CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

He's a hound he's breed to do it he'll fig it out I'm sure ur puttin effort in him he'll return the favor

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well I did what yall said and I'm sure if it was on video I could of won 10,000 dollars on AFV. I let the coon go assuming he would go to a fairly close tree and climb right on up like the two others have done. Boy was I wrong, this dude took off and never looked back so I took off to see where he was going and by that time he hit a creek and was gone. Went back and led the dog down to where I let the coon go and he took off on the track going right where I saw the coon go last but needless to say we never found the coon. He tracked for several minutes but never went to a tree or even barked for that matter. I'm sure it was a funny sight to see but very frustrating on my end. I have been taking him on his own about 2-3 nights a week for the last 2-3 weeks but its the same thing, he goes off about 300-400 yards, never barks and I wait for 25-30 minutes and call him back and we go home. I know it takes time and a lot of work but it is getting frustrating because I don't know how to tell if he knows what he is supposed to be going after. Any thing else I could try or just keep trapping coons and going that route?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Buddy I'd just keep taken him out as much as u can an keep runnin him where u think coons are an I'd say he'll start showin interest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Give him as many coons as u can make him want them

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Has he had a coon shot at to him

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Walking pete- Keep up what you are doing. Hard work pays off. I would release a few more coons and he should catch on and show you the tree. Once you knock it out a couple times, he will figure it out

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

all u can do is keep showin an puttin him where coon are till they show interest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I started my redbone without an older dog at first he wasn't sure what he was doing but he was getting fresh scent a lot and he got the hang of it for me it was a lot of time out in the woods with no coon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well its been a while and I've been working him still. I was finally able to trap a few coons, one of which some how got out of the trap after I brought him home lol. The other coon I soaked in water and let him go then about 10 minutes later I cut my dog loose who had not seen the coon and about 12-15 minutes later he opened up and started treeing. He was about 250 yards away and when I let that coon out that sucker was hauling butt lol. This is the first time he had ever done anything on his own and he never let a tracking bark out just tree. We waited a few minutes and headed toward him low and behold there the coon was up in the tree. Well I took him out tonight the the same story of him running out several hundred yards, never opening up, coming back and us going home. I did shoot the caged coon out to him after he treed. Should I continue to let loose caged coons for him?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Great!!!!!!!If it was me I'd just continue hunting him one on one in the woods as much as possible he no's wat a coon is just continue putting him in the woods!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:02 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

do this exact thing a few more times. Then hunt him where he can get after an easy coon- just do short hunt for a while. You will have a coondog soon!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

So it wont hurt to trap a few more coons and do the same thing? When he treed that coon it was late in the day so it wasn't dark not that I think that would matter but I thought about trying to trap a few more and taking him out to where we hunt and letting the coon go and waiting a bit then letting him go.

I don't wanna let out too many caged coons for him and it be easy but I figure doing it a few more times wont hurt?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Catch u a few more an soak it down really good an let it go at night in the woods then let ur dog go see wat happens!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm getting my traps back out tomorrow and I'll be doing just that. Hopefully it turns out as good as the last time! Crazy feeling hearing your dog tree for the first time on his own!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

That's wat hooked me on coon hounds!!!!Music to my ears I love nothing more than hearing my redbone treein or opening on track

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next