CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:43 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

the old big horned deer get smart alot dont relize that. bird season opens and you have folks blasting away at doves etc gets the deer nervous. then the trophy hunting folks come into the leases and start scouting around looking for deer signs putting up deer stands and hammering and putting up corn feeders. cutting and trimming senderos and rideing four wheelers around makein all sorts of noise sure enough makeing the deer more nervous. the deer get use to ranchers comeing along feeding cattle or driveing around checkin fences etc and leaveing. when it gets cool weather then you have folks stalking around the woods the old wise ones know its time to lay low dureing the daylight.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Most deer hunters will tell you that our coonhounds do move the deer around and to some degree thats most likely true..But in Mass. where I live and coonhunt the kill season is closed for the two week shotgun deer season...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:34 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

deer won't run from a dog unless the dog is chasing it. as soon as a dog that is chasing deer stop, the deer turn around and go right back where they were. i love to see rabbit hunters come to hunt where i'm deer hunting. not that thier dogs run deer, but it will get the deer to move around. think about it. we are hunting deer that sleep during the day , during the day. there are so many deer hunters that know nothing about a deer behavior. i've killed many big deer and bucks while making noise, drinking coffee and smoking,sitting on a bucket while the guy in the next field is in descented clothes, needing to pee and starving because he is affraid to move. i've seen deer many times laying on the ground or standing less then 100 yards from where the dogs just blistered a track and slammed a tree. i've learned more about deer, hunting coon at night, then most deer hunters will learn in a life time..i hunted the woods behind my house all night untill just about day light,walked to the house, took my light off and got my muzzle loader , walked back out to the woods and killed one of the largest bucks ever killed in this county.........with a large coyote population our deer are much more aggressive toward dogs then i've ever seen. mostly the does from protecting fawns.........i think if deer hunters understood deer behavior better, coon hunters, rabbit hunters and deer hunters would get along much better.............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:12 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I think deer are alot more relaxed at night anyway. I've driven my truck to within 20 yards of deer as they were feeding in a field edge at night. I've walked behind the hounds and saw a glimmer of eyes in the brush and saw deer standing within spittin distance. Not 2 weeks ago I walked up to within 5 feet of a deer that was layin behind a log. I'm convinced that if I'd been another 5 feet away and hadn't practically stepped on that doe she'd have let me walk right past her. In fact I'd just cut my dog loose and he'd already run right past her.

At any rate....I think I'll wait til during the week to run the hounds during deer season. I can't feature not getting out there and treeing a few. But I also like to be as safe as possible when I can be, both for my sake and the dogs sake. The woods are flooded with every Tom, ##*%*, and Harry on the weekends...ESP opening weekend. But weekdays aren't nearly as crowded.

I know one thing. Coon season doesn't open for another 2 months. I gotta start thinkin bout somethin else :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:20 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

:D :D LOLOLOL It appears coondawgs didn't appreciate the other name in that saying. Maybe I should have put Tom, Fred, and Harry....or somethin like that instead!!! LOLOLOL :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:48 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

yea , my dogs breeding is herns red eagle di-ck, if i don't put the - in it it comes out herns red eagle ##*%* :lol: :lol: ...........TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:49 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

a bedded deer is hard to move sometimes reguardless of what is looking for it. if that deer dont think you arent paying it any attention it wont budge that is what they are trained to do as fawns, it is thier protection. but i have noticed a lot of times deer hunting that a deer will act like its focus is off of you, what i call corner eying. i think they focus a lot on eye contact just my opinion from my own experiences with deer. and i also think that with as many people in the woods during deer season that deer pattern people just as much as we pattern deer, they aint stupid. im sure that is just a common sense thing to them. but i think that because of that it is more the deer adjusting to us in the woods more than dogs running them or moving them. our scent in the woods, loud noises, and heavy activity poses as immediate danger to them and they adjust to it plain and simple, and why i think that alot of deer become nocturnal during season. which a brighter moon means more activity at night anyway for anything. Hunting is all about outsmarting or catching the animal off-guard. i do know that if a big buck is bumped off of its bed or its bed is disturbed chances are he will never return to that bed but dont mean he left the area.

as few coonhunters in the woods at night, compared to deer hunters in the day, deer can adjust more to and become more used to in the woods. especially seeing as how coonhunters try to avoid deer. im sure deer are aware of this. dogs have to more natural scent and sight to deer especially as many yotes there are out there. to deer they have to resemble one another. never had problems with coonhunters before i was a coonhunter. deer on the move is always a good thing, you see more and have more of a selection. weather conditions are always a big factor also in deer movement, i like the quiet rainy days more than any. scent is down, deer are moving almost always, and the lazy people are to sorry or scared to get a little wet (less people). even though i where some scent cover it only goes on the bottom of my boots and that is it.

'PR' TERMITE'S ROWDY
'PR' JOLLIE'S BUCK BRUSH AUGGIE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:27 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I just wish there was no such thing as deer season. If there weren't a season, then land owners in the area wouldn't act so goofy about people running hounds in the neighboring areas. Every year it is a hastle with people getting all excited about deer in our area, as if they are scarce. Everybody has an excuse, or someone to blame for them not shooting a trophy buck every single year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:37 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

this is for those who think it will hurt it kidda dose disrupt the deer but in a way it dosent deer bed down during the mid day hours thats why we go out in the morn and come back out in the v\evening because they lay down than get back up and feed all night they dont like bedding alone at night because yotes and such soo if you are goin to hunt woods for coons hunt but make sure you can and its not against the regulations but the deer in my parts are always out atr night soo if you go hunting look for them first and see where they are at.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:49 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

deer dont always bed in mid day hours. 90% of the deer that i have killed have been killed between noon and 2 PM. and of that 90% about 75% have been bucks. from what i have noticed they bed in mid morn hours and begin moving again when most people are out to lunch. been my most sucessful time to be in the woods. and i have found many big beds way out in the woods that have not been even close to another bed. but of course the deer population in my area is not of the charts by any means. last time they did the census on em i think it was only like 15-20 deer per square mile here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:15 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Around here they will kill ANY dog not on a leash. Farm dog included even if it is near a barn or something even if its on your own land. Even after the season ends some deer hunters will kill dogs that are not on leashes because they do not want to ruin the hunting for next year. Its pretty seroius here when it comes to deer hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:56 pm 
IP:
I only started hunting last winter so I haven't experienced deer season hunting. I intend on running my dog the same as normal. One thing is that deer season or not, anybody out shooting deer in the woods in the middle of the night is poaching. Poaching is poaching, can't do anything about that and I don't think my dog is any more or less safe from poachers next month than he was in January. People poach on my little chunk of hunting land, I've come across a couple of gut piles so far. I would be more worried about the bucks ruttin' than the people shooting them illegally. I do hope I don't run into the situation that BADKARMA has experienced though.

My best times to spot bucks are around 10:00 AM for whiteys and right when it starts to get dusk for muleys. I'm taking my boyfriend on his first hunt this year and I told him not to expect me at 4:00 AM all de-scented and camouflaged. I did that my first year yet never saw a buck until a more reasonable hour. I'm sleeping in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:48 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

BADKARMA wrote:
Around here they will kill ANY dog not on a leash. Farm dog included even if it is near a barn or something even if its on your own land. Even after the season ends some deer hunters will kill dogs that are not on leashes because they do not want to ruin the hunting for next year. Its pretty seroius here when it comes to deer hunting.

I dont even know what to say to somethin like that. All hunters in WI can't be like that. I'm sure there are some people like that in every state. I tend to agree with MT. If people are gonna poach and shoot dogs....they're gonna do it in January and February the same as they'll do it in November during the actual season. I too hope I dont ever come across somethin like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:41 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Around here there are very few spots you can go coon hunting within 1 hour drive. It is a combination of very small plots of hunting land or leased woods. What happened is that we have man Pope and Young trophy's in the woods around here so there are many city folk that move here for the deer hunting. They spend $1000's on deer hunting alone each season and for them it is their life for a 9 day season. They wait all year. The poaching is very minimal around here.

The other problem is that the farmers get their lands and fences damaged every year by hunters. Some have permission and some do not. Fields have been drove through and fences have been cut or cattle ran through fences. We have hmongs that do nothing but tresspass. The hunters do not respect their prividlege to hunt these spots. Farmers are fead up with all of the ##*%*.

Then you have the "guides" They lease up every damn acre they can find. They pay top dollar and will pay the farmer for any damage done with the understanding NOBODY is on that land at ANY time.

Getting any land to hunt on is darn hard. The public land has been picked off from many many years of hunting and it is some of the worst you will ever find, just abunch of impossible brush with no breaks.

Not everybody from WI is like this. Three years ago I had 7 spots to hunt, last year I had 3, this year I lost all. I have been out on the weekends asking but most farmers are really learery to say the least. I may have one spot to use but it will be late season in the dead of winter when the snow is so deep. I cannot afford to even shoot a coon if I get a spot because fear that if I do that small piece of land may not house any other ones. You just have to make the most of what you have mom always said. I really envy you guys that have more than one place to hunt or have your own land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Oh now I know all about all that. The guides around here are the same way. One outfitter around here had alot of acreage leased out then some big shots from IL came across the river, paid the landowners more per acre.....and the guy that's been leasin it all these years suddenly lost all that ground. And I'm not talkin a hundred acres. I'm talkin about thousands of acres.

We have quite a bit of public land around here and dont have any problems finding coons to get after. I've not asked alot of farmers yet about coonhunting. I do know of some landowners that I can probably get permission from. Once they regular firearms season is over they're done with the deer hunting. But they dont spend 1000's of dollars and live for the season either like you said some guys from up your way do.

I dont know what I'd do if I couldn't hunt coons and be out in the woods with my dogs. That'd drive me absolutely crazy. To have ZERO places to go.......feel bad for ya man. Hope it gets better for ya!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next