CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: making coon feeders
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've never had a feeder before, I'm curious why some guys say dry corn and some say add water? Any idea why?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:06 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

your welcome mr.wish. ballingbluetick soured corn smells pretty strong and i figure the stronger the smell the better chance for a coon to find it. ive never had deer or squirrels mess with soured corn,but dry corn they will.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Get an old tire still mounted on the rim. Take a 2 inch hole saw and drill holes about 8 inches apart. And lay it on the ground where you want it. Fill it with sour corn and grape koolaid. All that can eat out of it is coons and squirrels. Possums can't because they can't dip the corn out. I have set a game camera out an trust me I've had everything from deer hogs and possums try but no luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:02 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I like the tire feeder, that's what I've used in the past

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
mr.dswish ive used peanutbutter in jars before and the coons will love it.what i did was take the lid off the jar and heat the tip of nails up with a propane torch and push the nail thru lid starting on the inside pushing it to the outside.then just nail the lid to a tree and screw the jar on the lid and cut a hole in the bottom of the jar so the coons can reach in there and get them a bite lol.the reason i heated the nails up was cause the plactic lid would split if i tried driveing the nails when the nails wasnt hot.the biggest problem with peanut butter is sometimes the coon can eat a whole jar in one night.coons love soured corn as good as anything, you can put the corn in a tire and pour water in it and it will sour in a couple days with this heat and the coons will come near and far to get it.you can also tell if a coon has been at the tire lately,when he reaches in to get the corn his paws will be wet and he will leave little wet tracks all over the tire.lol

I have mostly used buckets with metal nipples because squirrels knawed the PVC nipples off. Also don't mix corn and cheap dog feed because the coons will scratch out all the corn getting at the dogfeed. Last yaer when mama was sick I messed with buckets for something to do at night if she was sleeping. I put a jar of stale peanut butter with out the lid in the bucket. My bucket is haywired though the handle to a sappling and the coon shake that bucket all around getting at the last bit of dog feed . In fact I could not afford to fill the buckets up and let the coons have at it so I would just put a quart of dogfeed in every day. This year, a month ago, I putt some feed in the bucket and noticed that they had rolled all the label off the glass peanut butter jar. I left that jar in there and put two more glass Jars of stale peanutbutter in there. My bucket is about a hundred yards behind the house. I could sit on the back steps and hear those jars clinking and know the coons were there. My dogs are 100 feet behind the house and only two hundred feet from the feeder. I don't even have to listen now, the dogs hear that comotion of jars in the bucket clanking and set up a fuss while I sit on the computer LOL I give it awhile and turn out. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I have not tried tires though I can see how bears or hogs could not hurt them. I know a good bit about corn mash and I can recon you know how I know. Corn in a running ditch won't sour good. Corn in a 5 gal bucket the coons turn over too easy. I have put corn in a #2 washtub and koolaide and it did good for awhile. I have also put corn in bog holes in woods roads that hold water a long time after the swamp has dried back up. The problem got that after a time the washtub and the bogholes got deer to raiding them. Yes, deer will stick their heads underwater to eat. I guess same as a moose.

The best looking coonfeeder I saw was an old widow who liked to feed coons to watch out of her kitchen window. Her yard was to be natural looking and she would not have had a tire or 5 gallon bucket out there because it would have reminded her to much of David Allen Coe songs I recon. Anyway she had her man got out to the deck where they were cutting timber off her place and had him fetch her back some hollow butt cuts. All it took was him boreing a 1&1/2 inch brace and bit hole, set it on plywood not as big as the bottom , a few slabs of bark on top and wallah , something looked like a natural stump in her back yard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:43 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ive never thought about hollow logs.ive used hollow logs for traps and to drip lye but never a feeder. we dont have bear around here so ive never had them mess with my buckets and since i use dog feed in them, the squirrels dont bother them that i can tell.when i make a feeder bucket,i take a 2 inch holesaw and drill a hole about a inch or 2 from the bottom.then i cut a piece about 3 inches long of 1 in a half pvc pipe, then i get a inch in a half pvc coupling and cut 2 pieces about one eighth wide with a hacksaw. put the pipe thru the hole and leave about a inch in a half sticking out,theni use pvs glue to glue the couplings on the pipe,one from the inside and one on the outside,push them up as tight as you can get it.ive got some buckets that i forgot about and find them 5 years later and there still in good shape lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:41 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
ive never thought about hollow logs.ive used hollow logs for traps and to drip lye but never a feeder. we dont have bear around here so ive never had them mess with my buckets and since i use dog feed in them, the squirrels dont bother them that i can tell.when i make a feeder bucket,i take a 2 inch holesaw and drill a hole about a inch or 2 from the bottom.then i cut a piece about 3 inches long of 1 in a half pvc pipe, then i get a inch in a half pvc coupling and cut 2 pieces about one eighth wide with a hacksaw. put the pipe thru the hole and leave about a inch in a half sticking out,theni use pvs glue to glue the couplings on the pipe,one from the inside and one on the outside,push them up as tight as you can get it.ive got some buckets that i forgot about and find them 5 years later and there still in good shape lol.

I say its squirels but it might be woodsrats for all I know, but whatever it is, PVC nipples gets chewed up. And when they chew to the nipple. Then they start upon the plastic bucket. LOL leave a size of a hole I could stick a softball in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:26 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ive had squirrels chew the nipple plum off the bucket,but its usually when theirs corn in the bucket.ive never had squirrels mess with soured corn before,just coons and grinners.i use to go to the dumpsters at bi lo and get a truck load of thrown away food,i would put it out in the woods.that was the best stuff ive ever seen to draw coons in.you hear about how clean coons are? they aint much difference between them and possums,they will eat almost anything that want eat them first.lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:36 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
ive had squirrels chew the nipple plum off the bucket,but its usually when theirs corn in the bucket.ive never had squirrels mess with soured corn before,just coons and grinners.i use to go to the dumpsters at bi lo and get a truck load of thrown away food,i would put it out in the woods.that was the best stuff ive ever seen to draw coons in.you hear about how clean coons are? they aint much difference between them and possums,they will eat almost anything that want eat them first.lol

Yep. I used to think highly of the American Bald Eagle when we didn't have any. Now they are just a bald headed buzzerd.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:16 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lol ben franklin might have been right when he suggest the turkey should be the american symbol.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have seen some people use old tires still on the rim and cut 4 or 5 holes in the tread area and lay them right on the ground. They put dog food in em so the deer wont mess with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:57 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i knew a guy from mississippi that used the tires with rims on them, he cut 4 or 5 holes in the tire and filled it up with corn then he would pour water in the tire so the corn would sour. he said he would space the tires out about half a mile on side of the road,and he would drive down the road and which ever tire had wet coon tracks on the tire he would turn loose the dogs.lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:54 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i know im a little late but I was wondering if the coons will find the dog food quick or does it take a week or so. and whats the best feeder to use if you don't want someone to find it? Just put corn in a water hole or what?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've poured corn down a stream bout a ft wide pretty shallow. It worked but trail camera got pics of squirrel and chipmunks going to town on it. Same with tire. I've camo painted buckets and pit them in spots hard to see like inside thicket undergrowth. Thing is you gotta climb in that junk to fill it. I also noticed since our coyote pop as increased drastically they have also found the soured corn and seem ti check it for small game to eat not so much to eat the corn. Coyotes have also carried off my buckets full of bread cause I didn't have them properly secured.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app