CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: killing coons, why?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:27 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i hunt squirrels and clean and eat most of them. i feed a few to my dogs. i was wondering what you do with coons. it seems wrong to kill an animal for no other reason but a $5.00 skin and throw the carcass away. reminds me of how the buffilo hunters slaughtered the buffilo. i'm not being judgemental and you do is ok by me. i just need to balance this out for myself.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: bbq
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:30 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

alot of people i know bar b q the meat around here

HOME OF:

CH PR DEAN'S WOODROW RHYMER (ABE)
GRCH PR FRANKLIN'S ALNIGHT MIGHTY MAX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:44 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

my grandfather told me there good eatin, but i havent eaten one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:10 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I kill them here.. because.. after the hide prices went so far down.. it wasnt worth anyones time to thin them out.. so we ended up with them dying of Distemper, Rabies and mange.. they were over populated.. and that was the lords way of thining them out... I believe my way of hunting and shooting them is more humane then watching one die of distemper or rabies!! Thats why i shoot them!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:03 pm 
IP:
I kill coon in areas that the land owners ask for them to be thinned out in. If I don't they are simply trapped and killed or end up dying like Susie explained. If I am hunting in some of my traditional areas I harvest very few if any. We don't have huge coon populations to start with so a little conservation goes a long ways out here. The coons I do kill are skinned or frozen whole for pup training later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:20 pm 
IP:
i eat them barbque them bake them with some taters them make some gravy ummmmmm good stuff :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Same as LCK and susie both. They are way overpopulated and are getting diseased. Also the landowners want them thinned down because they cause to much crop damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:35 pm 
IP:
I dont think the hide off a SC coon would be thick and pretty enough to sell so we dont even try it. We freeze the whole coon and sell it that way to folks that eat em. Lots of people hash em up and eat with grits or BBQ it. If you keep a freezer full untill New Years you can sell em 20.00 bucks a piece or by the pound if its a small one. Folks want em for family reunions, holidays and such because its something the young people dont mess with , only the ole timey cooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:35 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I haven't shot ANY.

I would, of course, if I happened to be in a place where they needed shooting. But for training, we get coons trapped live from a buddy whose koi pond they get into. Sometimes we give those to other coonhunters who may or may not end up shooting them once they're up in a tree... doesn't matter much... the koi pond owner would kill them himself if he didn't give them to me. The ones I've personally released out in the woods get left there after my dog finds it and trees it.

Ok, all you coon hunters get to officially laugh at me now, but I'm going to admit something: So far, I've never killed a living thing (bugs don't count). I hunt for the chase. I do it because I love my hound, and it's what he loves to do. It's also great exercise. Also, my husband hunts "for real." I just haven't felt the need to do so myself.

That being said, at some point I'll probably have to learn to shoot & skin a coon. Good thing I'm married to someone who can teach me. I agree with the others on here. Hunting is a good way to thin them, and they do need thinning. Unfortunately, the only places I know that are really overpopulated with coons are within city limits where it's illegal to discharge a firearm. :?

-Elizabeth

Last edited by Elizabeth on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:58 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

WELL, I THINK IM GONNA TRY TO COOK ME ONE!! THE MAIN REASON I SHOOT A COON OUT IS TO TRAIN MY DOGS!! LIKE POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT.... THE WAY I SEE IT, IF YOU DONT SHOOT THE COON OUT, AT LEAST MOST OF THE TIME, THE DOG HAS MORE INCENTIVE!!!

Post subject: Re: killing coons, why?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:26 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

croatankid wrote:
i hunt squirrels and clean and eat most of them. i feed a few to my dogs. i was wondering what you do with coons. it seems wrong to kill an animal for no other reason but a $5.00 skin and throw the carcass away. reminds me of how the buffilo hunters slaughtered the buffilo. i'm not being judgemental and you do is ok by me. i just need to balance this out for myself.

i was raised on squirrel brains and egg's ain't nothing better. with some bacon and grits, around here we don't take many coons because low pop. but the one's we do is pups first. ps i have smoked a coon and catfish before and not too bad, but i'll agree the catfish was better

'pr'confederate bootleggen' bud
harley my plott pup

michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:04 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I used to sell a lot of coon for eating.....Some guys still do....I quit because its against the Indiana law ...You cant sell any wild meat.....The last year I did it.. I sold them for $10.00 each .............

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: coon killin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

When I go out by myself or with hunting partners we only kill 1 coon a night where I hunt. We have about 3500 acres with cypress ponds all over. The reason I allow only 1 coon per night is Daddy cooks them and I help eat um up! The rest are sold, I trap coyotes and fox for fox pens and when somebody needs to break a dog off fox or yotes I can use their pen too. We have tons of coons and killing 1 coon a night is enough. We tree more than 1 a night we just throw the dead coon in amongst the dogs and they think its a new coons been shot out. Thats what we do here in lower S.C. -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:09 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I agree with you, croatan, and I know alot of people that kill coons to let thier dogs fight them and leave them in the woods.We make it a point to have something already set to do with any coon we kill before we ever go hunting.I give mine to an old black man I know that isn't very well off.I also give him fish, deer,turtles, rabbit, and squirrel.I'll give him a coon and he'll skin it out and when i bring another one I pick that hide up.I use coon hides for alot of things,and there's a lady in my town that makes crafts out of fur and sells them at flea markets and craft shows to get by.In a small town, people look out for each other,and I'm glad to be part of that cycle.What gets me is people that set live traps THIS time of year,not realizing that if they catch one sow and take her away, they're killing all the babies she left in the tree that need their mama.Then they complain that coon are so thin and there's no where to hunt.

By the way-it wasn't only buffalo hunters that wiped out the buffalo.If you read anything about Lewis and Clark,they tell lots of stories of the Indians running whole herds of buffalo off of cliffs only to go and retrieve one or two and leave the rest to rot.There was an outbreak of disease among the buffalo about the same period that put a dent in them as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:49 am 
IP:
Elizabeth wrote:
I haven't shot ANY.

I would, of course, if I happened to be in a place where they needed shooting. But for training, we get coons trapped live from a buddy whose koi pond they get into. Sometimes we give those to other coonhunters who may or may not end up shooting them once they're up in a tree... doesn't matter much... the koi pond owner would kill them himself if he didn't give them to me. The ones I've personally released out in the woods get left there after my dog finds it and trees it.

Ok, all you coon hunters get to officially laugh at me now, but I'm going to admit something: So far, I've never killed a living thing (bugs don't count). I hunt for the chase. I do it because I love my hound, and it's what he loves to do. It's also great exercise. Also, my husband hunts "for real." I just haven't felt the need to do so myself.

That being said, at some point I'll probably have to learn to shoot & skin a coon. Good thing I'm married to someone who can teach me. I agree with the others on here. Hunting is a good way to thin them, and they do need thinning. Unfortunately, the only places I know that are really overpopulated with coons are within city limits where it's illegal to discharge a firearm. :?

-Elizabeth

Elizabeth, I don't think anyone will laugh at you for not killing critters. It is not he kill but the chase that keeps most of us in the woods. Keep em in the woods and enjoy them hounds. You have my respect.