CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Carrying Coons???
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

TtownCooner wrote:
I know a lot of you guys hunt coons and sell the hides, which is fine, but I couldn't imagine shooting that many out here in Bama. We may "look" at anywhere from 3 to 6 a night, but we would never shoot that many out in one night. We may shoot 1 maybe 2 if a young dog does really well, other than that, we just look at them, pet the dogs real good, then turn out again. I just like to think I am insuring my self a place to hunt for years if I don't try to get them all in one season. Not trying to step on any toes, I know population is a lot more up north than here in the south, nut I would imagine there are some on here that feel the same way I do.

Now that's right leave'm for the next time!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Bring them YANKEE dogs and hunt in my neck of the woods lets see yall get 10 a night!Aint gonna happen!When we strike one we are liable to walk a mile and a half to the tree,and most of the time it was an ol smart one that's been ran 100 times and he knows he's headed to his den!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Canadian Hill Billy where in central ontario are you from I am from GoresLanding Rice Lake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:22 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Banjowalkerstyle wrote:
Bring them YANKEE dogs and hunt in my neck of the woods lets see yall get 10 a night!Aint gonna happen!When we strike one we are liable to walk a mile and a half to the tree,and most of the time it was an ol smart one that's been ran 100 times and he knows he's headed to his den!

LOL, TRUE, id love to see 6 coons any night, id get my dad to cut my dog a big thick steak the next day

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I usually skin em out while the dogs hunt on. I'll do a ''rough skin''. I'll just mainly skin the legs & arms down to the paws & skin the body to the neck then finish the fine skinning when I get home.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

when i was younger my dad bought me one of them vest that the pheasant hunters use with the pocket in the back. he would skin the coon as we went along and i carried them in the vest. it would hold about 8 TOPS!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

And of course no one ever ran a trap line and just took pics of there ol dog in front of 8-10-12 coons :lol: It's funny how the hide is always perfect like a dog never sunk a tooth in one? Guess they just tie there dogs back every single time. Heck I'm sure no one ever has done any dirty little tricks like using trapped coons for pics in the hound world :wink: I'd like to see the pics of the dogs treeing all those coons where it's obvious it's all in one night, not so called " next day " pics, but sure nuff tree pics before I'd take the bait.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:55 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i ve thought the same thing lol, i wonder how many people put their coons in a freezer and after they get a freezer full they take a picture of their dog standing in front of them telling everybody, lookie what my dog treed in a 3 hour hunt lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Here in OK we trap them in other places and release em on the good spots to run pups that way we get the hide and the pups are started on fur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I guess I am just in it for sport, the dogs, the competition between me and my hunting buddies about who's dog struck and treed first, ribbing about who ran an armadillo in the ground, treed a possum whatever whatever. (not the hides) If I decide to shoot one out, to me it's not worth my time to skin his little stinking a@% out because I know I won't get much for the hide to start with because I will not shoot one out and not let my dogs chew on it. They did all the work, they deserve it. My little gyp loves to fight one, then nothing makes her happier than to carry it away from the tree in her mouth with her tail wagging high over her back like, look what I did!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't see why people who have good dogs that can tree that many coons, have to shoot every single one of them out. they aint making the dog any better. But the main thing I hate worst of all is the ones who kill the coons just for the fun of it and braggin about it. I know some peopledo use the hides to sell them and I understand that but the ones who kill them just for the fun of killing aint no coon hunter. And befor this post rubs someone the wrong way I understand shooting out to young dogs and gettin them trained up, but we are talkin bout the ones with the finnished dogs. try treeing the coon and leaving it up the tree sometimes and have it to tree next time. GETTEM TREED,AND HAPPY HUNTING.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

david harris wrote:
I don't see why people who have good dogs that can tree that many coons, have to shoot every single one of them out. they aint making the dog any better. But the main thing I hate worst of all is the ones who kill the coons just for the fun of it and braggin about it. I know some peopledo use the hides to sell them and I understand that but the ones who kill them just for the fun of killing aint no coon hunter. And befor this post rubs someone the wrong way I understand shooting out to young dogs and gettin them trained up, but we are talkin bout the ones with the finnished dogs. try treeing the coon and leaving it up the tree sometimes and have it to tree next time. GETTEM TREED,AND HAPPY HUNTING.

I agree completely if I think my dog needs a coon im more than happy to knock one out but just because the dogs tree em don't mean u have to shoot em and I know people who make trees with two three and even four coons in one tree and kill all of em leave something for others to run or atleast for yourself the next time

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:32 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

mjwest wrote:
david harris wrote:

I agree completely if I think my dog needs a coon im more than happy to knock one out but just because the dogs tree em don't mean u have to shoot em and I know people who make trees with two three and even four coons in one tree and kill all of em leave something for others to run or atleast for yourself the next time

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

The people who would shoot them all out are nuts. I myself like to give my gyp one at least once maybe twice a month just because she likes it so much and I like to reward her with something besides a pat on the back once in a while. If you keep shooting them all, then get ready to have your dogs going half a mile before striking. We get to make 5 to 6 drops a night because we try to manage so we can have a place to hunt for years. Maybe people will stop hunting for money one day and hunt for the enjoyment of being in the woods with your dogs. This is not cowboys and Indians anymore, you don't have to sell coon hides to buy food anymore. That's what we have JOBS for.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:58 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

lol, i had a couple guys from n georgia come and get a couple pups. i took them hunting. we treed a few coon. i lit the fence row up and showed them 5 or 6 coon sitting up. they said holy crap, how does a dog ever single out one coon out with all those coon..
a yr later they called me and said the one pup had treed 4 coon the night before. he said ,now that may not sound like alot to you,but here we hunt all week to get one track.
25 yrs ago i went to mississippi and they chopped coon out just to run them and tree them again cause they did'nt have many coon.
so i know how lucky i am to have so many coon to hunt and to start young pups on.
a cattle farmer that lets me hunt his land told me he had killed 49 coon that summer that i had not killed for him hunting with my dogs last yr. i had rolled out 5 to 7 a night for over a month during the best part of season and hunted it in the spring to start pups too and rolled alot of coon out then too..
i told him, i don't really like to kill the sows knowing they got a litter of babys somewhere that will die. he said well,thats just the bad luck of being a coon aint it..
we have alot of coon, but ,that don't mean we aint got just as good a dog as the guy hunting in n georgia, tenn or mississippi does. you come here and hunt and i can put you in places that will make you think you are right back at home.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:39 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
lol, i had a couple guys from n georgia come and get a couple pups. i took them hunting. we treed a few coon. i lit the fence row up and showed them 5 or 6 coon sitting up. they said holy crap, how does a dog ever single out one coon out with all those coon..
a yr later they called me and said the one pup had treed 4 coon the night before. he said ,now that may not sound like alot to you,but here we hunt all week to get one track.
25 yrs ago i went to mississippi and they chopped coon out just to run them and tree them again cause they did'nt have many coon.
so i know how lucky i am to have so many coon to hunt and to start young pups on.
a cattle farmer that lets me hunt his land told me he had killed 49 coon that summer that i had not killed for him hunting with my dogs last yr. i had rolled out 5 to 7 a night for over a month during the best part of season and hunted it in the spring to start pups too and rolled alot of coon out then too..
i told him, i don't really like to kill the sows knowing they got a litter of babys somewhere that will die. he said well,thats just the bad luck of being a coon aint it..
we have alot of coon, but ,that don't mean we aint got just as good a dog as the guy hunting in n georgia, tenn or mississippi does. you come here and hunt and i can put you in places that will make you think you are right back at home.

If you ever in North Georgia around the Dalton area off I-75 lets go my light is always charged and dogs are ready to go.LOL Bring them layup dogs down here [joking] I wished it was thicker in coons around here ,but so many young kids that hunt will shoot every coon out they tree,and it has put a thinning on the coons.If ya got a good place keep it a secret cause they will be 5 trucks with boxes in them there before sunset if they findout about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next