CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Asking permission
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:20 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How would you go about asking permission to coon hunt on someones property? :?: What kind of things would you need to say and tell them that you will do? do you need to have written permission?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:55 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.coondawgs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23366

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks buckshot, If you are able to get permission, would that also include you being able to go over there during the day with a pup to walk him,get him used to the woods and everything, and to do training sessions? Do any of you call the land owners house before you go over to see if its a good time for them??

Last edited by Alex Schaefer on Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:42 pm 
IP:
yes ask permission in the daytime and be very polite tell the land owner youll help with fixin fence anyhtin to help him keep his land nice ask about the daytime walks and everythin and be sure if the land owner lets ya hunt his propety to pick up every piece of trash you might leave and pick up excess that ya didnt and always call to make sure its a good time :wink: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:19 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Alex Schaefer wrote:
would that also include you being able to go over there during the day with a pup to walk him,get him used to the woods and everything, and to do training sessions?

I just always ask for huntin' permission first. If they dont give me pemission I then ask for permission to coon hunt. Most land owners (especially farmers) are eager to allow coonhuntin' due to high population of coon and less coon hunters.

Post subject: Getting Permission
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:42 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm looking to get permission to run my digs on, but havnt really gone around and asked people before. Most of the land I hunt now was just offered to me to hunt. Are there any things that can give you an edge when you ask? And how do some of you start your convos with the land owner? And have you found it hard to get permission to hunt raccoons? To me it seems like it would be easier then get land to hunt deer.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Post subject: Re: Getting Permission
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

MIhunter12 wrote:
I'm looking to get permission to run my digs on, but havnt really gone around and asked people before. Most of the land I hunt now was just offered to me to hunt. Are there any things that can give you an edge when you ask? And how do some of you start your convos with the land owner? And have you found it hard to get permission to hunt raccoons? To me it seems like it would be easier then get land to hunt deer.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

For certain you need to ask but how? I recently called a land owner rather than cold-calling visit to his house and got permission - but is that right? Go in person or call? One guy i can't find a number for but know where he lives. Should i drop by or ask his wife on facebook for his number?

Post subject: Re: Asking permission
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Always ask in person if at all possible. I like to go around right when it starts to get nice in the spring. Drive around in the afternoon and most farmers will be out working on equipment in the barn. This is a great time to catch them when they're not too busy yet. Always be clean and presentable and polite. Most won't hesitate if they know they won't be liable if you get hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My biggest problem in finding ground to hunt is the deer hunters think I'm gona drive the deer out of there property but iv seen my old dog tuck tail n run back to me when she smelled a deer track cause I think the guy I got her from whooped her preety good for running deer I haven't figured out how to convence em coon hunting at night will not hurt there deer hunting months from now

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:41 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Find a nice girl who likes to hunt to go with when you to ask permission. People have a hard time saying no to them, especially if they are friendly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

bluwalker, i think that is ingenious. thanks. Also, i'm thinkin' we might go by after church on Sunday morning. We'll be dressed well and driving our best veheicle. Air of respectability i hope.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

bluwalker has it right!!!! my buddy uses his girlfriend all the time to get permission to deer hunt. It works

Post subject: getting new land to hunt
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i was wondering how you guys ask to hunt on someones land? do you do it during the summer too? what do you say when they ask about the season? im new to asking landowners to hunt on their land because ive only hunted public land but I need some places to hunt during the summer for my young dog and ive read on here coon move a lot more and the kitten don't run as far during the summer. so exactly how do you opproach someone about hunting their land? thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The last fella I asked to hunt his property had a good chunk butted up to public land an he said he had 75 chicken 10 Turkey n 9 alpaca "prize winning" he was sure to get that in there too and he told me he shot 8 coon last fall that was gettin in to his coop. Anyways I always first introduce my self with a hand shake as well as my dog. Then let them no I'm interested hunting their property and what for an usually how often I plan to hunt. If it's a no then it's have a good day an I'm gone if it's a yes, another hand shake a thanks and offer any help I could

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

Post subject: Hunting Permission Slips
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:31 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've gotten some requests for a blank copy of the permission slips I use for hunting. So here you go (below). Not everyone will sign one for you. I've had plenty of farmers give me permission but not want to sign a form. They feel it's easier to deny you had permission if you get hurt out there. Despite the law protecting them from you suing them unless they are blatantly negligent. They feel its better for them. And let me tell you its not you they're afraid of suing them. It's your insurance company. A few years ago I fell and got hurt badly. The insurance company contacted me wanting to know who owned the land so they could recover their costs from the persons home owners insurance. I sent them the permission slip said I was hunting and they couldn't sue. They came back to me two more times. Each time I sent them a copy of the permission slip and they went away. The land owner never even knew about it. So these work!!!

I've also had run ins with people that think they own the land and try to kick me off. I pull out my slip and say I have permission so leave me alone. They get mad but they know they can't do a thing about it. They weren't going to be my friend anyway. It also works if you get stopped by the DEC or a cop. So they don't have to wake the farmer up. Just an all round good thing to have.

They're pretty generic but they have all the right wording. Some people also like it because if they have to they can get a hold of you. They keep half and you keep half. I keep a folder right in the truck with all my forms and a few blank ones. Along with copies of the tax map for that area. Happy Hunting!!!

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/03/11/landownersfo...

Profile  WWW