CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: clean water buckets
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

have any of you ever heard of putting a couple of caps full of clorox in your water buckets to help prevent nasty algae will it harm the dogs :?:

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:29 pm 
IP:
Being married to retired water plant operater I feel I can safely advise against putting clorox in the water bowls to prevent algae. Now people can use it to santitize water for drinking but it must sit up so the cholrine has time to disapate before consuming.
You'll be better off taking a scrub brush and cleaning the bowls out real good every few days and give fresh water everyday(not pouring fresh into old) Consuming cholrine in pure form can have toxic side effects in the long term.

Post subject: ???????
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:43 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ya i b think that would be harmful to your dog but i not sure i know it aint somthing i would try

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:24 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I have the perfect cure for nasty water buckets.....I clean them :lol: :wink: !!! I bought a tolet brush and every other day, or sooner if needed, I scrub them, dump them, and fill them back up. Work like magic. I dont like to do any thing to my dogs that I wouldn't do to myself. I wouldn't drink a glass of water with a cap full of bleach in it. I wouldn't think that bleach is real good for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:28 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I use a automatic watering system.I did the water bucket thing for a long time before I switched & I'll never go back to the buckets.But I don't have to deal with the freezing temps some of you folks have to deal with(Busted water lines).Southeast Louisiana cool in the winter & HOT!!!! the rest of the year. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:39 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Clean and sterilized are 2 different things. You can sterilize your buckets with bleach but they could still be dirty. You can sterilize a dog poo but it will still be a dog poo. Clean the buckets every day. If you want to, use clorox but rinse it out before you fill the bucket with water for the dog. If you do it that way you will kill the algae that may have started to grow already and make it more difficult for algae to get a foot hold in the bucket unless you let it stay dirty for more than a day or 2. Algae can grow fast. Bleach can be used to sterilize water for people in an emergency to kill bacteria but it is only a couple of drops per gallon that you use and it doesn't taste good at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:21 am 
IP:
Dump out the old and add only fresh. I refresh the water bowls twice daily. I don't use very big water bowls either, too much standing and wasted water. I dump what little excess water rinse a little and refill. I have not had algae problems sense I started doing it that way. I found that too much standing water in too large of a bowl causes too much slime and junk in the bowl. Good quality stainless steele bowls help also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i would say just give them fresh water 1-2 times a day

X JR.'S SILVER DOLLAR CRACKER x
COMAS HARDWOOD BETTY

Post subject: clean buckets
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thats is the best way is to keep giving fresh water

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:03 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You should give fresh water every day or twice a day in warm weather that helps alot.The bowl should hold 1-2 gal for a coonhound..I beach bowls every week and have extra bowls to use if I need them.I have buddys that use 5 gal buckets ....The seam to always need cleaned....I think it could be because they just add to the water every day and dont dump out the old water....One of the best pups I ever owned. I bought him from a guy that every dog he owned. There Water was dark green..He never cleaned the bowls.....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:23 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Call me old fashioned, but if you don't have the time or energy to FEED and WATER your dog, how are you gonna hunt him? I mean, what does it take, 2 minutes to clean out a water bucket and fill it back up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:29 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Take a little bit of time and just scrub them down.I know I wouldn't drink clorox water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You can use regular 5% chlorine bleach for emergency water sterilization. The EPA recommends that you use about two drops of bleach per quart of water. The exact amount varies based on certain conditions such as water chemistry, temperature, contact time, etc. You can read more about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite

That info aside, you have to remember that your tap water most likely already has chlorine in it (unless you're on well water). Adding small amounts of bleach to chlorinated water could increase the chlorine level to a point that would be harmful to your dogs over a period of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

skidmark wrote:
I have the perfect cure for nasty water buckets.....I clean them :lol: :wink: !!! I bought a tolet brush and every other day, or sooner if needed, I scrub them, dump them, and fill them back up. Works like magic.

imagine that... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:57 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

And we always add a tiny bit of bleach to our chicken water, since we were told to and it keeps the bacteria down...as well as Daily cleaning and changing of course. Our hounds live inside and get water buckets changed 2x daily inside and scrubbed once. OUTSIDE they get a tiny bit of bleach... because of the wild birds that use their water too! I haven't had a problem with a LITTLE bit of bleach. Except the time I SPILLED it on my FAVORITE jeans! :( Most imprtantly change daily and keep buckets clean! AND always make sure they have TOO much water! Dehydrated dogs cannot perform up to par....and of course it's unhealthy!
And remember... when you DUMP your water out to give the dogs (and especially the rotten chickens) new water... they will drink the dirty water from the ground.... just to bug you ;) Horses do that too....
Heather William

Profile  WWW