CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Finally at it!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

First thread here, had a great night and just had to share. A few months back I was given a 10 month old walker/bluetick dog by my cousin who simply didn't have time to train two pups. I hunted with my cousins dogs for a few nights that first week, and my dog seemed to click and treed up with his old bluetick. He told me that I needed to start hunting him alone at that point. Having two pups together was getting frustrating anyways, so I started hitting the bottoms alone with my dog. Two months later, all he's managed to tree is an opossum I kicked up while walking out one night...until tonight! Fifteen minutes into the hunt he treed a big boar coon in a waist deep swamp (I got soaked.) As soon as I collected he hit another track, and a few minutes later had a second coon treed up! After two I decided to end on a good note and leash him up and walk out. It really is a special feeling when months of wearing out boot leather with a stubborn dog finally pay off and it all comes together!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Finally at it!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:58 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Way to go, hang in there. Keep hunting

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:19 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have witnessed hounds many times that seemed to "flip a switch".... after several frustrating nights, all of a sudden they just start getting the job done right!!
Now the real fun begins! Hunt that dog as hard as you can this season, and he will make you proud!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Congrats!!! You're hooked now.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah buddy, truth is I've been hooked since the first night! Took him out Monday and had no luck. Last night was funny though, he doesn't hunt out but about 50-75 yards from me (really want him to go a lot deeper), but he winded something, took off, even opening up on track and treed it. Once I caught up to him the tree would be empty and he'd realize it, then start nosing around until he struck again. Each time with nothing there. You think he was just getting the slicked by a smart old coon over and over? This went on about 45 minutes or an hour.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well, so much for working close. The second I unleashed him tonight he took off. Took maybe 5 minutes, and I heard him treed up. Didn't open on track, and I had trouble finding eyes. Thought he got slicked and tried leading him in a circle around the tree, but he went straight back to it. Sure enough, he had the meat! Couldn't get him to head out after a second, but I'm more than satisfied with his work tonight and grinned ear to ear the whole way home!
ImageImage