CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How do yall choose???
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

how do yall normally choose a puppy when you decide to pick one? starting from age 6 weeks old and up.

what is some things you look for in a pup?

can you train any of them or is it a hit and miss type thing?

was just setting here thinking about it because i ain't sold all my pups yet and thought i had one picked out, but i like a couple others also...so just wondering what everyone else looks for when getting a pup.

Kevin

'PR' Allen's Shaker Creek Luke

'PR' Allen's Ragin' Roxie

'PR' Allen's Always Curious Clover

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:33 am 
IP:
That is probably one of the big questions in the dog world. Everyone is probably different. I have been in the dog world for a long time and have picked hundreds of puppy's of the various breeds over the years. It is hard to say that there is a certain way to pick a pup that works every time. I try to pick the most outgoing, curious energetic pup but I have seen the seemingly lazy more kiced back pups come on strong and make great dogs. The one thing I always avoid is the shy ones. I just can't bring myself to pick a shy puppy. Other than that you will probably do pretty good just puttin all of them in a box, shuttin your eyes and grabbin one. It is a crap shoot over all.

Post subject: Puppy Pick
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:22 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Man is it HARD! When I picked my German Shep. MANY moons ago I was able to do it in person. I was fortunate to be friends with the breeder who KNEW GSDs and get a Co Pick. I picked the boldest M and boldest F and decided to go with the Female letting the breeder keep the breeding rights to her. It was a GOOD choice and she lived 13 years and stayed sound! Ironically I went for a visit when the pups were a few mos old and One truely ugly longhaired girl was left and I took her home with me. She and her sister both were put to sleep the same day. Healthy till the very end! Go figure. the leftover and the pick.
NOW, I just had to do the HARDEST thing ever. I was getting a Bluetick from WI to co own with a partner in WI. The litter was sold early and... at 11 days I HAD to make my pick of females so the others could get their picks in! I think in that case you might as well pick eeniemeenieminiemo! The first Female to catch my eye also caught my husband and oldest son... so we picked her. Hopefully because the litter is very well bred my co owner will be able to turn her into a good dual purpose coonhound.. we shall see.
I would MUCH prefer to pick in person. I look over the conformation from the beginning. I like a Good expression, I want a VERY good shoulder, good deep Wide chest and good strong angles to the hind end. At 11 days they aren't even standing!LOL... so it's a color game...Unless they are B and T or Redbones! LOL. I don't know enough about actual coonhunting training to know what to look for beyond soundness for their given work. Speaking of which VOICE is SO important... a GOOD houndie head, a thicker throat and neck SHOULD help to give a BIGGER voice. I wouldn't choose the one with a greyhound or Dobie type head.
I agreee the shy ones can be Difficult...although some people specialize in making those the best!
It's all a guessing game in the long run! Sometimes the ugliest strangest one as a pup ends up Awesome!
You have to like to look at your hounds...whether you like ugly, pretty. brown,black, spotted etc... can make a Personal choice difference. The Conformation should ALWAYS be as correct as possible. (and I DO NOT MEAN little itsy bitsy cat feet.... a coonhound should have nice Tight HOUND feet...LOL)
At six weeks and beyond take a Good look at your pups from EVery angle. Look for a Good sloping shoulder and strong hind end. Then choose a personality that YOU like.... The type of hound YOU will like to train. Then hope for the best!
Goodluck and HappyHunting! Post pix of the pups for US to look at too if you can! :D
Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:04 pm 
IP:
don't choose any of them just pick male or female and whichever is left seems if I try to pick one it is the wrong one have had and seen by many luck with just keeping the one that is left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:09 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Like everyone else said... the energetic outgoing pup....
If I have a little time, I will watch them playing and snooping around... and look for a pup that is interested in exploring and seems to have a little confidence in himself.. when they arent paying attention, bang on a pan just once and watch to see what they do.. then I sit down and see which one comes to me, pick it up and love it for a minute and see if it struggles or is trusting while i hold it... if I see one that is timid or afraid, i try to stay away from that one... probably the only pup i would actually rule out of a litter is the one or ones, that are very timid and want to hide or stay in the kenel.. it seems that the outgoing ones are easier to work with. A timid pup can be ruined pretty fast.. all it takes is one inconsistant lesson or a heavy hand in correcting him/her, to set a timid pup back and create a lot more work for yourself.... I will also state, I have only picked ONE hound pup, but i have picked, litterally dozens of other breeds, mostly bird dogs.... so take it for what its worth, and I hope your choice works out for the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:23 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm currently in the same situation. Boy is it hard. This will be my 4th hound I've had and the 3rd I've picked from a litter. I've had good luck, like everyone else has already stated, going for the more energetic and outgoing pups. It may not be that one stands head and shoulders above the rest, as I have probably 4 right now that are all about equal and I would love to have anyone of them. Having the litters we have an advantage. We get to watch these pups every day and see how they progress as they grow up. If one isn't head and shoulders above the rest, then it comes down to picking a sex and a color that you like.

Brunner's Baxter Brook Casper

Post subject: pup question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a 17 mo old walker male that has sired a litter. The litter is 3 males and 5 females. I am going to get a male for the stud fee. Never chose a new pup, any ideas what to look for in the three males at 7 weeks? I don't comp hunt. i hide hunt. the father is an awesome hide dog hopefully the pups will be too. Any ideas will be appreciated. I'm not to worried about looks and conformation I'm more concerned for hunting traits. thanks...

Post subject: Re: pup question
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Close your eyes and pick. At 7 weeks there is no sure way to know how they will turn out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:11 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yea like most of the others said pick the energetic pup.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:30 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

take a real sticky christmas bow and drop it in the litter of puppies who ever it sticks to wins. I got the runt and ugliest pup out of this litter of puppies it was a 3month leftover and now its grown into its once enormous over sized head and is a healthy good lookin 60lb+ F walker. you never no what they turn out to be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:04 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I let my wife and kids pick them, makes them feel part of the action and they seem to pick good ones :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i try to stay away from shy pups, but it really is just a crap shoot, just close your eyes and grab one, ive heard pick one with a black roof of the mouth it will be a tree dog. just a myth, i guess i look for a freindly pup with good looks if im goin to feed it i like a nice lookin hound

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If I like the look of one that is what I take. I got a pup that was 6 months old it was the only one he had left. He is very shy but after about a week of good treatment he warmed up to me. He is 13 months old now, still shy around other people and will not fight another dog. But when its dark the bull sh!! stops and he is 100% coon dog. He will run and tree himself or with other dogs. He is all cut up from running through fences and does not give up. I don't think it really matters just take the one you like and give it a try.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:27 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I guess I've been lucky so far- every time I've gone puppy shopping, one always seems to jump out at me from the others. That doesn't mean I whip out the cash then and there, I still look around and mull it over a day or two. I've also never said I want a specific breed and I don't just hop over to whomever's house has had a litter of pups. I only deal with people I know and know their dogs and have seen what the specific crosses have produced before. It's every bit as important to know as much about the breeder as you can as the pup itself. I won't be pushed into a certain pup, and and I've even been to look at a pup before when the bred female was running around loose along with 6 or 8 different kinds of dog in the yard. There is no way that guy could know for sure that what he's selling is even pure hound, much less one particular breed. Even with all this, not every pup turns out, but I do like to stack the deck as much in my favor as possible before a deal is ever struck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

best thing to do is trust your instinct