. Great roasts, fried, cooked in gravy over rice.

Bear from south Georgia and north Florida have to have all the fat trimmed off and dont taste near as good as those N.C. coast cornfield bruins.

Bear from Canada are good with or without the fat. It all depends on what it is eating at the time it is killed. I have never tried sausage. May have to one day if I ever go again.

My personal favorite recipe: Shiskabobs.

Onions
Bell peppers
Bacon
bear
potato(optional)

Marinade in Italian dressing, skewer with a piece of bacon next to each piece of bear meat, cook on grill or open fire.
I would take bear over any wild game.

Good luck
Paul Sisk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think its very rich, I can only eat a few pieces. The best I have had is sausage, brats or hotdogs. On the other hand, we kill a bear, my friends have it on the grill while its still hot))). A few cases of beer, the grill, they died and went to heaven. Not sure if its the beer or bear. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:02 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Montana_Red_Neck wrote:
I'll answer this one. We always eat our bears.. But we make it simple: Jerky & Breakfast Sausage. I know some people have it cured to cook like a ham and say it's really good.. I'm limited to the Jerky and sausage and we love it. Bear is pretty similar to most game animals with the gamey flavor.. Pretty lean but real Greasy and does have a bit of a flavor all it's own..

I highly recommend jerky, but you shouldn't do Jerky yourself (like in the oven or with a dehydrator) because Bears can carry Trichinosis like Pork can.. so the jerky we have made is gound-pressed and cooked at high temp by the processor almost like a flat pepperoni stick but with the same texture/flavor as normal jerky.. very good. The sausage is usually pretty greasy/grisly and a bit gamey, but I like the flavor. We usualy butcher our own meat.. but we always take our bear meat to the processor.
Thats 100% true, Thats exactly what i do with my bears. Jerky is great and sausage is awsome. Probably out of the whole bear i only take 2 or 3 pounds of steak wich is Really good if it is cut right, Im not good at cuting bears up but when my buddy helps me it makes the steak taste allot better

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:35 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i live in oregon spring bears arnt good eating until mid may in my opion then good grass is up for them to eat start putting wieght back on. fall bears are compleatly diffrant eating. been out all summer getting fat. just trim the fat call the buddys put the beer on ice and eat good stuff. but thats all gone now the envyro wack jobs took it a way from us mean hound guys a long time ago. haft to go out of state to chase bears now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

if the bear has been eating fish he will smell like fish, the ones I eat were killed in Jan or feb in the oak groves where they fatten up on acorns. we just took a ham sliced it real thin put it in bear grease first rolled it in flour and fried it in real hot grease.real good,mountain lion the same,killed a bear in Calif and got 6 gallons of lard out of him he weighted over 500,bear lard is real white and real low in Christol[sp] Indians do their cooking with bear grease.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yep, I like my bear meat. I usually grind most of it except the back straps, I cut them into 1/2 inch thick pieces. I'm making a batch of jerky today on the smoker. Mike

Profile  WWW