is where the red fern grows a good book
awsom 88%  88%  [ 169 ]
good 11%  11%  [ 21 ]
fair 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 191
 Post subject: where the red fern grows
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:49 pm 
IP:
where the red fern grows is the best book i ever read and this book got me into coon hunting what do yal thing about it.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:10 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Where the Red Fern Growns and Walk With Wick are both good books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:48 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Red Fern was a mandentory book to read in english class when i was in school it was about the only one that could make you cry like your own dog was the one that the old cat got .The Shootist is a good book too its the book of John Waynes last movie you should read it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:54 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i too loved the book and have read it several times. i'm looking forward to hunting the david crockett national forest in missouri. that's where the story was based.
you should also try, hound dog man. it's written by the same author as ol yellow. the author said that hound dog man was his favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:05 pm 
IP:
Thats a great story and the book is always better than the movie so no one try to cheat on those mandatory reads while in school! :D
Another good one that the Movies robbed is Old Yeller. He was really a Yellow Mt.Cur but Hollywood used a yellow lab to depict the character. So if you like Where the Fern Grows then Read Old Yeller ,but remember he was a coon dog and not a Lab!

Post subject: Red Fern
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:13 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I re-read the book as an adult a few years ago while in California helping the film crew do the remake movie of Where the Red Fern Grows. Animals International contracted me to bring Ingram's Rockin Red Ike and a female pup out of him to help them do the hunting scenes for the movie. They had wanted to lease my hounds for the work but I refused. Later on when they had trouble with the hunting scenes, they asked me to bring my dogs out and help them on the nite hunt, the ghost coon scenes, the lion scenes and a few others. You can read about that adventure on my web page:

http://www.ingramwildlife.com/redfern.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:23 pm 
IP:
Ike= That's too Cool! Those are some pretty dogs you got there..I can see why they wanted them in the movies! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:19 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Well I could not pass this up my wife would have been disappointed!!! LOL! :lol:
She says no one knows the movie/book like me :? :shock: as I have read it, seen it almost 1000 times. I would say I am a fanatic. :wink: For lack of a better term I LOVE IT. The lady at the movie store argued with me that there was not a part two to the movie however it felt real good to walk in there with the copy I bought of amazon.com. :P It is pretty good but you can tell Hollywood got a hold of it :roll: and spared a lot of expense, it could have been a lot better. :shock: Anyway I don't like the new version of part one that came out either I guess I just like the old ways. My little nephew is being made to read this book in school still today. It seems some good things are still lasting because it does teach good moral character if you pay attention "You got to meet GOD half way". :wink: Hard work always pays off in the end, and if someone "devils my dogs" :evil: we gonna go a round even if I have to "fight every kid in town". Just a few quotes from the movie.
Anyway if you have not seen it or read it don't cheat yourself, get it and one night when the wind is howling, the thunder is booming, lightning is cracking, and the rain is falling like a fat cow peeing on a flat rock :x (This is the only way I would not be hunting LOL :lol: ) put that movie in or pick up that book!! :wink:
Sorry to get long winded I did say I love this topic almost as much as I love to turn those hounds out! :D

PR VESTAL'S NITRO JACK (Gone But Not Forgotten)
MY SON MY PRIDE AND JOY!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i havn't read the book but i have watched the movie and it was the best ever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:56 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I read the book when I was still in mid school. My mom sent it to the boys for christmas this year and we have the movie. I think its great!!!!

Take the next generation hound hunting they are our future. hound hunting since 1973

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:22 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

old timey hunting stories accessible to kids, here's a few more I've enjoyed

The Voice of Bugle Ann by MacKinlay Kantor (old-time foxhunting in MO)
A Nose for Trouble by Jim Kjelgaard (big game hound and mantrailing--the hero is a game warden)
The Pond by Robert Murphy (coming of age story with coonhound in VA)

there are also a lot of good true stories available

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:26 am 
IP:
that is the only book i have read in my life besides some of walk with wick. it got me into coon hunting (my grandpa deserves a little bit of credit to) i even got two red bones and i made sure one was a male and one a female so i could name them old dan and little ann. i have all three movies and love all of them. i use to watch the first about 3 times a day before i got some hounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i hate to read but i liked to read where the Red Fern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My grandfather red that book to me a long time ago. It was his favorite and i never kniew why. At the the time I was only 4 or 5 so it really didnt matter. We never hunted in my family. I never started hunting till I was 18 and now at 22 nothing makes my day better than spending a night in the woods staing out quiet and then hearing my hound strike. I found out later that my grandfather used to coon hunt in his youth. He passed when i was 6 so i never got a chance to go with him but at least now I know why he loved that book so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Best darn book ever wrote! I read it about 10 times a year. The book is better than the movie.