CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:29 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

This is going to sound far fetched but it is very true ... My dad has a chocolate lab that I watched take on four coyote's last year and he come out of top ... killed all but one of them and the fourth one was tore up bad enough it left a blood trail to a briar patch 40 yrds. away. This is no ordinary lab though. He is one of the ugliest dogs I have ever seen but he is a good dog!! Raised as a farm dog he is built like a brick sh*t house. But the reason he looks so hideous is because when he was born his mom was turning around killing the pups as they came out (her first litter) they caught her just as she was chewing on his head and he was the only one that lived but his left ear is practically on top of his head and the left side of his face is all messed up lookin' ... Like somethin out of a horror movie, if you go to my dads you surely don't get out of the car unless you know bently!! LOL ... I will have to get a pic. of him and put on here for ya'll to see ... I guess it's true what they say about not messin with ugly people ... THEY GOT NOTHIN TO LOSE!! LMAO!! I have thought about taking him coon hunting with me and just keeping him on the lead .. and if I thought my hounds were in any trouble with coyote's I would simply unsnap Bently and look out yotes!! Hear come the heavy artillery!! LOL

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:30 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

here's a link to a story about a recent incident in western NY:
http://observertoday.com/articles.asp?articleID=9770

I've got to say that it sounds to me like that reporter didn't ask too many questions. Most of the yotes I've encountered would have run off if you made a lot of noise and whacked at them with ski poles. If a yote had a grip on my hound and I wasn't armed, I'd be defending the hound with anything handy.
I have a lot of yotes near me and I hunt alone with my hound. He's not afraid of the yotes, but he worries about me being out with them. He won't hunt around them unless I stay near the Jeep until he calls me! LOL He's perfectly willing to let me hunt with him when there are bears around...
My hound calls back and forth to the yotes in the mountains around us and they know to stay clear of our yard. They do not stay clear of the neighbor's yard.. She has two German shepherds, and the yotes come right into her yard.
A lot of the guys around here say that light collars help keep the yotes away from hounds. I use one (when its working).

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

WIhounds wrote:
all they yotes around here get ran pretty hard...they learn real quick not to go anywhere near a barking hound...if its legal where u are i would find someone with yote dogs and run them some they will learn real quick...other than just shoot em.

if your in northwest ohio contact me. we go out almost every weekend in the winter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:19 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i had some circle me my buddy n a pup.... wasnt sure what it was in didnt have the gun with me so u backed off.... then they still followed so we left... how we know they were yotes is they were circlin and when we laft they started howlin now i carry a gun

3. Girls
4. Chevrolet
5. Hearin them hounds treein' away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:00 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Coyotes are a breeding population that has to be controled ever year by everyone. for about last twenty years ive hunted coyotes with my walker running hounds and theres always been about 10 other trucks and guys with me to help keep the yotes in the section. and on average we take out about 125 -150 yotes a year out off the 30 or more sections we hunt. Numbers are still increasing and more and more people call wanting us to come kill some of there yotes. AND yet there is always a couple odd people that say what we are doing is cruel and it elimniates us from getting a couple miles from them. We have one old old lady accuses us of our hounds killing her husband from all the stress we put on him because our hounds ran across there land.????? :? :?
Ive ran into them couple times coonhunting nothing serious ive had dogs ran back out to me on numerous occations and sum roughed up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

about 6 yrs ago my uncle had 3 walkers he was huntin and 2 yotes came along and tried to woop his 3 hounds, he said his dogs killed both of the yotes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:00 pm 
IP:
first of all i would shoot them . i was havin a real problem with coyotes but i got one of them tracker lights and put on my dog collar and they have not came in on my dogs since it was a good investment

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

just started coonhunting so havent had it happen to me thier but have seen them come into a hog bay they sure bay a hog funny but bayed right beside my cur dogs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

happens to me all the time. coyotes seem to love the sound of a hound. I shoot at em all the time. One time I had a trashy dog when the coyotes got close he chased em off. they went about a mile or so and four or five coyotes turned on him and tore him up pretty good. I herd the whole thing not fun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:39 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

all i can say about coyotes is the hides look good on my couch, other than that i have no use for them pet killin,hound killin, deer running,fawn killing, egg stealing, pheasant murdering,turkey poaching, rabbitt exterminating, rotten vermin of the nite. im all for live and let live but you'll never kill them all BUT WE SURE CAN TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

WAYNE SPRATLEY
ASHLEY SPRATLEY
Greene, NY 13778
607-843-7356
607-316-3737
607-316-4078

spratleyswindyhillkennels@yahoo.com

KEEP' EM TREE' D
THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET THE MORE I LIKE MY DOGS!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Some reading for anybody wondering why the Eastern Coyotes are bigger, more aggresive & have the pack mentality!!!

http://blog.masslive.com/breakingnews/2 ... es_of.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:31 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I always have yotes coming in :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I deploy Ruby II, yotes go away.

Take the next generation hound hunting they are our future. hound hunting since 1973

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

was hunting my redbone bitch and my buddies big redbone male, they treed yotes came in and strted running her then he started runnig them 6 miles later they came across the road and we got em in the truck and the 5 of them yotes came running onto the road, thank god i keep a shotgun in the truck cause three of 'rm never made it another step. KILL EM ALL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We got alot of them around here and some are big, we find that if they show up just firing a clip worth at them will solve the problem. Their smart once they know you`ll shoot them they stay away. I also am careful about where I run pups to avoid any problems that could set them back.

Post subject: Coyote Problem
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I was walking my 3 dogs, Basset, jack russel and BT 15 mo female pup this morning around 6 am in the woods to my coon feeder and noticed a brown dog running up to us from behind. My BT female pup started running towards it about the time I realized it was a very large coyote! Coyote was the size of a german shepard. She got about 5 yards from it before I could call her off, I ran and yelled at it and coyote just stood its ground and started howling. I called my dogs and headed for the road behind me. It followed us about 40 yards behind, howling every few minutes. I had no weapon so I pulled up an iron steak by the road and headed back to the coyote. My car was on the other side of the Yote. I could get about 20 yards from it and it would move. My dogs thought it was another dog to play with and I kept calling them off. My BT got within 10 feet and squared off with it. She did not know what to do so I finally called her off. She would tangle in a heartbeat if I let her but did not want her to start running Coyotes. I made my way back to the car and it ran in some brush. What would you folks have done?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next