CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:15 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

my dog treed in the bottom of a gulf one night so i went and got her,as i was climbing out of the gulf i saw two 6 pointers about 25 yards away following me.they ended up following me all the way to the top of the mountain before they just stood there and watched me walk away.i could have nearly hit them in the head with a rock anytime i wanted to lol.i bet ive seen hundreds bed down in the woods going to my dogs that were treed over the years,so i dont think a dog messes up deer hunters,i think its just another excuse they make up as why they didnt get em a deer but truth be known most of em dont have a clue.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm scared to run my squirrel dogs until the holy Grail of seasons ends. I deer hunt also, but deer hunters are spoiled babies. If they don't see a 120 inch Buck just because they put on scent lock suits and the special deer perfume it's somebody's fault. Lord forbid they see a man with a dog box within 100 miles of their bait pile. If they spent 1/8 of the time actually hunting instead of bait and wait they might actually kill the Buck they're after. I bet a dollar to a donut I can smoke cigarettes and wear flip flops shorts and old spice and kill a deer. And let one of these people find out you have a hunting dog when they actually see one poop in their pants make a poor shot. Lol they hear "he hunts with hounds " and they come begging you to use your hound to find their deer. They swear you're a liar when you tell them your dog won't mess with a deer. I say dummies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've been in the situation 2 tho that deer r moving at night & deer hunters want us n there 2 throw the deer off. They say it pushes them 2 move during the day. I guess its just how they think. I was always raised 2 stay out the woods day or night during deer season.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:31 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

the other nite me and my boy went huntin on a wma here in fl we aint got no widerness. what we got is swamp guess what. thats what fl is. a swamp duh! well we done turned out several times treed a few. killed one let others go. the dogs were restin or what ever they do in the box. i started shining fields couse iv been reading this thread for a bit and was wondering if we bothered any deer. the answer is no every field we came to had deer rabits a fox in one my son said wow dad we just turned out there. and there are deer in the field. guess we didnt do any damage. so it proves to me. that as long as the deer arent gettn chased by dogs they dont mind sharing the nite with them. heck i know yotes will run deer. all b.s. aside there are bigger things deer have to worry about like some hunter sittn in his stand smelling like breakfast. not dogs just bad hunter who have to blame misfortune on something besides them

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:03 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Clemson University did a study on this subject. Google " impact of coonhunting on deer movement "

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

marpal wrote:
Clemson University did a study on this subject. Google " impact of coonhunting on deer movement "
thanks for posting that- very interesting study- it proved what all of us already knew but we didnt have the proof- my dogs have passed within 20 yds of deer and the deer never moved other that just a quick glance at the hound. As long as you don't run trashy dogs, the deer will never care at all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Even if your dog was to run a deer, it would never leave its normal home range, which I thought was a good point. That's really just common sense ! I'm not so sure that it doesn't help. Of course that's something no hard core deer hunter would even consider. Most are so narrow minded they don't think about farmers, ranchers, and oil workers, are in, out, and around ,year round. Not to mention these same ridges, hollows, hills, and bottoms, they are deer hunting, have been bird, rabbit, squirrel , and coonhunted since creation. So to follow their logic, there wouldn't even be deer in these places. By the way, I have also harvested deer in places I coonhunted the night before.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Buckshot, is there any way you could post the Clemson study on this forum ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I know it actually helps with deer hunting they stay in bed and get hungry the next day they get up and go eat so u see them better next day were they feed in night and stay in bed all day if you don't hunt a night my uncle killed big one this year only time. We see him ion camera was day after I hunted at night befote

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

As anyone knows if they have followed a trash dog through the woods. A deer track is fast and makes a big circle right back where you jumped them. The deer never leave their area. We hunt during deer season every year as opening day of furbearers and deer rifle season usually are the same weekend. I have never seen any effect from running the dogs in the same woods I hunted the night before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Know who I blame for this mindset? Deer hunting product makers and TV shows with product sponsors. They tell you to stay out of the deers bedroom or he will move. Also, scent manufacturers tell you that you need to be scent free to get a deer. So many 'deer hunters' buy into their mindset that they don't even like for you to drive down the road. If anything, they are sanitizing their hunting ground too much and when someone does enter the area, it alarms the deer. Amazing how many deer I see from the cab of the tractor 30 minutes before sundown.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

NO,I had a hound with a big loud mouth tree one night and I saw some deer bedded down about 60 ft. from where he was treeing . I had one young hound go on through the woods so I tied that hound to the tree and went after that other hound. when I cought that hound and went back to the tree to my suprise those deer never even got up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Coonhunting does not effect the deer hunting I know for a fact ,my dog treed a coon right beside my tree stand one night the next morning I killed a deer right under the stand !

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Dogs do not bother the deer. Many number of times ive walked into trees and had deer watching me. Also just pull out of a spot and theres deer feeding right where I sent the dogs. So dogs do not bother the deer at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A buddy runs 3 hounds during on a section he owns and still kills nice 140+ bucks there.