CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My red bone
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 3 yr old female haven't had her but few months hunted her last 6 weeks of season she did great killed 12 coon off her her best night was 2 which was last day I take her out tonghit she treed a smiley I hooked her up told her she did bad turned her out another spot an she went in to a corn field an caught one I don't understand why she's doin this after shooting 12 coon to her any ideas on wat I can do!!!!!she treed one the very first time I hunted her I'm just lost for words cause I no wat kind of dog she is PLEASE HELP

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: My red bone
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Dont do anything crazy- just keep hunting her. Its not uncommon for hounds early on in their "career" to tree a couple possums. Most that do, will get over that without any drastic action. They will figure out that you arent out there to get possums. Don't get too upset with her. Continue to reward the good(treeing coon) and gently curb the bad(possum) behavior. Contrary to what many people will tell you, you do NOT have to beat a dog with a dead possum......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Iv been told to beat her with a possum shake collar tie one toe her ect idk Iv never felt with this 6 possums total I just wanna take care of this before it's outa hand I'm gettin a older dog that's suppose to be a no trash dog trees hard do ya think that'll show her anything or make it worse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

if she doesnt break off possums in the next month, get a shock collar and when you see she has a possum, just walk off and shock her until she leave the possum tree. Keep walking and ignore the dog and eventually she will find out that treeing possums is a painful experience.

This will cure the vast majority of dogs with possum issues.

You dont need to spend $400 on an expensive system. I ordered one of these off ebay for a buddy for $32. It is waterproof, has 1000 yd range and worked fine. I have a dt systems but I rarely use it unless I have a young hound that needs corrected. Shock collars can be very useful when used correctly, but they can ruin a hound if the user gets carried away.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm gonna start her on that training tonight if she puts one up

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

possoms are easy game to tree and some young hounds love them. On the first one or two that a young hound trees I just lead them away. But if they keep doing it then I will try this. When I go into that possom tree I take the young offender up with his or her front legs off the ground and take them about ten feet away from that tree. As soon as I let that hound go I go back to that tree and now I own that tree where the possom is . If that hound tries to come back to that tree I will discourage that hound by slapping my lead against the tree or a pair of boots with chaps that will make a loud sound. Let them know that they are wrong without beating them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

U think she can be broke at 3 I took her out last night an she done awesome had 2 treed in same tree stayed put treen hard I was really proud of her an I let her no it to [emoji106]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree with the other guys I wouldn't sweat it a lot at all. Like said posumes are easy stupid animals to tree. Any hound that is tree driven takes a lot of will power to walk past a posume in a tree its natural to want to bark at it. a lot of young hounds start out treeing posumes. I have a walker he treed some posumes early on in his career. Don't ever shoot them out and just let the dog know it is doing wrong. Most dogs will realize when they tree a posume they don't get the fur and they get scolded so they quit doing it. I have a male walker I got him as a pup he would tree an occasional posume his first 2 seasons. he was 2 1/2 this season we killed 138 coon and he treed zero posume. You can bet he passed up many posume in all the nights we hunted. Just keep on hunting and id say the dog will come out of it just fine. I am not opposed at all to shocking a dog on a posume but I would use less harsh measures for awhile and feel your dog out first to see if that will work before you shock them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:45 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm gonna hunt her hard an see how she does in the coming months

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sounds good, also you mentioned taking her with an older straight hound. I don't think this will hurt any but I also don't think another hound is going to show her not to tree posume. I think this is an issue your going to have to single her out and work with her on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I took her out few times this week an she did great iv been runnin her with an young dog 9months old an she's been goin on her own she's treed 2 in a tree an 2 in the same hole idk maybe she'll straighten herself out I let her no she's been doin really good pettin her up really well