CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Climbing Dogs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:46 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i won't say all , but most coondogs will end up in a tree sometime during their hunting life.but most wont be up as high as a full out tree climber.or nearly as often.the true climbers i have had would not jack a tree or run it, one could climb trees i could not even think about climbing w/tree spikes.,straight up and no limbs for 15 ft, and it was a nightly deal with him....................TC

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

nothin funny bout tree climbing. sure it makes for some neat pictures and expensive vet bills.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I ain't never owned a climber but I've got a buddy that does. He's older so i'm always the one climbing up there to get her. It can ruin a good night of huntin and you never know if the next time they climb will be there last.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If the tree is leaning my dog will run up the tree after the coon. I forgot how high it was (i know between 30 or 40 feet) but he ran up a tree trying to get to the to the coon and when the coon jumped out he jumped out and got up and ran after him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

As a young man, I had a running walker/bluetick female that was a heck of a coon/bobcat hound. She was not very big, perhaps 35-40 lbs. She used to make me so made, especially on cats for she would climb the tree and jump the cat out before I could get to her. One of the times, I wish that I had a camera was when the dogs had treed a big tom in a dead mesquite. The tree forked about 5 feet off the ground and two of my dogs were on the right hand fork and the cat was on the left. To top it off, a full moon was coming up in the background.
Not long after this scene, the female feel from a tree and landed on a snag, breaking a couple of ribs. She never climbed again.
Adios,
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ya i remember the first time my blue dog claimed a tree we turned them out they got treed so we gave them a few min to settle down when we got there me dog was treeing but nowhere to be found lol we where like k where is he we looked up in a top of a tree and there he sat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:31 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

This is a really dagerous thing to have your dog do. I hunt big game with my dogs from bear to cats. I personally only seen this once, i was hunting with my hunting buddys and we were running a bobcat for a couple of hours or so the cat was putting the slip on the dogs. well they finally treed it and when we cam over the this hill we were eye level with a very expensive bear and cat dog he was 30 feet up the tree fighting the cat. well needless to say the dog fell out and was fine, but my other buddy that is a full time guide said there was two reasons why that was dangerous 1 he could of broke something falling out, 2 when dogs are used to hunting big game, there is always somthing big falling out of a tree, and thats how most dog on dog kills happen because the ones on the ground think its the game and go crazy on it. My Buddy truned down 10,000$ on this dog this winter, he has been hunting with hound for 50 years and has never had a dog this good, imagin if that dog would have died!

The guy says can you wait till you get bigger to be a bear hunter? My son says I ALREADY AM.. He's 4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I went hunting one summer night, and my Black & tan climbed a slanted tree that was over grown with wild grape vines. Could not see a thing just heard him barking. I had two of my brother in laws with me that had never been coon hunting before they got the biggest kick out of a tree climbing dog. We stood there ate grapes and took a break intill i got him down.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:10 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

a buddys of mine has a cur that "hugs" the tree, and climbs herself up a lil bit, she like grapples her self up.... only bout 10 ft though..........

3. Girls
4. Chevrolet
5. Hearin them hounds treein' away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:50 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

one week my dog treed a coon up a 45 degree nice big tree and decided it was a good idea to go up after it, so she did about 12 feet up in the tree. not too high but high enough lol. the next week she decided it would be a good idea to fall into a 10 foot deep to the water barn well. my dog really likes the extremes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This past weekend, my 85 pound, 2 year old male bluetick went up into a fork in the tree that wasn't too high up, maybe about 8 or 10 feet, and seemed to be stuck. I was afraid he was gonna fall and break a leg, so I yelled to my husband to help me catch him. My husband was back farther, so just as I take about two steps to the tree, the branch Leroy's hanging in breaks and smacks me on the head and left a nice welt on my shoulder. My husband got hit in the face with it trying to grab me out of the way. Leroy came out fine, I just hope he learned his lesson. I think he was really pissed at that coon cuz it tore up our female's ear and she was covered in blood when we finally turned our attention to her. I don't like what I'm hearin about once a climber, always a climber, cuz he has tried to climb before.

Wildwood Blues' Fly Christina
Wildwood Blue Menominee Chief

Huntin' the Heck outta Holly Rec!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My buddy's dog went up a leaning tree to about 20 ft. and fell out causing the spinal cord to swell. He took the dog to the vet, and they said there's a possibility the dog will die. How many have had this happen to you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:15 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have seen a bunch of dogs climb trees luckily never seen any fall .. Saw my pup walk out a tree that had fell and jump off the other side about 10 feet up wasn't real bad tho .. Saw my buddy's dog climb like a coon about 35 to 40 foot up a cedar one night had to climb up and lead her Down with the coon setting above there heads

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:06 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

My female has climbed two leaning trees and fell out of both. The 1st she was about 40ft up and had the coon. She was pregnant and ended up falling out. Yelped one time and went back to treeing. Took her to the vet and she was fine. Had 10 pups a month later. The second one was this past weekend on a comp hunt. About 30ft up but stoped barking when we got close. The 2caught her so got minus walked in to catch her but she was up the tree. Fell out and was fine. Any idea how to break her from it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:45 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

cut the toenails as short as you can get them.
I had one yrs ago that would climb. soon as you hit the woods with your light on he would shut up. the fool could see you a long ways from up there. if I shut my light off he would start treeing again.
when I got close I had to shine the trees to find him.
I cut his toenails short enough they would bleed. its the only thing that slowed him down any from climbing.
I shocked him,, threw him off a leaner into the river and shot coon off the same limbs he was on.
I absolutely hate to have my dog climb.
I had 2 guys up from north Georgia to see boomer go. we got to one tree and he was bout 6 feet up on the side of the tree with his teeth sunk into it and hanging there like a pitbull on a car tire.
them guys said wow man thats awesome..
as I looked for a tree limb to club him off the tree I said ,
yea, give me a second and ill show ya some awesome.