CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tresspassing laws
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:36 pm 
IP:
if you turn loose on a property that you have permission to hunt and your dog goes on land that you dont have permission to hunt and you go ask the owner if you can get your dog and they tell you no can you call the cops and get permission from them to go get your dog? i have heard that landowners have to let you but i dont know for sure. just kind of wondering about it.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: re
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:47 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

in NC you can go get it without the cops

COPPERHEAD CREEK KENNELS

GRNITECH'CH'PR' SOGGY BOTTOM BEE BEE

DuaL GRAND STILLS STLYISH PANIC ATTACK

GRCH'NITECH'PR' YADKIN RIVER BLOSSOM

old sn was huntingwalkers09 for the information

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The best answer is call your State DNR and ask them what the retrieval law is. Every state is different, but I am sure this is a topic every game warden has encountered at some point in his/her career.

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:35 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

if it comes down to it, i will go get my dog whereever he is, no matter what the deal is

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yeah i just get the dog cause you cant tell them that you can hunt here but not here, they dont know wat tresspassing is

if you need me shoot me an email at boergoat@comcast.net

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I agree with THUNDERTHURSTON. Check the local laws, ask the local game warden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:00 pm 
IP:
if ya have to call the popo ive normally had great luck with folks but on occassion ive run into the butts when it comes down to it im not askin im tellin them im gonna go get my hounds if we need to get this worked out so be it :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:32 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i've gone onto other peoples property to get dogs, but I know the people, jsut dont have permission to hunt it, never had an encounter with a mean londowner.

Post subject: va
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:36 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I know in Virginia that you are allowed to reterive your dogs and return back to your truck and go on. I always ask for permission so that no one gets mad over the whole deal. Most people around where I hunt dont care to much unless its someone from the city who just moved here. They usually help us out the best they can in catching our dogs.

Post subject: laws vary considerably
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:45 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

and enforcement can be totally different even when the law is the same. Check with your local game warden to see what he's likely to do in a situation like that and to find out if there's anyone likely to shoot your dogs or where there are a lot of traps. I don't hunt anywhere near anyone that has shot a dog if I can avoid it.
And you don't want to stumble in on anyone guarding a plot of pot or a meth lab if you can help it! If they're guarding the property aggressively, there's something else they don't want outsiders to see, even if its just a drunken party. If your dog trespasses and someone's home, ask first as long as you don't have to wake someone up. Its just common sense. If the homeowner says NO, ask if they will retrieve the dog for you and explain that you will be forced to call the law if they won't cooperate. Most will, even if they're not friendly about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:43 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

In S.C., if you are tresspassing, you're tresspassing-no matter what reason you have.You're SUPPOSED to go to the land owner and get permission to retrieve your dog,but honestly,the easiest way is to get your dog without making a parade out of it, don't shoot the coon out, and go on your merry way.As in MOST of coonhunting, people that don't do it are better off not knowing anything at all.

My dog got on a man's land last year and I went to his door to get permission to get my dog.He said no,and called the cops on me for tresspassing- which I hadn't done-yet.When the cop got there the man said this, that, and the other about me being on his property and I WASN'T coonhunting, but trying to steal stuff, that he guessed he had a new dog and that he had a gun pointed at me out the window before I knocked on the door.The cop informed him that HE could go to jail for assault with a deadly weapon for ADMITTING to pointing a gun.Then I brought up the fact that if the cop would walk with me to the dog that was treeing, he would find MY name and phone # on his collar, so I guess if I WASN'T hunting and the dog was on his property, he must have stolen it.The cop agreed and asked the guy if the $218.00 fine I was looking at was a good trade for the assault and larceny charges HE was looking at.He suddenly became the nicest guy on Earth and said I could get my dog.

Post subject: sounds like
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:49 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Sounds to me like you got the better of that a$$hole, without even trying.

Post subject: I
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:55 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i would go get my dog wherever it is if it is treed in there back yard or not i will go get it i took a comp hunt one time behind my house got in behind this guys house and treed and he shot at us and you no what we did we went and got our dogs and left if my dog goes somewhere on private land i will get it, that is just what i would do

'PR' DUVALLS STAYPUT BONZEYE
Ethan Duvall
1-479-858-1967

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

people around me a pains i had one guy spot light me for about half a hour on land that he didnt even own i just layed down and worked my way to the creek bank i didnt want to get shot the next day i went and talked to him and it wasnt to kind of a conversation i was out once before and his dumb lab got loose and tried to fight my dogs but that was when i was trying to train them on a caged coon on land that my sisters boy friend owns lets just say this guy wont even let his dog out any more because he is worried it wont come back if im out huntin i also have another guy who has threatened to call the cops because i was shuttin a possume behind my house a 1130 at night and another time i had a skunk in the chicken shed with a pack of fire crakers and he cald my mom and wanted to know if he should call the cops my other negbor i could kill a coon right under his window at 2 in the morning and he wouldnt care he also feeds my dogs biskits all the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:39 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Why would you want a skunk in a shed with firecrackers? That just sounds like unnecessary cruelty to me (especially to the poor chickens).