CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Climbing Dogs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Anyone have a dog that will climb a tree? I hunted my buddies dog in a club hunt a while back and while we were in the woods my buddy and i saw something big and white in a tree about 8 feet up. We were like whats that and bout that time the dog jumped out. ( the dog was not my buddies just another dog in the cast)

The other night my buddy and i were out for a pleasure hunt when the dogs treed but something wasnt right. His dog who is just an average tree dog bc he chews bad was hammerin close to 100 bpm as we walkd in we only saw one dog and then we llooked up and his dog was 15-20 feet up. he had climbed up a fallen log (prolly the same log the coon used) and had his head buried in the hole of the den. My buddy had to climb up and get him bc he couldnt get down. Not to mention my buddy also looked in the hole while he was there and did see the coon.

Last edited by shorty0321890 on Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:47 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

VERY DANGEROUS HABIT! for both you and the dog- the dog could fall out of the tree and die, or fall on you, or you could fall if you climed the tree to get the dog down. ive heard its a very hard habit to break. try a lighted collar and shockin system- when you see the dog starting to climb shock him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:11 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

True it is a very bad habit I have to friends that have dogs that will climb and it is not good. Getting a 70 lb walker out of the top of a tree is not easy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Oh neither of the dogs were mine, ( after rereading my post i forgot to mention the first dog was just another dog in the cast not my buddies dog) and ive only seen my buddies dog do it that one time and he was scared out of his mind when he realized he couldnt get down. I did get a couple good pics on my phone though and did give us a good laugh im glad he didnt get hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:35 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Dogs that climb need to broke as soon as possible.Many are killed every year from falling out of trees.One of my good buddys.Saved for 2 years to buy a top dog.He found the dog he wanted.He couldnt wait to hunt him.So as soon as he got home he went hunting.The very first dump the dog climbed about 75 ft up a tree.It fell or jumped out as my buddy got to the tree.Talk about being sick.In less than 10 min of hunting the dog was dead.Hes never been coon hunting again..That was about 4-5 years ago and he still wont go hunting..Come to find put.Thats the reason the guy sold him the dog.He was a really bad climber and fell or jumped out fo many tree already...He never told my buddy the dog climbed at all.....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:42 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Haha I wish my dog only went about 15 or 20 feet up the tree. One of mine went about 30 or more feet up the tree tryin to gtet to the bear. Meanless to say the bear got out and my other dogs took it on and the one dog was still stuck in the tree. The tree leaned out at an angle so thats how he was able to go so far up. The same dog just had a rod put in his themer last fall from a bear that smacked him. My dad said all he could see was goin back to VT to have him fixed. My buddy was with my dad and he climbed up the tree and my dad was underneath to catch if the dog fell. My budd got him down to about 5 foot off the ground and let dropped him down to my dad. We have pics of him up in the tree ill try to get it posted up on here tomorrow.

Matt

Post subject: tree climbers
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:34 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

In my experience, once they start climbing, its hard to stop them from getting worse. Also, ones that chew on trees tend to be good at climbing--the persistent ones use their mouths to grab branches above them. I had one that could shinny up a tree with no branches, though, even if it was perfectly vertical. Keeping the dew claws trimmed helps slow this.
If you look in Del Cameron's book, Call of the Hounds, there are some pictures of his dogs way, way, up trees--70 feet or more. Bear hunters seem more motivated than coonhunters, although my little redbone climber would actually climb some trees while trailing, not just when treed. It is a bad habit, but awfully cute to watch, even if dangerous. There was one abandonned apple orchard that I would take my Rooster to that he would be up and down those dwarf trees looking for that coon all night. He was pretty careful about where he jumped out--always jumping uphill or into water if that was an option and never got hurt, He was also the kind of dog that could chew down a sapling like a beaver if you tied him out to something too flimsy. He chewed through many tie-out cables and seatbelts in his day.
esp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:03 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

My dad had a Bluetick female that would climb as high as she could pretty funny actualy sometimes we would have to climb the tree beacuse she couldnt get down. :lol:

Pr"Houstons Outlaw Ringo"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:30 am 
IP:
My brother took this picture of my dog and I a couple nights ago.

The dog on the ground is his 10 month old pup Sadie.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:42 pm 
IP:
NITECH GRCH N GASTYLISH BIG DUTCH(http://i25.tinypic.com/28jjlg0.jpg) check this pic out boys 18 ft off the ground

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

thats awesome, i hope the pup i get can climb like that

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

walkertalker wrote:
if you ever stood and watched your hound hung in the crotch of a tree dieing after fallin from up higher in the tree, you would not say that.they dont all fall clean and just hit the ground.its a helpless feeling to not be able to get to it to help it.you would think falling and hitting the ground would stop one from climbing, it don't.if it dont kill it or cripple it ,it will climb another sooner or later and sooner or later it will kill or cripple it. the only way i have ever kept a climber from climbing is to cut its toenails short short and keep em cut short.but if a tree has some lean to it,a climber,even with no toenails,will be up it.. you may slow one down, but you wont break a climber from climbing....................TC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:28 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
walkertalker wrote:
if you ever stood and watched your hound hung in the crotch of a tree dieing after fallin from up higher in the tree, you would not say that.they dont all fall clean and just hit the ground.its a helpless feeling to not be able to get to it to help it.you would think falling and hitting the ground would stop one from climbing, it don't.if it dont kill it or cripple it ,it will climb another sooner or later and sooner or later it will kill or cripple it. the only way i have ever kept a climber from climbing is to cut its toenails short short and keep em cut short.but if a tree has some lean to it,a climber,even with no toenails,will be up it.. you may slow one down, but you wont break a climber from climbing....................TC

no you wont, my two best dogs are climbers and have taken some rough falls. ive tried everything but the dogs are always up there before i get to the tree. heres a pic from tonight. dog got lucky once again.

Post subject: Re: Climbing Dogs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

This is one hound that broke himself,he could climb like a coon and it was'nt nothing for him to get 30 ft or more up.If he could get a toe hold he was gone.It is hard to tell but in the photo he is stuck.He must have fell and wedged,he screamed like crazy when tried to get him out.But that did it,he never climbed again.

Post subject: Re: Climbing Dogs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

if you got a jacker on the tree,and u know it one remedy for it,when u get to the tree if the hound is jacking the tree.hook him up with a short chain to his collar ring with a big padlock.it will break him running or jacking the tree.