CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: From squirrel to coon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

hey guys/gals im new here and i have a couple questions. I have a 2 year old OMC that i squirrel hunt with and in my opinion he's a pretty good squirrel dog, but over this past summer i've showed him a couple caged coons and he went crazy barking at it, so i tried hunting him at night and he dosent really seem interested in going out and hunting like he does during the day. He usually won't get more than 40-50 yards at night. Ive probably had him out maybe 10 times. I really think he has it in him, and i want to give him ample opportunity to catch on but i don't want to waste my time either..I'm sorry about the long post, but any advice y'all have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:12 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

does he hunt squirrel primary by sight, or by scent? If he really likes to see the squirrel... then you may have a hard time at night coon hunting. Did you release the caged coon and let him tree it? I wouldnt let him see any more coon, but releasing one and giving him a hot scent to trail might work fine. Just let the coon run for 3 or 4 minutes and go get the dog and see if he will run it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

He's not a sight treeing dog he hunts by scent. I turned the coon loose and because the coon seemed to be hurt/ sick he only went a few hundred yards and went into a thick patch of bushes. He trailed him up and after a couple shakes he was dead. That's why I think he has it in him. Just having problems getting him to go out and hunt like he does during the day .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I hunt and train Black and Tan coonhounds I also have a OMC around the house.When I lay a drag,turn a live coon out I will tie the OMC because he will find the coon before my pups do.Good Luck