CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: No older dogs to go with
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A buddy and I recently purchased some walker dogs, one male 16 months and a female 10 months. They had been some what worked with but not to the point where they can go out on their own. I have seen many post that say to take them with older dogs. Well what happens if you don't have older dogs to go with? While we do know some guys that have older dogs we can't always go on the same night and I hate to rely on them just so I can go. Sometimes they can only go one night a week and I can go 3-4. Our dogs will both go out in the woods up to maybe 150-200 yards but I'm not sure they know what to do. I have taken mine by himself a couple of times but he just seems to wander around in the woods and never opens up and after 15 minutes or so he comes back to the truck.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Catch a live coon an let it go an turn ur dog loose after a few min an let it track it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have done that once so far and he ran the track and even found the tree the coon was in but never barked just sat there wagging his tail looking up in the tree. I'm not sure he knows to bark once he trees or on the track.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ya u need another hound to show him to bark on a tree forsure if ur close to Ohio I have a good redbone that'll show him Wats goin on

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:41 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

you don't have to have another dog. just keep exposing your dog to coon and make him want em. the dog will tree bark once it wants the coon bad enough.
all another dog does is expose your dog to coon. same thing you can do with released coon. another dog does not teach a dog to track and it does not teach a dog to tree.
a coon hound does not learn to bark treed, it is born to tree bark for anything it wants bad enough.
its gonna take more than one released coon along with many many boot tracks in the woods to make a coon dog.

Last edited by toe cutter on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A guy gave me a walker pup, it was my first coon dog ever. I had absolutely no one to hunt with. I did drags used caged coon and walked him many miles without killing a coon. Along with asking questions on this site. He caught on fairly quick from what I know. treed his first coon at 7 months at the end of season. killed maybe 40-50 on his own the next season when he was 1.5 year old and we just finished this season he is 2.5 now, with 138 coon. He was self taught and what I taught him and that's it. It definetly doesn't take another hound to make a dog just lots of time. granite its probably a lot easier to have a finished hound to get your pup started.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

So I guess I just need to take him as much as I can and hope he catches on? Did y'all go through several nights of your dog just being out in the woods with no bark? He will bark on a caged coon but I don't want him to see too many in a cage.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:41 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

pre train him and expose him to the coon before you take him to the woods to hunt.
scent lock his brain on coon before you ever take him and free cast him at night to hunt.. you need to trigger his prey drive, and you need to trigger it on coon.

Last edited by toe cutter on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Listen to TC he has some of the best no BS advice on this site or anywhere ive found. I asked him many questions when I was starting out. and yes I had many nights that my pup never made a peep, or nights he would run track a few hundred yards and come back to me, but he knew what a coon was and he knew what he wanted to do it just took many nights of practicing and building on what he knew to get it done. Once the dog trees one by itself then you know it can do it and its just a matter of building upon from there on out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Listen to TC he has some of the best no BS advice on this site or anywhere ive found. I asked him many questions when I was starting out. and yes I had many nights that my pup never made a peep, or nights he would run track a few hundred yards and come back to me, but he knew what a coon was and he knew what he wanted to do it just took many nights of practicing and building on what he knew to get it done. Once the dog trees one by itself then you know it can do it and its just a matter of building upon from there on out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I believe with a older dog it helps ur dog have confidence an shows ur dog alittle bit I ran my dog twice with a older dog that's all she needed I ran her alone since I'd say both ways work it's ur preference

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well I have my trap out down in a creek bottom and I will check it after work. Do ya'll recommend me even showing it to him in the cage? I have done this once before and he did go crazy on it. If i have one in the trap and I let the coon out and then the dog and he finds the tree should I go ahead and shoot the coon out and let the dog fight it then use that coon as a drag?

He goes back to Coma and Trackman. I know that doesn't automatically make him a great dog but seems like he has the bloodline.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:24 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

walkingpete wrote:
Well I have my trap out down in a creek bottom and I will check it after work. Do ya'll recommend me even showing it to him in the cage? I have done this once before and he did go crazy on it. If i have one in the trap and I let the coon out and then the dog and he finds the tree should I go ahead and shoot the coon out and let the dog fight it then use that coon as a drag?

He goes back to Coma and Trackman. I know that doesn't automatically make him a great dog but seems like he has the bloodline.

I would let the coon go with the dog tied back so he sees it run off the first time. maybe a short distance across a field.

Last edited by toe cutter on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:40 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Ohiocoonhunter81 wrote:
I believe with a older dog it helps ur dog have confidence an shows ur dog alittle bit I ran my dog twice with a older dog that's all she needed I ran her alone since I'd say both ways work it's ur preference

in this young mans case the dog is 16 months old and it would take awhile before it would ever buddy up to a strange dog and since he does not have another broke dog to start his dog with, then he has to be the other dog. and he can accomplish the same thing without another dog.
whether its with another dog or with the man as the trainer dog it works the same way. expose the dog to coon and make it want coon.

Last edited by toe cutter on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree 100% well said tc wish he was closer we could give him a hand