CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:10 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I was reading the state reg's last night for the upcoming gun deer season here in Missouri. Our kill season opens on the same day as our deer season. Now of course I dont hunt coons during the same hours of the day that people are out deer hunting. But I was wondering if any of ya'll go ahead and coon hunt at night and deer hunt during the day.

I guess I'm afraid of poachers that road hunt at night. I've heard more then a few guys talk about shooting a dog on their place just because they were under the impression that dog was, or might have been, pushing deer off of their property.

If any of ya'll do hunt at night for coons during deer season....what kind of, if any, safety precautions do you take? Putting an orange vest on your dog like upland bird hunters sometimes put on their dogs? Reflective collars? Any other safety measures you might take?

I know its all a personal choice as to whether or not a person is going to run their dogs during gun deer season.....but I was just wondering how many of ya'll did and what precautions you took.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:40 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i do it, not alot of people hunt deer in the woods i hunt coons in, i usually try and go to more remote spots where i know there will be less chance of seeing other people. but i tend to do this all the time just to stay away from people, cause people and houses and coondawgs at nite = trouble and shot dogs.

Post subject: dogs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:48 am 
IP:
i hunt my dogs in the same woods as deer hunters no problems yet. except wat every body else goes threw ( your gonna run the deer off boo hoo) give mne a break if you got a dog that will not fool with deer the deer will just stand there looking at the dog done seen it a hundred times lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:19 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I keep reflective collars on the dogs year round.
Im a very avid deer hunter,but I still coon hunt.
Some deer hunters think they own the woods,and would shoot a dog just because they dont have much anatomy to work with,and think it "ruined" the hunt.
Bull Butter..
Im more nervous about runnin the dogs due to this reason.
I have had dogs,coyotes,bobcat come by me,and I still seen,or tagged a deer.
Best hope you can get your dog out of the woods that night.
Good luck to ya,day and night.
Lookin forward to ours myself.

Saint and Ticket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:21 pm 
IP:
i do it but everyone knows my dogs and i will let them know i am huntin that night so they all shut the gates and i go in about 60 acres then turn loose have never had problems but i do not always do that but still no problems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:06 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i don't care what the season is, i go. day and night. i don't kill game in the off season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:31 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i deer hunt by day and coon hunt by night. but i do hunt my hound in places that are kinda rough anyway and private property. not to many deer hunters here dedicated enough to hunt that kinda stuff. :) good thing too cause it keeps it all to myself in both worlds. i am really picky about where i take him during the rifle seasons though. even though i havent had problems yet because most of the people that hunt in those areas i already know real good so it all works out, and they know what my hound does and dont do. so thats a plus. at the same time i respect the fact they like to deer hunt some of the woods i coon hunt and i let em be to keep peace which i think is fair seeing as how they only hunt 2 weeks of the year anyway.

'PR' TERMITE'S ROWDY
'PR' JOLLIE'S BUCK BRUSH AUGGIE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:27 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

during deer season is some of the best coon hunting time of the year. it is funny to me that coon hunters know much more about deer then these so called avid deer hunters that go to the woods 2 weeks out of the year and think it should be ONLY open for them to hunt deer.they also get upset after they buy their de-scented clothes and all the garbage to be successfull and i sit on a plastic bucket and drink coffee and kill more deer and often bigger bucks. i hunt for the meat and do not care about trophy racks. i have a 16 point rack mounted that i found on a old dead deer 50 yards from my back door. i had watched him eat pears off my trees for a few years and i never even thought about shooting him in season.i hunt coon hard in deer season, i just get out of the woods earlier then other times. we have such a long deer season in mich i would not be doing much coon hunting if i did'nt go in deer season.its my rabbit hunting with beagles that suffers though...............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:18 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree that during deer season is some of the best coon hunting. I know some guys that do and some guys that dont run their hounds. Next year will be worse here in Missouri. The season for deer is open for 20 straight days. Well actually thats the regular season and then the antlerless season......back to back.

I guess the only way to do it is to absolutely minimize the chance meeting of someone in the woods. I try to do this as a rule anyway but find it harder during the deer rifle season. I'll just plan on going a few hours after dark....and as TC said....get outta there earlier then normal. Those looooong nights in the woods are awesome but sure make it harder to get out of bed 2 hours after getting IN bed. But hey.....that is the time of year I live for :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:10 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you care anything about your dog I would not. I have in the past but it was where the landowners did not care for deer hunting, and the dog I had was an extremely close hunter. If your dog is not than I would wait the two weeks. Deer hunters are out at night too, and they do not care much for dogs barking in the woods.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:48 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

our deer season last from nov. to feb. our coon season last from oct to feb. i'm not staying out of the woods for any deer hunter who is stupid enough to mess with me or my dogs!! :!: any deer hunter in the woods at night is poaching.alot of deer hunters get accidently shot.there are alot of dangers for a coon dog while hunting. i guess deer hunters could be considered as one also. there are alot of dangers for deer hunters while hunting.i guess i could be considered thier biggest,if they are messing with my dog.i've hunted coon for 36 years and every year i hunted through deer season and never had a problem...............TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:36 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i guess it just depends on your location. down this way deer hunters pay alot more for a deer lease then we do to coonhunt on the places. alot of the landowners ask us to lay out the places dureing deer season. there are places we hunt dureing deer season but we hunt dureing the week and lay out the places friday thru sunday night. i like to deer hunt myself but i dont use the cover scents etc the die hard deer hunters do. i use some doe in heat scent is about all i use. alot of the places the die hards are hunting trophies on and complain they dont see them well we see them at night while coonhuntin. we know where most the big ones hang out on the places and got a good idea where they spend the day but i dont never tell the trophy hunters where they are. i figure being the experts they are they should know that. :lol: rifle season here starts first Saturday in November and ends first Sunday in January of the new year. i figure they only get a couple of months to hunt for their trophy and we get the rest of the year to run the hounds so i dont mind giveing them their chances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:56 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i hunt during deer season. Most of the places I hunt are conservation land that limit deer hunters to shotguns. the trophy hunters don't go there. i've never had a problem, other than one year one of the counties finest wanted to know what we were doing. but that turned out ok after he found the dog box in the back of the truck and found out from the game warden my license was correct. really nice guy after that. :roll: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I grew up running coons during deer season. usualy we would just unload late, about 10pm because most deer hunters are usualy asleep by then or so partyied up they can't hear anything anyway and then just make sure we had the dogs caught by 4am. the only issue we ever had was dogs wanting to roll in gut piles, lol. we had several places we would stay away from as they was "hunt clubs" and we had open run of them after deer season but they was perticular about them during season. but there was many a time we'd run dogs behind our house at night, then I'd hunt the same area the next morning and see deer. my opinion is that running a dog at night won't disrupt the deer near as much as the orange army does in the morning walking in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:33 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm of the opinion that deer dont do their "normal" thing after opening morning anyway. Once first light hits on the first day......alot of deer are already fully aware that the woods are full of stinking, loud hunters. They scare alot more deer then my hounds do. But to tell a deer hunter that.... especially one that doesn't also coonhunt....and he'd have a different opinion I'm sure.

I'm gonna hunt my dogs. If I didn't hunt them during deer season.....I'd only have about 2 weeks worth of kill season at the most to run them. I dont kill every coon they tree.....but I do enjoy taking a few home with me.