CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: need input!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:23 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i feel sick to my stomach after last nite. i just bought a walker for $800. she has a great ped.(noc. nailor, hic. nut harry, ect.). shes a 1 1/2 yo. i have had her for about four days. now heres what happened. we got out in the woods for the first time since i had her and she was scratching and whinin' to get out. i put on the ground and off she went, nose to the ground. she didnt get far out so i went out to her, and she looked like she was huntin. i was proud. we made two more drops and the same thing happened, but she got a little deeper each time. once again i was proud. on the way out, we saw something run across the road and up a tree. it was coon and we shot it out. we pulled her out of the box and took her close to it. she never opened, but went right where he went up the tree, smelled around and just started running around with her nose on the ground like she had all nite. she found the coon we shot out(it had jsut quit floppin) and she sniffed it and walked rite over it. she came back after a little bit and kinda smelled it and bit at its hind leg. she never once barked until we put her in the truck and layed the coon rite beside the box. then she wouldnt stop barking, but she never opened on the ground one time. the guy i bought her off of said she'll run and tree her own, but shes not a finished dog. im sicked my stomach after last night. did buy a dog thats not worth ##*%*, or was she just excited to get out? she hadnt been hunted in like two weeks. somebody let me know something. i appreciate yall reading this long post!!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:57 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

first thing> DID YOU TRY THE DOG OUT BEFORE BUYING HER. IF NOT YOU MAY HAVE JUST LEARNED ONE OF THE BIGEST THING ABOUT HUNT NOT ALL DOG SELLER ARE TRUTHFULL ABOUT A DOG. I WOULD TRAP A LIVE COOON LET THE COON OUT 5 MIN BEFORE HER AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:50 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I think you need to give her more time. She has to get used to the smells and sounds that are normal for your area so she isn't distracted by them. Why didn't you let her find the coon you shot before you shot it and give her a chance to do some of the work? Give her a week or 2 to settle in before you expect $800 worth of coon hunting out of her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:19 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i just saw something cross the road. i didnt think it was a coon 'til it hit the ground. soon as it did, i ran and got her. i thought it was a cat or a possum. it was smaller, young bore coon though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:40 am 
IP:
Keep her in the woods and give her a little time. You should see a little improvement each night out. Next time you drop her you might try keeping your light off and completely ignoring her. Give her some time to get out and hunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:59 pm 
IP:
I've had a couple young dogs through the years that I saw run and tree
down south where they were from and up here for some reason they
couldn't tree a coon. Something with the soil or different vegetation
I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:18 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i have a bluetick that tracks and trees but will not have anything to do with a ki11ed coon. once the coon hits the ground and he sees that it is ki11ed he will ignore it.

Team Milarken Ridge

we keep kids and dogs on track

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:46 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

My female is the same way. If it is dead she doesn't want it, even if it's still warm. The only exception is a squirrel that she helped hunt, then she wants to carry it home (or eat it before I can take it away from her) :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:13 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i talked to the guy a bought her from and i told him like im telling yall now. she got it in her blood! everything about her just screams "COON DOG". and im gonna give her every chance in the world to prove to me she is a coon dog. if it dont turn out, then ill use her for a brood bitch and i should get my money back fairly easily. i dont think that will happen though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have hunted with the dog you bought. What you need to do is give her time to get used to you. I believe what you got was a started dog as Cmill told you. The dog would split tree from the other dogs from time to time. What the dog really needs is to be hunted alone, maybe turn out a coon and let it get gone for several minutes so you know for sure you have a good track a time or two, but from what I saw in this female was she needed hunted alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:10 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I had a Walker one time that was as solid a coon dog as they come.He'd hunt all night, tree all night, and was as accurate as any dog I've ever seen,and was a vicious kill dog.He would not, however, even look at a caged or dead coon.Once a coon was shot out and the fight was over, he was ready to go hunting again.Even if you put a caged coon in the truck and he could SMELL it, he knew the dog box wasn't where he wanted to hunt, so he didn't give it a second thought.When you cut him loose at night, though, he was all business.Pretty smart, and darn easy to handle.Sounds like you may have one of those dogs on your hands.Keep hunting her- she'll show you what she's got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:50 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

thanks guys.... ive hunted her mon. and tues. and it seems to me as if she getting better every night. the first night she never even opened, but mon. night, she opened and i think she might have even been trailing one. last night i took her to the same place and she opened and trailed (i think) for good while and then she just came back to the truck. point is, shes getting better i think, but how do i know if shes trailin' or just barking for the hell of it? ive had a trap out for a couple of days now and still no coon so i cant get 'er a forsure fresh track. everybodies comments and suggestions are appreciated!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:53 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

bns3, i have been hunting her by herself. like i said shes seems to be doing better and better and gettin deeper each time a make a drop. she acts likes shes hunting, but ive never seen a dog that tight lipped in the woods. maybe coons just arent movin good right now are something. well this weekend im takin' her to my dads so she can hunt with our COON DOG. maybe that'll help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:29 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Try hunting her over a feeder.And remember, the sows are either denned up or getting ready to den up to have us some coon to run this winter.