CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Coyote problems?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Does anyone else have a problem with coyotes when you hunt? I started to notice that when our dogs would tree about the time we'd get to the tree the coyotes would be coming up close. When the get with in 20 yards or so my cur leaves the tree and he circles us in about a 10 or 15 foot circle. I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else.

Curs Rule

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33dv1i1&s=7

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

alot of yotes were i hunt, seem to keep there distance though.

http://fitzseglishcoonhounds.weebly.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:10 pm 
IP:
hey jason send some down south a little ways....i dont see near as many coyotes around anymore as i used to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:16 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i dont SEE a whole lot anymore down here, but here 'em all the time. i gotta disagree with ya redbone, i think if he keeps the yotes up there everything will be just fine. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:22 pm 
IP:
lol if i didnt love to coyote hunt as much as i do then i would agree with ya and im like you i here several of them at night but hardly ever see them or get them called in...the ones that do come in usually have mange around here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

yes lots of them, yotes have run my dogs off the tree and they have came in my yard need info on how to set a snare

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yotes are starting to get real bad here in south eastern oh,I was followed back from the tree the other night by two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:06 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I heard a bunch tonight and even saw a pup. I guess the best thing to do is to get coyote dogs or a good predator call and go to town on them.

Dylan Crabtree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:59 am 
IP:
we have a real problem here in central illinois with them but if they come within seeing range, my 308, i always keep in my trucks makes sure that dont happen again(22 also works well if im not by my truck)we have some people around here that also have running hounds we use to thin them out. as far as calling them in to shoot..... now thats a chalange if i ever saw one. jmo, but i feel they are the hardest animals to call in because of how warey they are.

do any of you know how to make and set snares for yotes???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:17 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

well when ya go coon huntin again ya should hall a .17 isted of a .22/ ya can still knock coon out and you can put the yotes down also!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:26 pm 
IP:
yep i would if i had a .17 but i dont. so i will stick with my 22.. cheaper shells also(at least around here) :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:26 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

a worried about the yotes, but I dont want them gettin our dogs. One of my friends from school lives across the road from where we hunt and they breed french bull dogs. SHe said the yotes have tried to get them before. All they have to do is say the word and i'll put my cur, and my land lords plott, and my buddies B&T on them damn yotes, and put them back in their places.

Post subject: yotes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:46 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

well placed 22 bullet will kill anything in the woods. With a yote unless he's got rabid he'll run at the sound of your 22. If ya hit em he'll have one bouncing around in him that will most likely kill him soon. Hit him right behind the ear he won't move again. If I can kill a black russian boar with a 22 I know you can kill a yote with one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yotes were reintroduced here in SC. since then they have overpopulated and have came in on us hunting a few times. seems like their getting braver everytime. more often now we have heard our dogs fighting the yotes at the tree. As a matter of fact just before season ended i turned loose by myself and going to the tree a pack of about 15 of 'em came in on me, but took off when i hit them with the light. what really bothers me is we usually take our kids with us. i would love to know how to hunt them but it's not to popular here i don't think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:53 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It is more of a problem in the spring where I live. Coyotes tend to be more aggresive and territorial right before they whelp their pup and for a few months afterwards. That is the reason they are coming into dogs on the tree, essientially they see it as your dog is invading their turf.

I had some coming into my dog about a month ago. I got there before they did and they never came all the way in. They just sat back about 60 yards and made all kinds of noise.