CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wolves killing hounds?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I live in the U.P. of Michigan with quite a few wolves where I coon hunt. I've heard of wolves killing hounds and wondered what the circumstances were when it happened. Was the hound by himself or with a pack and got singled out? I'm asking because I'm thinking I should run another hound with my old blue dog for back up in case this happens to me. Tell me your stories and what you think you could of done different, if anything.

It's a shame they had to plant wolves here, What were they thinking!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i had a wolf kill one of my bear dogs that had moved away from the pack I started using bells and I havent had no trouble with the wolfs with the dogs having bells on it doesnt matter how many dogs are together when a wolf wants to start killing dogs they will go after as many as they can I know this from people i hunt with that have had this happen.also were you from in the up im also from the up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm over on Drummond Island, I know for fact we have a couple packs of wolves here. I raise beef cattle also and have spotted them checking out the cattle and have had some cattle killed here. Trying to convince the DNR that wolves done it is a waste of time. I wondered if they would give my coonhound trouble, before the wolves I had coyotes come into the tree, but I was squalling trying to find the coon when they showed up, still I thought it was rather brave of them to come into two plotts and a walker on the tree! Thanks for your story and information, I think I might try the bells

Mike

Post subject: wolves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Can someone tell me how does coon hunting in say like northern Wisconsin work when there are wolves there? Is it a non issue or are they a real threat to attack a coon dog?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I don't have wolves here but I've heard of guys loosing pairs of dogs to a pack. I have coyotes here in NY that will come in on my hound when he's tree'd. They've never won the fight though.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:32 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My crossbreed cur/hound is 55lbs, I think she can take care of herself but I run my Jack Russell rescue dog with her for exercise. When my hound was young and still running a deer now and then I would always know because the Jack would come back, if it was coon, the Jack stayed right there with her, and when I knocked the coon out that ol Jack was all over it, but she is pushing ten now and fat and I worry a coyote will get her. In a few years I wanna move back to northern Wisconsin, so that is why I was wondering about the wolves. DNR says you can go to a website or call to see where the packs are but they couldn't possibly track all the wolves. I know they run bear hounds but that is usually a pack of hounds, didn't know if just one coon hound by itself was at risk from wolves or not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Tell ya this! Last time I hunted or will ever hunt again in northern Wisconsin been bout 10 years ago. We had a bear treed and on way to tree where we had 11 dogs, the wolves got 9 of them out of the 11. It doesn't matter how many dogs ya got if they start killing unless you can get to em in time your dog's are at there mercy. As for me I think to much of my dogs to go back and hunt there, where my dogs could wind up as puppy food to raise another litter of vermin!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Wow man that is terrible and more than just a little scary! which county were you in? I was thinking of moving to Rusk.