CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Light Choices
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm in the market for a new light, and it seems every company makes *ALMOST* what I want, but not exactly what I want.

So far I've narrowed it down to the Bright Eyes Double Death Goldfever, a 21v belt light (K-light) with G2 head, or a 21v standard belt light (also K-Light).

The standard white led lights make the tree look washed out to me, I have a lot of trouble seeing fur in them. This has me drawn to the old style adcon heads, I've always heard their more yellow light would make spotting for easier.

I also would like more adjustment than most led lights have. I really care less about the brightest light out there than I do about a light I can dim down lower and turn up almost as bright, if that makes sense.

So far i have some pros and cons.

21v adcon pros: warm light for easy fur spotting/ rheostat switch for dimming/ tried and true hunting lights, were the standard for years.
Cons: burn times very low/ expensive bulbs that will inevitably blow/ belt lights always get hung up on everything for me.

21v G2 pros: long burn times, can have an amber led built in, no bulbs to replace, very bright, rheostat switch.
Cons: ugly, hard to spot in, white LED light/ belt light is a hassle.

Bright Eyes Goldfever pros: long burn times/colored LEDs/ walk lights built in (no pop covers)/ cap light doesnt get hung up as much.
Cons: No rheostat, positional click switch for brightness adjustment.

If anyone has, or has seen a Goldfever in action, how is the "warm white led"? Is it really similar to an old adcon style head? Does it keep the led from washing out fur against the tree?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: New Light Choices
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:44 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hey, I know I am responding to a post several months old, but I figured I would put my two cents worth here. For several years I hunted with older belt style lights, and I definitely could find Coon in some trees with those that I don't think I would have found with some of the ultra bright LED lights. I agree that sometimes they are so bright but the coons fur blends in with the tree... But LED lights have come a long ways in the last 10 years. the warmer light LEDs have a more yellow tint to them, and I don't have a problem finding Coon with them. it also seems like they have lower brightness settings than they used to. I have a sunspot mini, which is not the brightest light by far, but it is plenty bright and has red, green, flood, and three levels of spot. I can turn it low enough and can usually get a coon to look, especially with the red light. I know I am not directly answering your question, I have never seen that particular light in action, but I am just trying to say that once I went to a LED cap light, I can't stand to wear a heavy battery on my belt ever again! and I can hunt multiple nights between charges, which I could never do without LED's....

Post subject: Re: New Light Choices
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am very satisfied with the Bright Eyes Double Death Reaper. I really like the red and amber lens under the main beam. Really helps for the Coon to look, if you don't go into the tree with the white lights on first. At least this is what I find to work.