CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Do you think breeding a young dog will ruin them?
yes 20%  20%  [ 7 ]
no 37%  37%  [ 13 ]
depends on the dog 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
i dont know 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 35
 Post subject: Breeding a dog
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:06 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

ive seen all these people talking about breeding dogs... personally i think a dog should be a solid hunting dog before you breed them. the youngest dog ive ever bred was almost 4... ive seen people breed young dogs and then expect to finish their training afterwards and then come to find out their training has been set back and they cant figure out why... you could have what you think is the next world hunt winner at a year old and then by 3 or 4 theyre worth no more than your neighbors yard dog. people will also breed dogs with great faults (wheather it being ill or bad confirmation) just because they dont wanna buy a puppy from someone... arent you supposed to better the breed of the dogs when you breed- and also arent you only supposed to breed only if your dog meets breed standards?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Breeding a dog
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:18 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

ItsOlMander wrote:
people will also breed dogs with great faults (wheather it being ill or bad confirmation) just because they dont wanna buy a puppy from someone... arent you supposed to better the breed of the dogs when you breed- and also arent you only supposed to breed only if your dog meets breed standards?

I don't know about dog age & breeding. My male is almost 3 and I haven't bred him yet. I hope to someday, but I wouldn't breed him to a dog with a major defect. I also wouldn't breed him to one with a minor defect if my dog had the same defect. It's all about making the breed better. I agree with you, it's irresponsible to breed a dog just because you want a "free" puppy. Because then you've just added half a dozen or more other puppies to the population, none of which are any better than the dog you started with. I think my dog's great, but he's not perfect, and when I breed him, part of the goal is to make at least one pup that's even better than either sire or dam.

-Elizabeth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:46 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

My opinion is you should strive to better the breed. I see a lot of people on here and other message boards who never bred their best dog that they really love-the dog is getting on in years and they want a pup from it. I can't really blame them for wanting a pup that way but it still isn't the best thing to do unless their dog is a good one in other people's eyes too (not just sentimental reasons) and they breed to a good female.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Sure doesnt help them any. Puts them behind quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:04 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

to answer the question whether breeding a dog young will ruin them, i say no. i don't have experience with coonhounds but i do have a lot experience with pit bulls. with females as a rule no one should breed on their first heat. males can have a little more leeway, if they have proven to be a good solid dog.

i personally don't breed a dog until they have shown all desirable traits first. i don't care what other people think of my dogs. i would advise against breeding a dog because someone else likes/dislikes your dog. people lie, people are envious, and some people don't have the standards that you may have(either they are easier on a dog or they may be harder on a dog, only you know what you are looking for). if you have a dog that you feel is a good solid dog but is lacking something(speed, accuracy, pressure on tree, etc.)then you breed them to a dog that either has all that your dog has PLUS what you are missing or is also a very solid dog AND has what you are missing. point being find a dog that has what your dog is missing and breed to it(provided the dog is a good solid dog as well).

i don't have a problem with people breeding dogs that may not be up to you or my standards long as they 1.keep those pups to themselves or 2.when they do sell those pups let it be known what defects could arise. in the pit bull arena we say it takes all types of people to keep the breed alive. the peddlers keep the dogs from being a rare breed, the hunters keep the blood pure(meaning they are breeding for what they are were orginally bred for), and the show people keep the dogs looking pretty plus they are a breeds best PR person. there are situations sometimes where joe schmo will have a bluetick that hunts well(has some defects), but jane doe has a bluetick that hunts well too so they stick them. they like their two dogs and would like a pup off of them. in my book that is okay, i would say that they should look to have places for their pups before they make that breeding. if they can't have places for those pups prior to breeding then i would tell them not to do it until they can find places for their pups.

that's just my .02 on the idea....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:49 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i had a young female that would not do any thing in the woods and she was real hard to handle and a older man told me to breed her and it would change her so i did and after she had her pups its like you fliped a swich on her

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

scotti garrett wrote:
i had a young female that would not do any thing in the woods and she was real hard to handle and a older man told me to breed her and it would change her so i did and after she had her pups its like you fliped a swich on her

bad thing about that is you are creating a line of dogs that will be hard to deal with. your gyp will drop that trait into her pups also. if not those pups possibly the grand-pups. if you plan to keep your stock close that's cool, but if you sell outside your circle you have to let people know about that trait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:43 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i gave them to a guy that was going to run deer with them