CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am really thinking about getting a coonhound. But with all the different breeds and not knowing how each hunts it's a pain trying to figure it out.
I've only hunted with relatives 2 walkers and they can be a pain in the a $$. I have a friend that has a redone but I have never hunted with them.
The little I have found about the pros and cons between all the different breeds isn't enough to make a decision.
I am looking for a dog that is at least obedience trained when I get it.One the is somewhat easy to train on coon and one that is more calm than the walkers and not run so far while searching. Needs to be kind and gentle when at home but not shy when it comes to hunting. I guess a more laid back dog than the walker.
From what I've seen on here a black n tan might be a good choice. But like I said I don't know enough about all the coonhound breeds to make a decision.
It would not be a housepet but it would be nice to be able to take it with me to go fishing or just for a ride and it can sit in the front seat.
Also would cold nose or hot nose be better. I would be sometimes hunting with my relatives walkers.
Oh and male or female.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:23 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

At the end of the day, all breeds have some very good hounds and some very bad hounds! It really is a matter of your preference. I own a walker who is 100% coondog- she will tree coons in any weather... But somedays she just drives me nuts. She crosses rivers, climbs trees, digs in holes after coons(last winter she was in a hole for 3 hours....)... She is coon crazy! She can be very very long legged too. I have walked miles and miles after her.
My breed of choice is redbone- I currently have 3. I think that the redbones I have had are easy to handle. None of the redbones I have had have been "Go yonder" dogs that you found 2 miles away every time you turn loose. They have all had a great drive to hunt... Nothing I hate more that a lazy dog that wont go hunting!
The main reason I hunt redbones is because the best hound I have ever had and probably ever will have was a redbone female- DEADLY Accurate, 1st tree dog almost every single tree, hard,hard treedog!!! ... You will usually find that when a person is loyal to a particular breed, its because that was the first REAL GOOD hound they got.

I prefer female hounds... but I have hunted with some very nice males too!

As far as what type of coondog is right for you, I do not know. However, If you want a dog to be obedienced trained before you get it, you may be looking for a long time. My best trained dog is one I raised from day 1. Also Curs generally handle really well.

I think you should go hunting with several guys and see all their hounds in action and then decide which one you want to try.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've been doing more research. And I see that a Redbone is not really suited for cold climates. I live in Northern Michigan and it gets cold and we get a lot of snow. The dog I get will be outside in a dog house like most other coondogs. I had a beagle for 14 years and I will not have another dog on a chain. It will be in a pen. My beagle actually hurt his neck by pulling on his chain. I had to keep him in a pet crate for a month so he could heal.
After the little research I have done I'm leaning towards the Redbone. But From what I gather walkers not really that bad. Except for the wondering.
Well I can't have a puppy in the house that is why I said a obedience trained dog. Not leaving a puppy out in the cold. But I guess there might be a little older dogs that people are getting rid of that are not trained yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:59 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

RTWojo wrote:
I've been doing more research. And I see that a Redbone is not really suited for cold climates. I live in Northern Michigan and it gets cold and we get a lot of snow.

I am interested in seeing your research that says that. Would you mind posting that info here (your sources).

There are 7 breeds of Coonhounds, each can handle the snow and cold equally. Where ever your finding your research, I would advise to look elsewhere as that is junk.

I think these pics speak for themself:

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:34 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

First of all there is no choice...you just get a redbone.

I agree with Buckshot I'm in western NY and have no problem with my redbone. All dogs will cut up their pads on the ice, and you have to have proper housing for any dog to stay warm.

I also have pretty much what you are looking for. Mine is my wife's pet and my hound. He comes when called, sits, shakes and goes running with my wife. The problem with training them like that is it takes a long time to get them to run off in the woods and hunt. My last dog (also a redbone) didn't run off to hunt until he was 2.5 years old. Not to say they don't hunt they just hunt very close. Again that's my dogs opinions may vary. I do work on it though and eventually they learn the difference and are fine. My last one near the end (he was hit by a car at 3.5 years old) my wife had turned into a full time house dog.

Some say that redbones learn a little slower. I'm not going to deny it but I kind of like that. Especially if this is your first coondog they pick up bad training slower too. A lot of people say the dogs that start slower make for better dogs in the end and I tend to agree with that.

When I got into it 5 years ago my deciding factor was the sound of the dogs. I love the way redbones sound. Can't stand walkers, B&T and blues aren't bad. I also like bigger dogs so I went red.

Not everything is breeding although some people will say so. To me those are the people that don't train their dogs. Don't get me wrong a poorly bred dog is harder to train and a well bred dog is easier. But its still how well you train them. IMHO

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:11 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

As far as the cold weather.... all coonhounds have fairly thin coats... but I never had any problem with redbones in the cold. I live in northern Illinois. 2 years ago the weather here was -29 actual temperature. Never had any problems with my hounds. Just be smart about it- make sure they have good kennels and good bedding. The most important thing a dog can have in extreme cold is water and plenty of food. A dog burns tons of calories just staying warm. I use heated water bowls so the hounds all have fresh water all day. Almost every dog that freezes to death dies from lack of water

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:41 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I missed your male or female question. To me that really depends on you. Males are generally larger. To me that was a plus I like bigger dogs. Females go into heat so a) people tend to hunt them less and b) you could end up with an unwanted litter.

As for hunting I've seen both genders go both ways. To me that doesn't make a difference.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Buckshot. Here is the link about redbones not good for cold climates.
http://dogs.petbreeds.com/l/129/Redbone-Coonhound

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm going to look at a english bluetick at the pound that hasn't had any training. It's a 6 month old male. It was gone from the pound.
Back to looking.

I guess it wouldn't have to have any training just be old enough to be outside. Then I can trsin it tbe way I want.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:16 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

RTWojo wrote:
Buckshot. Here is the link about redbones not good for cold climates.
http://dogs.petbreeds.com/l/129/Redbone-Coonhound

Was that the only source you found that said did not do good in cold climates?

Yea, the very first paragraph on that page says:

Quote:
Description: The Redbone Coonhound is a large purebred known for being aggressive, gentle, loyal, out-going, quiet, and social. The most common colors for Redbone Coonhounds are golden, red, and white. To keep it healthy, it will need to get exercise regularly. Known to be multi-talented, the Redbone Coonhound participates in a wide variety of activities such as hunting, search and rescue, and tracking.

White as a color?????? HUH????????

Here is the UKC Breed Standards:

Quote:
COLOR

Solid red preferred, small amount of white on brisket or feet not objectionable.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Breeds/S ... nd01012011

When doing research, you may want to avoid the pet sites........expecially when it states: Low Adaptability: Though this breed can handle the heat, it won't tolerate cold climate areas.

Not even going to comment on the "known for being aggressive"

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Some of the big time redbone guys are in the north like the red fever red bones.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Buckshot,
That link is not really what I was researching. I was wanting to know more in depth characteristics of all the different breeds to compare their faults and their strengths.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Easy choice, buy a walker haha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yah get a walker. Mine is a family pet and he hunts to. Very gentle dog with my kids. Very quick learns, heck my daughter has him jumping thru her hula hoop and doing other meaning less tricks. It is quite a sight to see. Because he is not a small dog (80lb) He pulls like a beast for me on a lead back to the woods, but walks on the lead for her like he is a show dog. I chalk it up to him getting excited to go hunting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:56 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Don't listen to those walker guys. LOL That site was garbage! How can they be considered an aggressive breed but good with kids? Their definition of aggressive probably comes from people use them for hunting.

Profile  WWW