CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:04 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Gov. Bob Riley signed legislation Tuesday that puts Alabama among a growing number of states giving new legal protection to people who kill intruders in their homes, businesses and vehicles.

"With this new law, the decision of crime victims who choose to protect themselves and their families won't be second-guessed," Riley said at a bill-signing ceremony.

The legislation's sponsor, Sen. Larry Means, D-Attalla, is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association. He said he patterned the legislation after a law the NRA got Florida to enact in 2005.

Indiana, South Dakota, and Mississippi recently enacted similar laws. The Georgia Legislature has passed a law that is awaiting the governor's signature, according to the NRA.

Alabama's new law, which takes effect June 1, will delete language from state law that says a person should not use deadly force during a break-in if he or she can "avoid using force with complete safety."

The legislation applies to homes, businesses, occupied vehicles and nuclear power plants. It allows a person to use deadly force "to defend himself or herself or a third person from what he or she reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of unlawful physical force by the other person."

"When you feel your life or your family is in danger from an intruder, you should be able to practice self-defense and not worry if a judge or court is going to penalize you," Riley said.

The legislation passed the Senate 30-2 in February and the House 82-9 last week. Opposition came from some black legislators and leaders of grass roots organizations who predicted it will increase vigilante justice.

"Anyone who thinks Alabama will be safer by this legislation will soon find homicides will escalate and that gunfire will be more indiscriminately used by people who have no training in firearm safety because Alabama has no minimal standards for anyone possessing a firearm," said Ronald Jackson, executive director of People United in Birmingham.

Jackson, who plans a legal challenge of the law, said it is bad for Alabama's image.

"This sends the wrong message across the country that crime is out of control and that law enforcement can't protect the people of Alabama," he said Tuesday.

Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist, said the Alabama law was long overdue.

"The pendulum has been swinging in the direction of protecting criminals for too long. Now it's swinging back toward the victims," he said.

Cox said the number of states with such laws could grow in the coming weeks because bills are pending before a dozen state legislatures that are still in session.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:57 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Thats good news..........My ex- brother-inlaw had to do that a few years ago.He lived right outside of Montgomery......The guy came in the house with a gun saying he was going to kill him....He had pulled a gun on him a few times....Every time saying he was going to kill him...The cops didnt do anything.....So one night he did it again....It happened right in front of my sister and kids...............

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:49 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I hope Arkansas get that law passed here. we shouldnt have to run scared from a crook. Not that I ever did much running anyway........

Home of PR Smokin Joe Black

God,Family,Country,and Black&Tans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

That is awesome News Buckshot, More states need to pass this law. I know New hampshire has a smiliar one pending. Forget about this state, I think here, if an illegal Alien breaks into you house he is legally protected to steal from you.

Member NRA Business Alliance
NRA Benefactor Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:21 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, I bought a gun yesterday at a gun show and me and my dad started joking about the warning label saying not to be sold in your state. Got us joking about Kennedy and guns. LOL

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:10 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Oh yea, we have an entire list of things nanny state government doesn't want us to buy. Lucky us. There is, however a movement afoot to push for legislation to allow interstate sales of pistols and revolvers. Hey with the nics on-line, no reason not to allow it! How ironic, I'll bet two coonhounds that that gun has killed less people than Ted kennedy's Oldsmobile. And they wonder why Mass is losing population.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:01 pm 
IP:
I live in SC and we have a law that allows us to protect our homes if an intruder comes in. A older couple down the road got broke into by some crack head looking for drug $$ and he had a rude awaking to finding his butt full of buck shot in the process. Thankfully this had happened after they passed the law or that same couple could have been charged with a crime while trying to protect themselves.

But allot of folks were against it for some odd reason?? I say if your law abiding it wont affect you in the first place, maybe save your life if you have to bear arms but it wont hurt you none so I backed it 100%!!!

Post subject: Intruder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm from S.C. and recently married a fine kennel cleaning woman in Alabama. I brought my S.C. law with me when I moved to Alabama. My family is more important to me than anybody wanting to do harm to them. My Grand-daddy had a saying I life by : If you mean harm here - YOU WILL BE TRIED HERE FIRST! That's what I live by today.