CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ~Pine Martins~
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:31 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

OK.. Dont laugh... but being from the heart of the Red River Valley in NWMN.. we dont have Pine martins in my area... Im just wondering if anybodys hounds gets after pine martins?.. I caught part of a documentary about them on TV last weekend.. Do your hounds ever tree them? They look like they could put up quite a fight... Thanks..

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:55 am 
IP:
I never even heard of one before. I thought you were talking about a bird at first! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:15 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

wats a pine martin

if you need me shoot me an email at boergoat@comcast.net

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: re
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:36 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i thought you were leaving the board????????????????????

COPPERHEAD CREEK KENNELS

GRNITECH'CH'PR' SOGGY BOTTOM BEE BEE

DuaL GRAND STILLS STLYISH PANIC ATTACK

GRCH'NITECH'PR' YADKIN RIVER BLOSSOM

old sn was huntingwalkers09 for the information

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:51 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you know that Pine Martens are in the mustelid or weasel-like mammal family?
Martens are related to mink, otters, badgers, wolverines, weasels, and skunks.

What do martens look like?
Pine martens are very agile and can climb high up in the tree tops. They are slender with a pointed face and a bushy tail. Their tail helps them balance in the trees. Male martens are larger than females. They are about the same length as a house cat. These cute animals are between 19-27 inches long including their tail which is from 5-9 inches long. They only weigh between 1-3 pounds. Pine martens are brown with paler underparts and dark brown legs. They have small rounded ears and sharp teeth for eating meat.

Where do martens live?
Martens prefer old coniferous forests in Northern climates. The Border Country is an ideal habitat for them. Martens live in most of Canada, the north western US, the Rockies, and New England. Martens like old growth forests best because there are plenty of dead trees to find food and shelter in. An old forest has a thick canopy that provides shade for the ground cover which stays dark and damp. This environment is ideal for small animals such as voles and squirrels.

What do Pine Martens like to eat?
Pine martens spend a lot of time searching the forest floor for rodents. Martens prefer to eat Red-backed voles. They will also eat other species of voles, mice, birds, flying squirrels, reptiles, and rabbits. Martens will eat honey, insects, conifer seeds, worms, eggs, and even berries.

How do Pine martens hunt?
Martens are fast, strong, and agile. They have lots of energy and leap from tree to tree zig zagging to find flying squirrels. They also forage along the ground poking their heads into crevices in rock piles, hollow logs and holes in search of prey. Sometimes they stalk their prey like a cat and other times they pounce at them from above.

Did you know that Pine Martens stay active all year round even in the winter?
Martens have special ways of keeping warm during the winter. They burrow into the snow which insulates them from the cold. Martens look for hollows in the snow around tree stumps and shrubs to find mice and other small mammals. They even have fur on the soles of their feet to keep them warm and to create a snowshoe effect when they walk!

Do Pine Martens live in groups?
No, martens prefer to live alone. When adult martens run into each other they will often growl and show their teeth. They live in ranges of between 5-15 square miles. When there are plenty of voles and mice available the martens only need a small range, but when food is scarce they must cover more territory.

When are young martens born?
Martens give birth to their young in March-April. They usually have litters of 2-5 young. The mother finds a suitable tree hollow or an abandoned den to raise her young in. The young martens nurse for the first 6 weeks of their lives.
Adult martens begin to mate when they are 1 or 2 years old. They mate in the middle of summer. The young are born 8 months later. It is quite unusual for an animal of this size to have such a long gestation period. This 8 month delay is important because it allows the young to be born during the spring when there is plenty of food and the weather conditions are favorable.

Did you know that martens have been trapped for years for their beautiful soft fur?
Pine martens almost became extinct due to the heavy amount of fur trapping in the 1700-1800s. The fur was traded to Europeans and was highly valued because of its warmth and its soft, luxurious feel. Trapping still goes on today in this country but with changing fashions and the increased awareness of the fur trade there is less demand for the marten fur. There are laws that protect the animals to prevent them from becoming extinct.

What are some other concerns facing the lives of pine martens?
Martens have very few enemies besides humans. Logging has had major effects on marten populations. Since the martens rely on old growth forests for food and shelter, clearing the forests leaves the animals hungry and homeless.
We are fortunate because here in the Border Country, because much of the forest is inaccessible for loggers and their trucks. Pine martens thrive here because of the large expanse of old growth trees and pristine wilderness.

What are some signs of marten activity?
Look for marten scat along fallen logs or rock piles. The droppings are about 5-6 inches long and may contain bits of nuts and berries. Their footprints are less than 2 inches wide and show 5 toe pads around a rounded heel pad.
You may be fortunate enough to see a marten jumping from tree to tree!

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:52 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Andrew.. I did leave the board.. and I got a PM welcoming me back because the person I was having a problem with is no longer here.. Thanks for noticing.. :wink:

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ok just wondering

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:03 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Thank you for the information Buckshot! Do you guys ever run into those critters while your out running your hounds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:32 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

They are around here but not common. They're very much like a big, stinky, mink. They run fast and can run pretty far as well as climb trees and swim. Luckily none of my dogs ever showed an interest in them. Most of the weasel family are very fast-moving, nasty-attitude fighters if you corner them whether they are big or small.

Post subject: req
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:59 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

dont think they're around NC

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:21 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

In our area of MA we are beginning to hear alot about Fishers. I did a search about them after seeing an an article in the local paper about a month ago. I know they are quite a threat to our smaller livestock and such. On the other end of Wrentham (our town) I have friend losing chickens to a fisher. They live next to some State or Town land. I've heard that the Fisher is quite a nasty chap to have a run in with.
I don't feel up to doing research again right now. I have a BIG headache!
:( grumblegrumble.....
Heather WIlliam and the bigcastledawgs

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:33 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

:D UP HERE IN MAINE WE HAVE BOTH MARTIN AND FISHER. AS FAR AS HOUNDS RUNNING MARTIN, I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ONE RUNNING MARTIN. THEY LIVE IN THE "BIG WOODS" AND THERE AREN'T MANY COON IN THERE. FISHER ON THE OTHER HAND, I HAVE HAD FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE ON THEM. YES THE DOGS WILL RUN A FISHER. THERE SEEMS TO BE QUITE A FEW IN THE SAME PLACES AS WHERE THE COON LIVE. A FISHER'S FAVORITE FOOD IS PORKYPINE-AKA QUIL PIGS.BUT A GOOD FOOD SOURCE FOR THE FISHER IS HOUSECAT. I KNOW IN NEW HAMPSHIRE IT IS LEGAL TO RUN FISHER WITH DOGS. HERE IN MAINE YOU CAN ONLY TRAP FISHER LEGALLY. I NEVER WANT TO RUN FISHER CAUSE THEY WON'T STAY IN THE SAME TREE FOR VERY LONG. THEY SEE YOUR LITE COMING AND THEY EITHER BAIL OUT OR JUMP TREE TOP TO TREE TOP. YOUR IN FOR A LONG NITE IF THE DOGS RUN ONE. HOPE THIS HELPS :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:04 am 
IP:
Never heard of a fisher either? But that Martin looks like a big weasle for sure! I dont think SC has either one mentioned. Atleast not in the low-country.

Post subject: Big Daddy,
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:38 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I was reading in the local article about Fishers that they will ambush animals larger than cats. (Which they find PLENTY of in our neck of the woods). Have you heard anything about that?. I also remember they are a bit bigger than the Martin... but can't remember the size. I wonder how they fair in a big population of yotes? We have a Very healthy bunch of coyotes, they REALLY like housecat.... We have very very few raccoon left, a rare fox but the possums and yotes are thick! Thankfully we don't hunt our current hounds, and when we do hunt again... it won't be near here! We'd end up with someones cat up a tree! ;) (or worse DEAD....)
Thanks the info is great. I find myself so eager to learn! Cause of my truck accident, I have fatigue syndrome... but it's JUST my Body that gets tired, my poor brain RACES! Learning helps keep it occupied.
Heather and the bigcastledawgs

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:49 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

wats a fisher

Profile  WWW