CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:18 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

yea i would say clorox is harmful. just give them water alot. this is just me but it seems that black buckets get a whole lot less algie then white ones do.

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:23 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I always clean out their dishes, but I just put a swimming pool in my mutt's kennel, and I'll be adding a little clorox to that once in a while. I know she'll drink from it so I have to be careful not to add too much. I'm on a well so there is no chlorine in the water unless I add it.

Another possibility would be to add a little Bromine... that's what we use in the jacuzzi. Does anybody know whether bromine would hurt a dog? Which would be safer?

Ok, you can all laugh at me now for putting a swimming pool in my mutt's kennel. But she loves to play in the water, and since the shade tree that was over the kennel fell down this winter, their whole dog run is in full sun all afternoon. I didn't think a $6 plastic pool was being too indulgent. Is it?

-Elizabeth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:44 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

We used to use a wading pool for our labs. Once in a while we'd toss a few bait fish in there. One dog used to love trying to catch them and eat them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:04 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Oh, what a great idea!!! I'll have to add a few fish to her pool. She would LOVE that! And they'd probably be good for her coat... her skin's been looking rather off lately. We're going to switch her food, too.

I'm kind of hoping that watching her play in her pool will get the bluetick interested in being in the water. He HATES water right now. He will only cross it very reluctantly if he's on a hot track. And trying to give him a bath... wow. I haven't even attempted it in over a year, the last time was so traumatic (for me!).

-Elizabeth

Post subject: GOOD IDEA!
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:20 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The fish! Our Bluetick will drink out of their pool but wont go in. The greyhound gets in and lies down after every run. The B and T MAY try to go in when it warms up....but I bet fish would get the Bluetick in! NOW...where to find anything but Goldfish or Koi around our area???? I think it will be a BLAST to see our dumb B and T try to hunt fish!!! :) Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:41 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Maybe find a place that sells fish like you'd use to stock your pond for fishing? I don't know, I'm going to have to ask around here.

What kinds of fish are safe or should be avoided? I understand that the trout and salmon in my neck of the woods can carry the bacteria that causes salmon poisoning in dogs. Is that a problem with a fresh-caught fish, or is it more of something that grows after the fish is dead? Anybody know?

Certainly feeder goldfish are easy to find... are they safe?

-Elizabeth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:26 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

We found out about our dog loving to go fishing when we used her wading pool to temporarily keep a few feeder goldfish and she didn't have any problems with them. We started putting baitfish in there because it didn't seem right to use goldfish on purpose. Around here fishing is big business and every town has a bait & tackle shop or two selling minnows. Those were what we used for the dog. Certain kinds - bass, trout, etc. are protected but the brackish and salt water minnows used as bait are not. Check around for a bait shop nearby if you don't want to use goldfish. It is pretty funny to watch when the dog learns that if it holds its breath it can follow the fish by sight with its head under water :D :D :D They really enjoyed it. Maybe I'll set up a small pool again this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:29 am 
IP:
just wash out your bucket out after doing this

Post subject: Fish in the pool....
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:32 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Just bought a few little feeder/bait fish.... they are now Living in the wading pool....The BlueTick stared at them... and drank alot. The B and T was fascinated but wouldn't go near the water ;) I can't wait to see when the geyhound hops in to cool off after his run....and one of them TOUCHES his leg! Should be funny. I'm hoping that if the dogs don't eat them this will be the solution to keeping the wding pool cleaner. We'll see?
happyHunting, Heather William

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:28 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Never heard of this.

Huh she is treed again what a surprise.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:26 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Guess What?! I AM a NORTHERNER.... I just THINK I am a Southerner! WHen you Buy ittle fishies to put in your dogs wading pool.... It is PROBABLY very humane to wait until Sumer, when the water temps are LIVABLE!
BIG OOPS! We still have a few living...the Chickens love the little frozen nearly dead ones.... I THOUGHT of putting the living in the Heated Chicken water for the night but.... I decided I didn't REALLY want to drown a chicken... I feel like SUCH AN A$$!
You have to understand... one of my jobs was...You'r all gonna die laughing..... I took care of my fathers fish. We Raised Koi (Japanese colored carp).... my dad had 75 thousand gllons of ponds and tanks. We had imprted some special fish from Japan and my job was to care for them, hand breeed the, (don't ask), cull the babies and pick the winners...but most importanlty keep them..ALIVE... I DO know how to do this, but now that I live with headinjury... I don't THINK before I act! OOPS! BTW... just a tiny brag here- After I got to cull the babies I could then pick out the VERY SPECIAL ones... I had a great eye.... we SOLD some BACK to Japan!!! It was a big deal. However, on the shipment to Japan, Flying Tigers messed up and we lost about 100 thousand dollars worth of UNINSURED fish... my dad QUIT! Just kept enough for the Garden ponds. My Mum actually keeps just a few in the pnds to keep them running... or they have to be filled in. They are large swimming pool sized and she loves her Japanese garden... at 87, she still does MOST of her own pruning!!! She is a HOT TICKET!!!!
SO, I will NOT keep you ll up to date on the remaining 12 or do bait fish... it'll just be too sad! :) AND...None of the hounds even cared remotely about hunting the fish...Wyatt has his Bees and Webster his birds. COONHOUNDS? I think not!
Have great night everyone! Happy Hunting, Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: In summer
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:49 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

my favorite swimming hole is also a famous trout pool. There are huge brown trout visible near the bottom, and all sorts of stocked fingerlings in the sunny shallows. When I sit on a rock on the sides, the fingerlings will investigate my legs. My Clamour dog does not care to swim unless he has to on a trail, but he doesn't mind wading. He will stand on the rock I sit on and ignore the fingerlings as if they were insects.
Don't know what kind of place you live, Heather, but if there's a city with a Chinatown nearby, there's all sorts of critters for sale that might be fun for your hounds. I'm thinking turtles might be hardy enough, or some of the big carp they keep in tanks.
When I was a kid, we spent our summers on an island off the coast of Maine. We had llewellyn setters. My mother used to let them chase the lobsters around before we ate them. Inevitably, one or two would get away and hide. I would come downstairs and find our female, Dolly, barking at a chair or the footed bathtub and find an unhappy lobster. We had a policy of returning the runaways to the ocean.
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:04 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Oh Heather that's such a shame! Some of the fancy strains of goldfish & koi took more than one person's lifetime to develop. Actually breeding some that are of a quality for sale back to Japan is quite an accomplishment. Fish really will not help the cleanliness of your dog's water buckets. If anything they make them a bit dirtier (a lot dirtier if they die). Maybe chasing fish is just a thing labs like to do. I guess I'll find out when the weather warms up.

Post subject: I felt like a MORON!
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:42 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

My mother actually still has a couple of the Koi we bred...they live FOREVER! I got to see some OLD ones that came to the US for a display at the Aquarium in Boston, they are so cool, tame as can be. NOTHING compares to a BIG Koi eating out of your hand and sucking on your fingers! Awesome fish. Of course I am Now known as the FISH KILLER.... our youngest son, Dylan, who owns the B and T Webster..... looked SO sad.... I now feel like a Shmuck! I figure at some point this year Jack and Quack the Mallards will come and help keep the wading pool "clean" ;) The waters get scrubbed daily, the pool does not.... it's not worth it, as SOON as we clean it Wyatt the bluetick pees over the edge into it....then the greyhound hops in covered with sand (they get turned out in my former sand riding ring).....
BTW... GOLDFISH... for a short time we did raise the "fancy" goldfish, with the strange mutations... gosh they are Gross and ugly! What people find Beautiful! YUCK! I really enjoyed the Koi. They are a fascinting breed and the hand breeding and selection for color patterns is HARD. We were THRILLED to see some make it back to Japan! It was cool, my dad got to hobknob with Mayors and heads of Japan and such.... I was busy showing horses and bowed out of going to Japan. My parents went aLOT, y father was a surgeon and that is how he first went to Japan and was introduced to Koi.
Good greif I'm on a morning coffee babble! SORRY! :) Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: just a thought
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:50 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I reckon ya'll didnot think about the fact that the water in your wading pool is not gonna have any oxygen in it after a few hours of sitting. reason ponds keep O2 in the water is that the alge and grass take in CO2 and give off O2. nothing in your wading pool to keep O2 in. fish take the O2 out from breathing and pooping whiuch takes O2 to decompose.